GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The numbers I looked at appear to show GM DID NOT hit 200k in the 3rd Qtr. It does appear they will hit it in the 4th qtr. So get ready to say good by to the $7500. You will be eligible for that amount of tax credit most likely only through Jan, Feb, and March 2019. I plan to order my 2019 the middle of October so it will be on the ground in January.
If anybody has any better or my exact info...please feel free...

·
Registered
623 Posts
I doubt there will be any changes in Model year roll over. You may get better pricing on a Year end 2018 plus the tax credit.

I just drove a 2018 premiere edition as loaner for 4 days last week while warranty work was being done on our 2013. It was amazing to see the improvements implemented into it. Neither me or my wife wanted to give it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2018......Guess I should have been clearer. My mistake! ( But you are right ..Volt 2.0 was a solid improvement over the first Gen cars) I meant info on the phase out of the tax credit.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I upgraded form a 2013 to 2018 Premier with ACC and I am in love! I have put nearly 3k miles on it in just under a month and a half. My work commute is 176miles round trip (granted I stack my shifts and stay in a motel that has a free charging station). ACC is a must have for the daily grind. The Volt is such a great commuter car.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Also posted this in the Bolt EV topic for the sales numbers, but this was my assessment based on GM's slow Q2 deliveries and focus on foreign (principally Korean) markets:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Ford says they will have a plug-in F150 in 2020. I assume GM will fight back with Chevy and GMC plug-ins pickups, but without the tax rebate. I predict GM will get whipped pretty badly in the electrified truck segment until Ford and RAM tax credits phase out.

·
Registered
464 Posts
My prediction is that within the next 2 to 3 years congress will change the law to level the playing field again. To penalize the first movers, those manufacturers that paved the way for the others, makes no sense. This will change.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My prediction is that within the next 2 to 3 years congress will change the law to level the playing field again. To penalize the first movers, those manufacturers that paved the way for the others, makes no sense. This will change.
What you say makes perfect sense....but I fear you may be over-optimistic with a Congress which is paralyzed with division.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Only if non-US auto manufacturers start making EVs and getting this credit will Congress and Trump do anything about it.

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts
Ford says they will have a plug-in F150 in 2020. I assume GM will fight back with Chevy and GMC plug-ins pickups, but without the tax rebate. I predict GM will get whipped pretty badly in the electrified truck segment until Ford and RAM tax credits phase out.
Not sure you should make that underlined assumption. We all thought they'd make other vehicles like a CUV/SUV with the Voltec platform. They have great sales of their ICE CUV/SUVs so they don't feel the need as far as I can tell. They may take more wait-n-see tactics to see how Ford does.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Not sure you should make that underlined assumption. We all thought they'd make other vehicles like a CUV/SUV with the Voltec platform. They have great sales of their ICE CUV/SUVs so they don't feel the need as far as I can tell. They may take more wait-n-see tactics to see how Ford does.
While those vehicles sell well now in there current form, does not mean that the customer buying them would not like a more Fuel efficient version of them. Most Pickup and SUV owners I know, love the utility but hate pouring $50 and $100 bills into the gas tank.

A plug-in Pickup with 75 miles of EV range would cover most owners needs on daily basis and still have ICE to fall back on when they need to pull the boat or RV trailer to the lake on weekends.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Back to the original post? Does anybody have any more solid info about when GM will hit the 200k? If we only have effectively slightly less than 6 more months of getting the full $7500 ,that is the big news with the big impact on thousands of potential Volt/Bolt buyers right now!

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts
Back to the original post? Does anybody have any more solid info about when GM will hit the 200k? If we only have effectively slightly less than 6 more months of getting the full $7500 ,that is the big news with the big impact on thousands of potential Volt/Bolt buyers right now!
https://insideevs.com/top-6-automakers-200000-federal-tax-credit-limit/
Thru end of August they show:
General Motors (GM) – 189,758

Add in these Sept number from GM cars (plus 10-15 per month for CT6 PHEV)
Then pick numbers for the Volt - Oct,Nov,Dec (Prev quarter: 1475, 1825, 2129)
Then pick numbers for the Bolt - Oct,Nov,Dec (Prev quarter: 1175, 1225, 1549)
They would have to force sales down to avoid going over the 200K in Dec.
If they do that then they'll end up at 7 & 8 on the list below I think.

So even at these low low numbers for the last quarter they'd hit 200K

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
So even at these low low numbers for the last quarter they'd hit 200K

Double those numbers and when do they hit?

Apparently, they have more in current inventory than is required to trigger the phase out. I can't imagine they think most of inventory won't sell by December. My guess is, at this point, they just turn most of their deliveries toward the domestic market.

We will probably see 3,000+ sales per month for both the Volt and Bolt EV starting this month.

·
Registered
708 Posts
It is disappointing. Their unwillingness to expand the Voltec system beyond just a small car is why I now have a Model S instead of a plug in something or other from GM. But I'd still get rid of my Model S for the right plug-in Equinox.

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts
Double those numbers and when do they hit?

Apparently, they have more in current inventory than is required to trigger the phase out. I can't imagine they think most of inventory won't sell by December. My guess is, at this point, they just turn most of their deliveries toward the domestic market.
We will probably see 3,000+ sales per month for both the Volt and Bolt EV starting this month.
Here are some different variations. Also, its seems for IRS purposes that 'delivery' does not mean owner has the car but it is when the title is officially transferred (2-3 week delay?). That may give GM some breathing room in Dec if they were really intent on not hitting 200K until Jan.
See: https://insideevs.com/tesla-likely-passed-200k-deliveries/

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Here are some different variations. Also, its seems for IRS purposes that 'delivery' does not mean owner has the car but it is when the title is officially transferred (2-3 week delay?). That may give GM some breathing room in Dec if they were really intent on not hitting 200K until Jan.
See: https://insideevs.com/tesla-likely-passed-200k-deliveries/
That's true, though I've always found it odd how the consumer can file for the tax credit that year (even if it's December 30th... like me), but it doesn't get counted in some states until several weeks later.

Either way, this month will show what GM is up to. Current inventory for GM plug-in vehicles right now is close to 10,000. I have to imagine they are looking to move more than 3,000 units a month each of the Bolt EV and Volt. As Elon once famously noted, it makes sense to move about 25,000 to 30,000 units a year in ZEV states. The Volts barely count for much anymore, but the Bolt EV is still valuable. If they've only sold 12,000 Bolt EVs so far this year, GM might be looking to move at least that many more in the ZEV states alone before the end of the year.

·
Registered
120 Posts
That's true, though I've always found it odd how the consumer can file for the tax credit that year (even if it's December 30th... like me), but it doesn't get counted in some states until several weeks later.

Either way, this month will show what GM is up to. Current inventory for GM plug-in vehicles right now is close to 10,000. I have to imagine they are looking to move more than 3,000 units a month each of the Bolt EV and Volt. As Elon once famously noted, it makes sense to move about 25,000 to 30,000 units a year in ZEV states. The Volts barely count for much anymore, but the Bolt EV is still valuable. If they've only sold 12,000 Bolt EVs so far this year, GM might be looking to move at least that many more in the ZEV states alone before the end of the year.
Wait a second... So you're saying that If I purchased my Volt this year in May, I can file an amendment right now on my taxes and get the refund right now? I am confused on this.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Wait a second... So you're saying that If I purchased my Volt this year in May, I can file an amendment right now on my taxes and get the refund right now? I am confused on this.
NO!
You can reduce your withholding or estimated tax in anticipation of a 2018 1040 refund.

·
Registered
623 Posts
NO!
You can reduce your withholding or estimated tax in anticipation of a 2018 1040 refund.
Correct! I have a co-worker who took delivery of his model 3 in July. He is Salaried, so he adjusted his federal withholdings for the remainder of the year and is using the bonus monthly income to offset his car payment for the last half of the year.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts