GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
20,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My effective fill time is 5 seconds. That's way faster and much more convenient than standing in the rain or sleet or snow or cold at a smelly gas station.

That 5 seconds is about how long it takes me to plug in my the Volt. Since the car sits most of time (I don't drive 24 hrs. a day), that's the only metric that counts for me. I know many want to focus on the length of time it takes once plugged in, but unlike a gas fill, I don't need to stand there holding the handle. Indeed, I don't have to be there at all once I'm plugged in. So my effective fill time is 5 seconds.

Picture standing at a gas pump with an ICE car, swiping a credit card, entering your zip code, selecting the nozzle, standing there filling up the tank for minutes as the $$ click by, then the whole receipt and car wash process at the end. Now picture me plugging in my Volt and walking away. That 5 second fill is the Volt reality and I love it.

SnowyPump.jpg

·
Registered
218 Posts
I agree plugging in is way easier than filling up at the gas station. Never mind seeing the signs that say: Fumes have been known to cause cancer in lab rats.

·
Administrator
20,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you noticed that video monitors have started to be installed on the gas pumps? Add force fed advertising to the things I don't like about filling up at a gas station. When they have enough time to force feed you with advertising, you know you are standing in one spot too long. :)

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Awww, come on now, don't exaggerate. It takes more like 10 seconds.. 5 to get ESVE and plug in, and 5 to unplug and hang up the charger!

Nice observation... and good way to explain it to people. When people ask me about charging time, I usually say that I like to eat dinner and sleep at home, and that's when the car is charging at home.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My fill time is about 2 seconds (if I remember to push the fill opener). My SPX express is wall mounted at the front left of car with the charge line running up the wall and across the ceiling and hangs at the exact parking location to plug in. The plug is about two feet off the ground. No retrieving or replacing line.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
My fill time is about 2 seconds (if I remember to push the fill opener). My SPX express is wall mounted at the front left of car with the charge line running up the wall and across the ceiling and hangs at the exact parking location to plug in. The plug is about two feet off the ground. No retrieving or replacing line.
My charger also hangs, but I have to walk over to turn the ESVE on/off.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Awww, come on now, everyone! Lets not play games. The time taken argument only applies to charging on the go and only applies to a Quick Charge situation. As we all know, there is no QC option in the Volt. The Leaf offers it as an option and it takes 30 minutes. The infrastructure is not yet there and 30 minutes is too long to stop to refill.

Nice try, though :)

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Awww, come on now, everyone! Lets not play games. The time taken argument only applies to charging on the go and only applies to a Quick Charge situation. As we all know, there is no QC option in the Volt. The Leaf offers it as an option and it takes 30 minutes. The infrastructure is not yet there and 30 minutes is too long to stop to refill.

True.. should be phrase as I only spend 10 seconds a day to get my Volt charged!

·
8,680 Posts

I think it's a valid point. Before I bought the Volt, it was part of my routine - every week or so, I'd have to stop by a gas station and spend ten minutes outside in whatever weather there was sniffing the fumes while refueling the car. After buying the Volt, it's this 5 second exercise mentioned above, except for road trips. This is definitely an improvement in my way of life, and the time the car spends charging, while substantial, is of limited relevance in practice since I need to recharge for 8 hours a night for best performance as well. :)

·
Administrator
20,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why be shackled to the gas pump paradigm when thinking of refueling time? The Volt is a game changer, and as such my *personal* time is 5 seconds (my charger is 4 feet directly to the side of the charge port).

When people think of refueling time, they think of standing at a gas pump for 5-10 minutes. My standing time is 5 seconds. The rest is irrelevant to me as my car is sitting there either way, whether charging or not. So my refueling experience is 5 seconds.

Now obviously that's not the same as the time it takes the battery to charge, but that's practically meaningless to me unless I am driving cross country. If, in addition to the 5 seconds it takes me to perform my Voltec fueling process, the car recharged the battery in 5 another seconds (total 10 seconds), it would make little practical difference to my routine because most days the car would still be sitting there for the next 8 hours anyway.

So for all intents and purposes, refueling is a 5 second process for me.

This is similar to the way MPG can be measured. If I travel 60 miles with 50 on electricity, and 10 using using .26 gals of gas, then I say I am getting 60 miles on .26 gals of gas. I know others will argue I'm getting only 38 MPG. But in terms of total gas used over the total distance, I say I'm getting 230MPG.

I'm taking the same approach to the time it takes me to hook up the Voltec. That's the sum total time I spent on the process and it's way faster and better compared to filling up with gas.

The Volt provides a great driving experience as well as an improved refueling experience.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I never could stand gas staions, so dirty, and so public. When I can fill up a 30kw pack I will be REALLY happy because I would never run out of juice during the day.

My volt is a lot like my android right now, always in need of juice.... :) I drive from 30-80 miles a day.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Steverino,

Although it STILL does not equal standing at the pump, don't forget that, if you filled up with gas once per week, that you are plugging in the Volt seven times for the equivalent fillup. Still only 35 seconds, but at least a fairer comparison.

·
Administrator
20,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Steverino,

Although it STILL does not equal standing at the pump, don't forget that, if you filled up with gas once per week, that you are plugging in the Volt seven times for the equivalent fillup. Still only 35 seconds, but at least a fairer comparison.
My wife pointed this out too, ronhip. And you are both correct (my wife especially so!). To be fair, I'd need to say 10 seconds/day x 30 days = 5 minutes/month. Even if it were double that, nothing beats the ease and convenience of having my own filling station in my garage, haha.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
In my garage is the level 2 charger, as discussed by others here, that takes a few seconds of my time to hook up.
In my garage is my small pancake air compressor, with the tire filling attachment normally affixed, and a hose long enough to reach any of the 8 tires of the two vehicles that would be in there. The few gallon tank of the air compressor is enough to ensure that all eight tires are topped off in just a few minutes.
Shortly, I will figure out the best squeegee/solvent solution to keep in my garage, to remove the only reason left to visit one of those smelly [Cold/Blustery/Rainy/Snowy/Sweltering] outdoor filling stations on a regular basis.
When I left in mid January last year to do my last seasonal transit from NY to FL, the car thermometer read -10F while filling up. Anyone who PREFERS to NOT take care of the car needs in their own garage is completely nuts!

And as I have pointed out before, I installed artificial turf and got rid of all gasoline powered tools that it necessitated. Power washer-electric. Chain saw-electric. Chipper/shredder-electric. Leaf blower/mulcher-electric. My garage is a very pleasant place to take care of my electric vehicle's needs.

·
Administrator
20,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have equipped my garage with a car wash bay (a garden hose and soap bucket!!). Luckily, my garage has heat and a floor drain so I have been washing the Volt inside for a few months now.

My restroom is infinitely better and I don't use light bulbs to cook my hot dogs. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts