GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a few weeks ago Tesla placed 6 charging stations right here in Seaside Oregon in the Mall right off Highway 101 in the city limits of Seaside Oregon. Hard to believe as I have not yet seen a Tesla charging there yet. Don't believe anyone in Seaside even owns a Tesla.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Just a few weeks ago Tesla placed 6 charging stations right here in Seaside Oregon in the Mall right off Highway 101 in the city limits of Seaside Oregon. Hard to believe as I have not yet seen a Tesla charging there yet. Don't believe anyone in Seaside even owns a Tesla.
They are not intended for locals to use. Actually, Tesla discourages locals from using them. The intent is for those passing through on longer trips.

My little town also has 6 SC, however the most I've ever seen in use was 2 Model S which appeared to be travelling together.

VIN # B0985

·
Super Moderator
6,221 Posts
AZ EV Driver is right that they are for long distance traveling. When I traveled from IL to MT a few weeks back I stopped at a Tesla supercharger in Murdo, SD a town of like 500 people!

I charge my Tesla in my garage along with my two Volts (wife '16 and son '11). (my other son charges his Volt in his garage or I charge my Tesla there when I visit)

“The Supercharger Network’s intent remains to expand and enhance your long distance travel while providing the flexibility for occasional needed use during local trips. Our goal is to provide the best charging experience, keeping charge times low to get you back on the road as quickly as possible. ..."

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
I'm sure Tesla is happier about the usage of those Seaside chargers than they are about the chargers here in Ventura, CA. It is rare to see a stall unoccupied, and I'm sure that most of the Teslas are owned by locals.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Believe me it is quite change to see all 6 of those Tesla charges in our mall parking lot that is half empty most of the time. Never seen a Tesla charging yet. Those chargers certainly stand out...

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Gotta give Tesla credit, they aren't sitting idly by and hope the private sector builds a charging network.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Gotta give Tesla credit, they aren't sitting idly by and hope the private sector builds a charging network.
Honestly what other options does Tesla have? If they want to be all things to all people, they have no other option than to build their own infrastructure. They have chosen to go their own way with the charger plug interface, so they are the only ones that have an interest in building a network to support their vehicles.

VIN # B0985

·
Super Moderator
6,221 Posts
Honestly what other options does Tesla have? If they want to be all things to all people, they have no other option than to build their own infrastructure. They have chosen to go their own way with the charger plug interface, so they are the only ones that have an interest in building a network to support their vehicles. VIN # B0985
Note that my J1772 L2 adapter to the Tesla plug is simply a pass through. When I first got my Tesla X, I charged it just like I charged my '11 Volt on a Blink L2 Charger.

In regards to their 'own way', my understanding is they were part of the SAE Combo CCS group/committee but it moved way too slow (been yrs and still no 100 kW stations yet for CCS) and wasn't being designed for high kW rates like they needed. They didn't have a choice for large kWh battery cars they were planning and wanting them to charge very 'fast'. Tesla started with 90 kW and already has 130 kW charging rates.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Note that my J1772 L2 adapter to the Tesla plug is simply a pass through. When I first got my Tesla X, I charged it just like I charged my '11 Volt on a Blink L2 Charger.

In regards to their 'own way', my understanding is they were part of the SAE Combo CCS group/committee but it moved way too slow (been yrs and still no 100 kW stations yet for CCS) and wasn't being designed for high kW rates like they needed. They didn't have a choice for large kWh battery cars they were planning and wanting them to charge very 'fast'. Tesla started with 90 kW and already has 130 kW charging rates.
Yes SAE committees can move very slowly. They are usually driven by the chairperson and are made up of individuals from the "normal" auto industry players (sometimes government reps are involved). Since Tesla only builds and sells BEVs they have a much higher need for the infrastructure. The rest of the committee members most likely have mixed product lines and BEVs are not currently their prime markets.

As I see it Tesla has 3 options:

1) go it alone and hope that others follow;
2) find a way to assume the chair position of the committee and hope that others don't foot drag too much;
3) convince the federal regulators to make their interface a national standard (many fed regs are based on SAE standards).

Some times SAE committees adopt a "compromise position" and make more than one configuration possible. Lots of politics to make this happen.

VIN # B0985

1 - 9 of 9 Posts