GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just achieved 60.2 electric miles on one charge with my 2012 Volt, it went to ICE 0.2 miles from my garage, so my total trip was 60.4 miles. This was my target because I remember a 60+ post by a member several months ago. I have a pic, but not sure how to attache.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
That's great for a Gen 1. We'll also be seeing some awesome miles-attained by Gen 2 owners as summer nears. Tell all your friends and neighbors. I do this-so far without any sales-but hey, it takes time.......
p.s. I rode a Zero in the Alps 2 years ago. Thrilling ride, such fun on switchbacks, but noisy electronics and impractical range.
In time I will want one.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I did 68.X many times on my 2013, Temps must be above 70 most of the trip (car goes furthest around 90)

The 68.x is on a long trip I take twice a week and I can achieve roughly the same range either direction but normally do not because I am usually in too much of a hurry coming back to take the time it takes.
Tire pressure is always around 50 or higher.
Speeds electrically vary from 20mph to 50 mph, highway ends up on gas at 50-65mph
Average speed is 33mph (give or take 5mph) that includes the time it takes to complete many complete stops which lower this number to appear lower than it would be if I had less stops.

I never use HVAC if I can avoid it, my longest run had the HVAC running constant with the fan set to off and all the vents closed.

Cheers

·
Registered
678 Posts
Great to hear.

I think that's the highest I've heard with a gen 1.

I too would like to hear details on what drive modes ( L? ) you used, if the terrain was flat , what was the temp and if you coasted/hypermiled a bit or not. Was it on mixed highway and city, or just one?

It will be fun to hear as summer goes on, how many miles folks are getting with gen 2s.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Two years ago I managed 81.8 miles on one charge with no elevation change in my 2012 Volt. This was the ultimate in hypermiling.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
That's impressive. My "usual" routes consist of too many hills/lights/highways/traffic to ever hope for 60+ (let alone 80+!). I hit 52 or so last year and felt like that was good enough. Took some work--and luck--later at night when all the lights usually green. 40 mph roads--although I was likely doing 35 mph. I've noticed if I keep the kWh meter below 9 on acceleration/cruising, I usually do a lot better. Unfortunately, no one behind me would agree.

I'll probably rarely see even 45 with my new Driveguard tires!

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Keep in mind, my 81.8 miles was NOT realistic driving. I found a giant traffic circle, also known as FedEx field and drove an average speed of 23 mph. Only stopped once (curious police officer), and had my tires at 60 PSI. Also, I was on my original tires with 52,000 miles on them, so they were quite worn. This was more of a test on what is possible, not what is realistic. Temperatures were also quite warm. Varying from 89F down to 80F at the end of the "test". I could have gotten 83 miles or so, but I had to turn on my lights for the last 1/3 of the drive which had a significant impact on my efficiency.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hello This is the first time i have seen/read that 90 degrees is the best for driving EV miles. I get the best EV just before and after summer, SO, I guess it makes sense

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Best I have managed w/o any BS or driving ILLEAGALLY was 54 and some change. The weather and traffic were PERFECT even the stop lights were cooperating that drive. Plus I had just fully detailed it with a fresh coat of ZAINO which I'm sure helped cut through the air.

Unfortunately in todays world you can never count on that.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
just did 59.1 yesterday.traffic was bad and later on,I was on back roads.was really cool to do.
the day before,I finally took my car from 140mpg lifetime to :cool: 250,here I come

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
My top confirmed so far is 68.5 miles. That was with normal daily commute driving. Most of the time speed was 35-45 mph, with some miles at 50-55 mph (speed limits observed).

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
My top confirmed so far is 68.5 miles. That was with normal daily commute driving. Most of the time speed was 35-45 mph, with some miles at 50-55 mph (speed limits observed).
Looks like you have a twin car to me but my speeds were below 35 and 50-60

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the replies and comments. It was a round trip, the temp was between 70 and 80, the route was country and city, both flat and hills. Posted limits were 55 country to 25 city. I used as many back roads as possible were I could travel at 35 or less without impeding other drivers. I made stops in three cities. Total trip time was about 7 hours, no HVAC. I almost made it back to my garage, but had to increase my speed substantially in order to not impede a fast mover coming up on my 6, just before my turn off.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts