GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

A look at five basic pieces of shop equipment to help breeze through at-home car repair

Whether you’re new to the world of at-home car repair, or you’re a DIY veteran looking to expand your home repair capabilities, adding a few affordable and effective products to your car repair toolkit can help make a wide range of tasks easier and faster.

Is car repair your hobby? Passion? A way to save a few bucks? In any case, you’ll find no shortage of options to add convenience and efficiency to the mix when it’s time to wrench on your ride.
Read more about the 5 Pieces of Shop Equipment to Simplify At-Home Car Repair

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
The Rhino Ramps are great, but I am not sure they work with the low nose of the Volt. I think you have to use jack stands instead.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
With my 2009 Chevy Equinox and its tall ride height, I can work underneath with no ramps or jacks. I change the oil with just one hand tool.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The Rhino Ramps work ok on the front of my G1. the Air dam also scrapes a bit when I back onto the rear but I can avoid it with my driveway slop at the curb.

I keep imagining what would it look like if one or both of the ramps have a catastrophic failure. Hopefully I never see the reality.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have a set of rhino ramps, and they work quite well if you have a normal floor. After renovating my garage and putting down an sexy smooth epoxy coat, it's next to impossible to get them to stay still as you drive up them. The floor does have traction additive (shark grip) but still doesn't play nice with the ramps.

I've had them for years they are awesome, I modified mine by setting up a removable 2x6 "pre ramp" setup so I could get my 08 Z06 up and down it without issue (it's way lower than the volt)

Luckily - with my Gen2 volt, I'm almost at 19k on the clock and still have 45% oil life, first one I get free from the dealer, the way this thing (doesnt) use oil/gasoline means I might actually never need to change the oil myself before I sell the vehicle. Which is weird because I'm a huge car/DIY type.

I would add to the list a number 6: a Torin TR6350 Red Deluxe Pneumatic Shop Seat, it's like $40 on amazon. Makes detailing side panels or wheels so damn easy, being able to scoot around easily. I've been using it in the house too when I had to do lots of work stripping baseboards and tackboards after I removed the carpet in the house.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts