GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its silly to hiper-mile in a Volt, but I did. Got a range of 56 miles (considering I had 19 miles left and had traveled 37)

But while doing this, I tried putting the Volt in Nuetral while coasting down hills, and didn't seem to get any better range. I'd almost suspect that the batteries want a little regen to go the distance.

Anyone ever find stats for amount of amps regened in "D" vs regen in "L"? I had one of those gas guzzling Prius's and threw an amp guage on it, it was quite an eye opener! Brake pedal input really affected regen amount, up to about 100 amps.

Someday, when I get it in my head that the Volt is an old car I can "play" with, I'd like to throw a guage on it to see the amount of regen produced.

Also, I've been told when stepping on the brakes, it regens more as a function of brake pedal distance, like the Prius does. I really don't believe this. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
738 Posts
Driving and slowing down in "D" with light brake pedal pressure is the same as driving in "L" and taking your foot off the gas. The brakes in D first do the regen (like in L) and then any additional stopping power is with friction. It is said that about 70% of the energy is recovered in the regen mode. There are threads on this forum talking about regen.

I have on several occasions come home after driving, using L and regen and found the brakes rotors to be cool to the touch. I would not try doing that for a conventional car. As long as you plan ahead on your approaches to turns etc it is amazing how little of the brakes you use on the VOLT. Since energy is a squared function of speed I figure that I typically use the friction brakes at a point of about half the speed of a conventional car, therefore I am only the VOLT a 1/4 of the brakes compared to a conventional car and they should last a long, long time.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Driving and slowing down in "D" with light brake pedal pressure is the same as driving in "L" and taking your foot off the gas. The brakes in D first do the regen (like in L) and then any additional stopping power is with friction. It is said that about 70% of the energy is recovered in the regen mode. There are threads on this forum talking about regen.

I have on several occasions come home after driving, using L and regen and found the brakes rotors to be cool to the touch. I would not try doing that for a conventional car. As long as you plan ahead on your approaches to turns etc it is amazing how little of the brakes you use on the VOLT. Since energy is a squared function of speed I figure that I typically use the friction brakes at a point of about half the speed of a conventional car, therefore I am only the VOLT a 1/4 of the brakes compared to a conventional car and they should last a long, long time.
So instead of using "L", we could just figure out the max brake pedal pressure you can apply before the friction starts? That's why I'd like to have a regen guage. Any reference for this regen during "D" driving? Other than the normal non-braking regen you get in "D"?

·
Registered
738 Posts
If you want an absolute point you need to have one of the data devices (DashDAC) that some have here. However, the green leaf ball (Drivers Efficiency Gauge) on the driver display does tell you as long as you have leafs showing and it does not go yellow that you are in a regen mode. So the leaf ball is an indicator just not providing an absolute value.

1,214 Posts
Zen And The Art Of Volt Deceleration Battery Regeneration-

If you want an absolute point you need to have one of the data devices (DashDAC) that some have here. However, the green leaf ball (Drivers Efficiency Gauge) on the driver display does tell you as long as you have leafs showing and it does not go yellow that you are in a regen mode. So the leaf ball is an indicator just not providing an absolute value.

Sorry Bout the JPEG format- But, silly pocket guide! lol

https://p.twimg.com/AthxKIvCEAAN6kz.jpg:large

And this from 6 weeks ago..............

https://p.twimg.com/AvpDE4uCIAE7CYt.jpg:large

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Have to disagree with you here. The green ball moves even if the car does not. My Volt had died, would turn on, but not move. When you stepped on the accelerator, the ball would move, but the car would just sit there. The green ball is based on pedal position, speed and mode, not actual efficiency.

Also, as soon as you step on the brake pedal, the ball starts going out of the green area. I would guess that means no regen using the brake pedal.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
56 Miles??? Well here you go.....

I did this back in April.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
56 Miles??? Well here you go.....

I did this back in April.

EDITED... Nevermind, I thought that was range! Yikes! They never go over 50...

Glad you showed the KW used. I've seen people claiming to get 60+ miles on a charge, but I bet they were plugging in for a short time between driving.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
EDITED... Nevermind, I thought that was range! Yikes! They never go over 50...

Glad you showed the KW used. I've seen people claiming to get 60+ miles on a charge, but I bet they were plugging in for a short time between driving.
I was driving 35 - 40 for the entire drive. As you can see from the temperature it was in the mid 50's. I could probably hit 60 miles with the warmer temperatures now. Terrain was mostly flat, some hills in my neighborhood, but had to taken them both ways, so that evens out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts