GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our best battery range mileage to date. I know some have achieved more, but this is from a real, "normal" drive with a mix of half city street and half highway driving. It's our daily commute in fact.

I think cooler early morning and evening driving temps help. The Volt battery is kept at a 72 degree temperature (or there about) by the BMS. So, with cooler temps, my guess is less juice is being used for managing the battery temp and is therefore available for longer range.

DSC06565.jpg

·
Registered
109 Posts
54.2 is not shabby at all. I've ended up ~50 fairly often lately too, a few times it looked like I would come close to 55, but somehow some mix of slo-mo city/highway traffic congestion and climate always ends up killing it in the end for me. Best I've gotten so far to date was 52.

·
Registered
71 Posts
How are you guys getting so much all electric range? My commute is half city half freeway and even if I hypermile I get between 38-40 miles max off a full charge. Even on days in the low 70s still no change.

·
Administrator
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How are you guys getting so much all electric range? My commute is half city half freeway and even if I hypermile I get between 38-40 miles max off a full charge. Even on days in the low 70s still no change.
Well, one trick we use is to kick in Mountain Mode during the return leg. The trip to work is city-highway-city (all on battery). But for the return city-highway-city trip, we use Mountain Mode on the highway leg (to reserve battery for the last city leg), and then return to battery when we are about 14 miles from home. This is tricky to get the timing right. Practice helps.

This way the ICE is used where it is most efficient (highway) instead of using up the battery on the return highway and then having the ICE kick on during the last 14 miles of city traffic where it is not as efficient as a battery. A light foot (no jack rabbit starts or stops), cruise control, staying at the minimum speed limit (55 mph) and using D & L in city stop and go driving all help. Tires inflated to 40 psi doesn't hurt either.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I get nearly 50 mile/charge range because my commute involves no freeway use, speed limit <45mph throughout.

to the OP, not sure 134mpg is all that unique, not bad considering the commute though. My electric use is about 98-99%, would have 250+ lifetime mpg if the dealer didn't drive 500 miles to deliver it to me.
Looks like you matched your July range. http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?14963-54.2-Miles-on-Battery-131-MPG-Lifetime

·
Administrator
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes, my daily commute is about 60 miles, always beyond battery range. Yet we are still able to drive 80% electric for many months. No charging opportunity at work where the car sits 8 to 10 hours a day. Otherwise we would hardly ever need gas.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Well, one trick we use is to kick in Mountain Mode during the return leg. The trip to work is city-highway-city (all on battery). But for the return city-highway-city trip, we use Mountain Mode on the highway leg (to reserve battery for the last city leg), and then return to battery when we are about 14 miles from home. This is tricky to get the timing right. Practice helps.
Same here except my trip in is all city (40mph and less) and trip home is 90% highway. I routinely get between 45 - 50 miles out of the battery and my round trip is 65 miles.

·
Registered
289 Posts
First, great job, Steve. Getting above 50 with some highway driving is awesome.

@rcm4453: Driving above 55 MPH really takes a considerable amount of energy. If you have a couple free hours, try taking a drive in the country where your speeds are between 30 and 50. You will see a hugh milage increase. Fewer stops and lower speeds will help. Air resistance goes up with the square of velocity.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts