GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve now had my Gen 2 Volt for 6 months and have put 10,738 (9,306 Electric) miles on it. I figure this would be a good point to do a quick review of my experience so far.

I previously owned a 2012 Volt. Bought the first one to hit the ground in Central IL. I put around 67K on it before passing it on to it’s next home. I also leased a 2013 Leaf and put 30K on it during my 2 year lease. I feel like I qualify as an early adopter/veteran for the EV movement lol.

I’m not a patient person and so I couldn’t wait until the Gen 2 decided to show up in IL. I made some contacts, set up a deal, and off to Virginia I went. Jeff H was a big help in figuring out what dealers to contact out east. As with the 2012, I basically purchased it sight-unseen. I arrived at the dealer, sat in it, signed the paper work and drove off. No test drive as the traffic was horrible.

Fast forward 6 months and 10,000 miles later, was it a good idea buying a car based soley off the experience with the previous Volt??? Absolutely. This car is amazing. I had a base model 2012, and my new Volt is a Premier with most of the options.

Range: I have a daily commute of 52 miles. I usually go places at night. I was at 107 mpg lifetime on my 2012. That included a few trips on gas but not many. The extra range of the Gen 2 is exactly what I needed. I am currently at 266 mpg and that includes 1,000 miles on gas to start it’s life. I am able to do most of my driving on battery now due to that extra range. Getting 65-70 miles on a charge doesn’t take much effort. Typical Volt. I am really impressed with the ICE mpg as well. I was a little worried as my first 1k miles yielded 6-8 mpg less than EPA. It has continued to get better and I recently got 42-43 on a 300 miles trip. I normally couldn’t exceed 35 mpg in my Gen 1 and of course that was using the premium fuel.

Interior: Love the upgraded materials. The heated steering wheel is a life saver for the cold states. Heated rear seats are much appreciated by the kids. Heater still sucks too much power. Everyone comments on the interior styling and comfort. The blue stitching is a nice touch. It really does have a premium look and feel. The only negatives are getting in and out of the car. I’m only 5’8 and I will occasionally hit my head. Taller folks really have to duck to get in.

Exterior: The added body lines on the side and top of the car are great. It really is a good looking car. Not a huge fan of the chrome trim around the windows. Overall I think it is tasteful and not overdone. I don’t scrape nearly as much as I did with my other Volt. The rear of the car still sucks up dirt like there is no tomorrow. Price of driving a aerodynamic car. Michelin tires are definitely an upgrade.

Safety Packages: This is the one thing I was going to skip when buying a Volt. I ended up getting both safety packages. I am really glad I did. The lane departure is great. It grabs your attention when you drift and basically tells me I’m a bad driver. The blind spot feature works great. The rear cross traffic when backing up is a really nice feature. It is very useful in busy parking lots. It will pick up traffic sometimes that is on a road behind the parking lot. The automatic bright headlight feature works good but isn't great to use on curvy roads. Front parking sensors are super sensitive and require cleaning often. The front collision detect is a great feature and I’ve had it apply the brakes once. Works really well. I haven't used the parking feature. I live in a rural area so no real good application for it yet.

I’ve had a few issues so far that are still being addressed. My center display will just go black and won’t come back on. They have reprogrammed it, replaced the module, and now are replacing the whole display. Hopefully that will fix it. I’ve also had a few random CEL’s. The first one occurred after getting my windows tinted. The second one popped up yesterday. They cleared the codes and are waiting to see if they pop up again. This is why we have warranty so hopefully they can work out the bugs.

I really could never imagine loving a car more than my 2012. I didn’t really believe the new Volt could be that much better. It has made a believer out of me. I’ve had people wait in parking lots for me to come out so they could ask me about it. I absolutely love driving it. Anybody on the fence needs to come on down and go pick one up. I just can't see a way somebody wouldn't love this car.
Day 180ish
image_1464320815720.jpg

Day 1
image_1449948962834.jpg

·
Registered
384 Posts
I agree mostly.

IMO the ugliest feature is by far the front grille.
The winter and highway range are not as high as I expected (my first EV)
The dead pedal is WAY too high
The park assist I never use. Tried it twice and didn't work as I wanted.
The winter, very slippery driving is not very good (too much engine braking and weight distribution I guess).
I've had two CEL, both times they went off by themselves and never came back.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I love the new blue (would be my choice). Analyzing my normal driving routine since buying my first Volt back in March 12 and driving both to over 46K miles as a DD in ALL weather the added range of the Gen II would probably increase my average AER from 92.7% to 95 maybe 96%. Just a few ticks from being a pure BEV.

The only thing I wish they had done to the gen II was to make it a pure hatchback. As a dog owner that feature is important hence my desire to buy a CPO Tesla. And hopefully we'll start seeing CPO 60's in the $40K range now that Tesla added a lower priced model.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thanks for your 10k review. Very positive despite the center display glitch and a couple of CELs. Getting 65-70 miles on a charge is great to hear. Thanks again!

·
Registered
675 Posts
nice review. Thanks for posting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts