GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had been planning this for weeks. Finally had a warm day, no rain, and no other activities to get in the way. Temperature was perfect. Started out 89F, cooled down to 80F by the end of the drive.

Before I started, I inflated my tires to 60 PSI, from their usual 52 PSI.

I only stopped once during the drive
A police officer pulled me over wanting to know what I was doing. Told him I was testing the electrical range and he let me on my way!

I was averaging 8.5 miles / kWh before it got dark forcing me to turn on my lights. I ended with 8.35 miles / kWh at the end of my drive.

This "test" was round trip to the same charger and there was virtually no elevation change on my drive.

·
Registered
13,563 Posts
So Ari C, you've got to give us more details about the trip. What speed did you select to attempt this feat? How long were you driving? Hiw much range did you have left when you made it back? How did you find any place where you didn't have to stop (except for the popo "It's the PoPo... Act naturally!)

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I averaged 23 MPH, my speed varied from 20 to 25 MPH where I coasted some in neutral. I had 0 miles left when I finished! I found a section of road where it was possible to drive continuously without ever stopping. The beauty is there are free chargers right on this road!

·
Registered
13,563 Posts
I averaged 23 MPH, my speed varied from 20 to 25 MPH where I coasted some in neutral. I had 0 miles left when I finished! I found a section of road where it was possible to drive continuously without ever stopping. The beauty is there are free chargers right on this road!
What would you have done if that 0 miles of range turned on your ICE to end your ice avoidance streak?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What would you have done if that 0 miles of range turned on your ICE to end your ice avoidance streak?
That wasn't going to happen. When it dropped to zero bars, I circled by the charger for something like 0.3 miles until the range dropped to zero. I had it all planned out!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Are you single or retired?
How do you have this kind of time to do this stuff?!

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you single or retired?
How do you have this kind of time to do this stuff?!
Neither, it's called Memorial Day, so I had the day off.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Pretty amazing. Better than I thought possible. Didn't GM sponsor a writer who ran the Volt around a track? I don't think he did as well.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
The 60 psi seems dangerous to risk a tire malfunction. 52 is also high enough to push it past the max pressure rating.

I do want to run mine a little harder but have been happy with 41, warmed to 42-43 when driving.

·
Registered
13,563 Posts
The 60 psi seems dangerous to risk a tire malfunction. 52 is also high enough to push it past the max pressure rating.

I do want to run mine a little harder but have been happy with 41, warmed to 42-43 when driving.
It's probably fine at 25 MPH. It might have been an issue at highway speeds.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
You now have left the door open for someone to try 90 miles on a charge.....
I think if Ari had a 2014 Volt, he could do it, as the '14 Volt has about 9-10% more usable capacity than a 2012.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Where did you find a road in the DC area where you didn't have to stop?! ;)

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
524 Posts
Neither, it's called Memorial Day, so I had the day off.
Where can you find the kind of elevation free roads, and more than that...traffic free roads for such an experiment? I live in Nebraska with a lot of rural areas, but we and we have no such places to travel like that which I am aware of. Perhaps hundreds of miles away in the western part of the state but finding such a place would take days and hundreds of miles of driving on a gamble.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
The record for the Chevy Spark EV was done on a race track. So anyone who wants to establish their own EV range record can ask for time on a private race track, too.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Where did you find a road in the DC area where you didn't have to stop?!
Its called a parking lot. Isn't that where you did the 70 miles?

Nice job. On the 80+. I wonder if someone will be dumb enough to try this with a 2014.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I just stood up and applauded you! Congratulations! Wonder how my 2014 Volt could do . . . hmmm . . .

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
I just stood up and applauded you! Congratulations! Wonder how my 2014 Volt could do . . . hmmm . . .
Let ari borrow your 2014 for a day! I'm sure he's willing to find out. :D

1 - 20 of 40 Posts