GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started a long list of things I'd like to see changed in my 2013 Volt. Now that I've had it for 6 months, only two bug me like crazy. Apologies if these are addressed elsewhere - A quick search didn't come up with much that applied to me:

1. Bluetooth automatic reconnect. I lived in Europe for 1 1/2 years and drove myriad new cars with bluetooth-enabled stereos. I do not recall one that didn't stay in bluetooth mode after shutting off the car and returning to it after a stop. Am I missing something? On my car the infotainment system returns to FM mode when I start it up.

2. Park assist. When I park in a garage or at work where I am either facing other cars or a curb with tall plants along it pulling in is not a problem as the park assist is disabled (I generally drive more than 5mph on my 40 mile trip to work). When I get into the car to leave and put into reverse, the park assist blares at me.
a. answer me this: If the system is smart enough to determine that I went fast than 5 mph, why can it not detect that THE WHEELS ARE STATIONARY and mute the alarm? And when I do begin to move - away from the front obstruction, can't it a take just a couple of milliseconds to figure out that the wheels are moving in reverse?
b. Also. On my car the front obstruction noise is much louder and shriller than the rear obstruction noise. I would expect the opposite.
c. I would really really like to disable the parking assist all together. Does anyone know if there is a convenient connector to disconnect? A fuse? My fallback will be to clip the wires on that stupid buzzer or fill it with hot glue.

Generally speaking this leads to a third complain. Either by default or by a master config setting, on starting the car up, I would like all controls to remain in the same setting they were in when I shut it off. This applies to the Park Assist, infotainment source, seat heater, infotainment volume, etc. This is annoying when running errands with many short stops. I like some of the automatic controls; but in general, I think the GM engineers got a little too cute with the automatic controls. The only one I kind of like is that it automatically lowers the fan setting when I get on a hands-free call. But I should be able to override ALL automatic controls, including that one.

Thanks,

Shep

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
And the point of this post is? I mean your driving a 2.5 year old car .. GM is at the 2016 Volt now :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And the point of this post is? I mean your driving a 2.5 year old car .. GM is at the 2016 Volt now :)
Henry, I just bought the car used. My points are:
1. Are there any solutions to these things for my car?
2. Have these things changed in 2016 Volts?
3. Why do these these things work like this anyway?

If you have any answers I'd appreciate them. You're pretty smart it seems, except in grammar. How old is your car?

Shep

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yep

I need to chime in agreement on the Bluetooth. I had a "clarion vx404" in my Kia and it would connect and play my audio book from my phone in about 1 minute. Now I need to listen to xm for a few minutes then switch to bluetooth. Why can it not just stay on BT and play my book?

·
Administrator
21,121 Posts
We don't know why the software was programmed this way versus another way. No one has a 2016, so we don't know how it works in comparison.

·
Registered
627 Posts
If the park assist was mute when the wheels were stopped then you would not know if you were too close until the wheels moved, it may be a little too late once you started moving. There is a volume control, also when you take it out of gear it stops. It never seemed to bother me but I have it at a level that is quite tolerable.

Yes plugging in my iPhone starts automatic play that really bothers me. Same for the CD player if you accidentally Brush against the eject button and want to push it back in, auto play for the cd. Not so bad to complain about though.

Look at the bright side, you paid less than 50% of what I paid for my 2013 and mine isn't any better.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Park assist volume can be adjusted in the menus,and the button on the ceiling will disable it completely

I think the issue with Bluetooth is that the radio has started before Bluetooth has reconnected, so it falls back to an available source. Don't think there's a fix for that, unfortunately.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just love that these relatively insignificant irritants seem to be the main "problems" with this exceptional car.

By this point of ownership of my 2013 GMC Yukon, I'd been into the dealer shop three times trying to get them to properly repair a leaking heater core...

This is as close to perfect a car as I've ever owned.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I just love that these relatively insignificant irritants seem to be the main "problems" with this exceptional car.
If you're just on the brink of managing a migraine and that beep goes off just as you set off for work, it seems far more than an insignificant irritant!

I am totally with the OP, but I suspect many others are too. It's just the way the car is. The frustration is not that the feature exists, but any half thinking programmer should have figured to programme the system such that if the button is pressed it should deactivate the system for 10 seconds, or until R is engaged again, before restarting. That way you could at least press the button then get out of the space without it going off. The way it is set up is that you HAVE to have the beep before you can silence it. Daft. It's even designed so that you cannot be poised ready to switch it off - the button is designed that any normal two-armed primate has to pull the shift lever then use the same arm to reach up and stop the button. You'd think at this point in automotive evolution these things would be understood.

I would happily pull the fuse for the system all together but it says that fuse is on the same circuit as 'voltage regulation' so that looks like a no-go!!

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Park assist volume can be adjusted in the menus,and the button on the ceiling will disable it completely

I think the issue with Bluetooth is that the radio has started before Bluetooth has reconnected, so it falls back to an available source. Don't think there's a fix for that, unfortunately.
We don't use the radio. We usually play through the Aux port. If there's a cable in the Aux port you can put it on Aux and that's silent. If after using Bluetooth (which I've only done a few times) it goes back to what you had before, then you can put it on Aux, then activate Bluetooth, and then at start-up it'd be on Aux until it detects your phone.

So, cable in the Aux port, even if you don't use it, could be a workaround.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Also, you can override the fan speed when making/receiving calls with one push of the fan "higher" button.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts

By this point of ownership of my 2013 GMC Yukon, I'd been into the dealer shop three times trying to get them to properly repair a leaking heater core...

This is as close to perfect a car as I've ever owned.
Personally we've have other worse problem the Volt, but the thing about the many "minor" irritations with the Volt is that they're stuff you have to deal with on a day-to-day basis that you only have to deal with because GM didn't put proper thought into it, and they sour the ownership experience enough that you're going to mention them when talking about your car, and you're going to look for them when buying your next car.

On Infotainment, I consider the following to be obvious:
- the infotainment system should have "Source - None" setting: the system has to be on to have cell available, but you don't necessarily want to listen to anything else. Having to plug in an Aux cable, mute or turn the volume down is not a solution.
- BlueTooth should be available as an option even if there are no devices connected: by their very nature BlueTooth devices take longer to connect than it takes to turn the system on, and may disconnect temporarily, so you do not want the system to switch away from Bluetooth automatically. If your regular Bluetooth device is not picked up, it does not mean that you want to switch to a different source.
- You should be able to remove sources from the list. For example: I did not want XM, I do not want XM, I shall never want XM but it will forever be displayed as an option in the sources list.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Personally we've have other worse problem the Volt, but the thing about the many "minor" irritations with the Volt is that they're stuff you have to deal with on a day-to-day basis that you only have to deal with because GM didn't put proper thought into it, and they sour the ownership experience enough that you're going to mention them when talking about your car, and you're going to look for them when buying your next car.
Yes, but it seems to be mostly wanting things to be laid out a bit differently, like software things that most people find perfectly ok, but that drive others crazy. I totally agree with you about the XM and how nice it would be to get rid of that icon from the home screen. They're trying to sell us stuff, and this is common practice in the industry, whether via computer on desktop or smartphone. Because it is common practice, I grind my teeth in relative silence. I'd like to get that Apple Watch icon off my 5c, that appeared last month. I delete it, and it promptly comes right back, all but guaranteeing I will never, ever buy an Apple Watch.

·
Registered
201 Posts
....I am totally with the OP, but I suspect many others are too....
Me too!

....The way it is set up is that you HAVE to have the beep before you can silence it. Daft. It's even designed so that you cannot be poised ready to switch it off - the button is designed that any normal two-armed primate has to pull the shift lever then use the same arm to reach up and stop the button...
Yup. I'm still scratching my head over why the forward proximity alert is programmed to sound while you're moving backwards in reverse, though I've gotten skilled at leaving my right hand on the shifter while punching the on/off button with my left index finger.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Yup. I'm still scratching my head over why the forward proximity alert is programmed to sound while you're moving backwards in reverse...
If you are in a tight garage and doing turns to get out of it (and no backup camera) I think it is nice to be advised that your front of the car is going to kiss the wall. I don't have the forward proximity alert because I have only the S1 on my Volt 2014, but I had it on my ex-Ford Focus 2012 and I found it useful.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I am surprised and disappointed about the bluetooth. In my wife's Prius when the infotainment system is put into BT mode it stays there. Even if it is not able to connect to a device it will stay in BT mode.

The Volt is replacing the Prius.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the responses.

I maintain that the volume control on the park assist is useless - is it has two quanta only: 'Skull-piercing' and 'Horribly loud'. Mine is on low, and the front alert volume is still migraine-inducingly loud and the only hope for it for me is a squirt of hot glue in the buzzer.

As some others have mentioned, there is no reason for the bluetooth thing - other infotainment systems manage it, and I don't mind listing to silence while waiting for the connection.

I think what I wish is just that they wouldn't be so cute with automatically resetting controls, etc. on this car. each of the issues mentioned was specifically designed to be the way it is, and could have been implemented differently.

- There is an ability to set the default volume for the radio when the car comes on, but they limit the maximum value. I'm slightly hard of hearing and for books I always have to turn it up 4-5 clicks. But I can't set that as the default.
- There is a volume control for the park assist but it won't go nearly low enough. I drove several VW's, Audi's, and BMW rental cars with parking assist and ALL of them had volume controls that went to ZERO volume. Also they would mute the radio when the park assist triggered so that the tone would be heard no matter how low the volume was set.
- Many of the climate settings are like this. If I stop the car for 5 minutes for a quick errand, I want EVERY setting in the car to be exactly as I left it. Having to reset even a single feature every single time I get into the car is, as someone mentioned, a repetitive reminder of the not-too-great user experience that some knucklehead went out of their way to design it this way.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts