GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be getting a 2013 Chevrolet Volt this Friday. The Garage has a unused 6-50 welder outlet.
Can I just buy something like ClipperCreek LCS-20P and use an adapter?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Absolutely!

I've created adapters to connect the Gen2 EVSE to about any 240v outlet that I find. The parts are on hand at any Home Depot.

Here's the guide to create it:

·
Registered
5,410 Posts

·
Administrator
21,023 Posts
The three prong plug outlet must have 120V Hot, 120V Hot and a ground. So, no neutral as Upper says. And the breaker must be sized correctly for the EVSE.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I saw that model. Seems to be a bit of overkill for the volt. But maybe good for future proofing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Ah good price too. Was looking at a more expensive model. So will likely order the one in the provided link when some more cash is on hand.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
If you want a much cheaper level 1/2 option you can order a Duosida. There is a separate thread on it with Info. A number of folks have used them successfully. Charges at around 15 amps at maximum rate Volt can accept — empty to full in a little more than 4 hours. I use it on a 240 14-50 outlet. Can be ordered with different plug ends and cord lengths. Costs about $155 shipped for 25 foot model if ordered from the factory. But it sounds like with your commute level 1 is all you really need for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
The three prong plug outlet must have 120V Hot, 120V Hot and a ground. So, no neutral as Upper says. And the breaker must be sized correctly for the EVSE.
No, the breaker is sized for the wires in the wall.
Any appliance can easily go up in smoke at ? 2 ? Amps.

When a home, car, airplane is built the circuit breakers are there to protect the 'wire in the wall', NOT the 'appliance'.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
The breaker at the service panel or sub panel should be sized for the wiring and outlet, i.e. if the circuit is configured with a 6-50 or 14-50 outlet then a 50 amp breaker is the correct size breaker. Unless the plug has been modified in a way not intended by the manufacturer any equipment can be plugged into the outlet and it will be a safe load for the circuit. If the equipment is rated less than the maximum load for the circuit, i.e. a 20 amp rated EVSE such as a LCS-20P (can supply a maximum of 16 amps to the vehicle's on-board charger) on a 50 amp circuit, that equipment is safe for the circuit.

If the equipment is hard wired into the circuit then the breaker at the service panel should be sized for the equipment. In the example of the LCS-20 EVSE, if the LCS-20 is hard wired into the circuit (not configured with a plug), the breaker installed at the panel should be 20 amps. For a hard wired EVSE installation, if the wiring is sufficient to carry 50 amps, you could later upgrade the EVSE to an EVSE that is rated for a maximum load of 40 amps (40 amps is 80% of the 50 amp maximum rating for the circuit) . You would need to change the breaker to a 40 amp breaker when you change out the EVSE.

·
Administrator
21,023 Posts

When a home, car, airplane is built the circuit breakers are there to protect the 'wire in the wall', NOT the 'appliance'.
Then nothing protects the EVSE from going up in smoke.

On a dedicated line, I'll size the breaker to the EVSE even if the wire gauge could handle a LOT more. Change the outlet to conform to the breaker size if needed, but on a dedicated circuit, I'm matching the EVSE requirements as long as the wire is adequate to the load.

Now the reverse would not be true. I would never use a breaker and EVSE on wire undersized for the load. That would be trouble.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts

^^^This^^^ Except, unless you have firsthand knowledge, it is best to check the gauge of the wire and the size of the breaker.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
The breaker at the service panel or sub panel should be sized for the wiring and outlet, i.e. if the circuit is configured with a 6-50 or 14-50 outlet then a 50 amp breaker is the correct size breaker. Unless the plug has been modified in a way not intended by the manufacturer any equipment can be plugged into the outlet and it will be a safe load for the circuit. If the equipment is rated less than the maximum load for the circuit, i.e. a 20 amp rated EVSE such as a LCS-20P (can supply a maximum of 16 amps to the vehicle's on-board charger) on a 50 amp circuit, that equipment is safe for the circuit.

If the equipment is hard wired into the circuit then the breaker at the service panel should be sized for the equipment. In the example of the LCS-20 EVSE, if the LCS-20 is hard wired into the circuit (not configured with a plug), the breaker installed at the panel should be 20 amps. For a hard wired EVSE installation, if the wiring is sufficient to carry 50 amps, you could later upgrade the EVSE to an EVSE that is rated for a maximum load of 40 amps (40 amps is 80% of the 50 amp maximum rating for the circuit) . You would need to change the breaker to a 40 amp breaker when you change out the EVSE.
Yes. This is a National Electric Code requirement.

·
Administrator
21,023 Posts
I think we are all saying something similar.

On a dedicated line (the EVSE is the only item being fed), and the EVSE specs say, a 30A breaker, and the line gauge supports 30 amps (or higher) and the receptacle is sized for 30 amps, you put in a 30A breaker. You don't use 50A breaker just because the wire can support 50A.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts