GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
60 mpg really isn't a stretch, based on my short experience with the Malibu Hybrid. I've gotten in the high 50's in some driving conditions. Putting the transmission in L2 mode allows regen to kick in when slowing down. Regen is key to achieving the best mileage and I keep my Hybrid in L2 all the time now. You can select L1 for more aggressive regen.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I have a 2015 Silverado Double Cab 4X4 V8 and if I putz along in the 30-45 mph speed range the gasometer reads mid 30's. I think a standard Malibu driven the same route, same style would get 40 ish mpg.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sure, any car can achieve high mileage for over a short distance. It's impressive that this owner was able to get 63 mpg over a 10 mile trip. That's probably twice the gas mileage a standard Malibu would get.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Here's what I got out of my 17 Malibu once.
Obviously the car was in EV mode for most of the 25 miles, no doubt when I was sitting in traffic.
I rented a Malibu with the 1.5 turbo and on some quiet road stretches I motored along at 45-50 mph and got high 40's on the gas-o-meter. I won't claim 50 but it was close.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Before we bought the Hybrid, I rented a 1.5 turbo model for a weekend.
I thought it impressive that a rental car had a lifetime average of 32.
That's pretty good economy out of a non-hybrid sedan the size of a Malibu, especially since this car was a transfer from the Chicago market, and was pretty beat up. I'm sure it wasn't babied, and was more likely to have been abused.

My wife and I both noted that our cars aren't that beat up after 10 years and 150,000 miles, and it wasn't the car at all, it was clearly the users. I could see a private owner having a considerably better lifetime average with normal driving.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like the 2016-17 Malibu Hybrid is already a dinosaur. The Accord Hybrid, and the upcoming 2018 Camry Hybrid will be the pants off of the Malibu hybrid in mpg's. Too bad the Malibu is a nice looking car. Looks like very, very, few have been sold. I see more Tesla's on the road than the Malibu Hybrid and I live in the land of SUV's and pickup trucks...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just saw this thread while looking up the CT6. I ended up buying a Malibu Hybrid in November. I can regularly get 60+ MPG on my way to work. I drive about 50/50 freeway and street.

On the way home, however, I'm lucky to get 40 MPG as there is so much time accelerating from a stop. While I do get to regen the battery coming to a stop, the car requires the ICE if I do any kind of normal acceleration.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts