GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Yesterday when driving home from work, my Volt chirped 5 times. 5 little dings in a row. It happened 3 times, twice on the highway, once on city streets.

The dings sounded like a door open alert. I have no idea what it was trying to tell me.

I've only had the Volt for a week now so I'm still learning about the car, but this one was weird. I thought it might have something to do with traffic alerts up ahead with the navigation, but I couldn't find anything in the nav screen to indicate a chirping alert system.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I'm not entirely sure. Did you happen to have a heavy bag in a seat? If there is a heavy enough object in any of the seats, you will get dings for the seat belt not being buckled.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope. Passenger seat was empty. And, no warning message came on either.

·
Registered
513 Posts
We get that when we set a package on the rear seat. Look at the top center of your driver's display to see if those 2 little symbols for the rear seat passenger belts are lit.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Could be the charge door opened while driving. It has happened to me a few times when I was not very careful closing the door firmly.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Hi everyone,

Yesterday when driving home from work, my Volt chirped 5 times. 5 little dings in a row. It happened 3 times, twice on the highway, once on city streets... ...Any ideas?
Since it happened while driving, to be on the safe side, suggest pressing the OnStar button and asking if any codes are reported. If yes, ask for the details and then follow up with your dealer's service department.

KNS

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Since it happened while driving, to be on the safe side, suggest pressing the OnStar button and asking if any codes are reported. If yes, ask for the details and then follow up with your dealer's service department.

KNS
If it is the same type of noise as the seat belt warning, I don't think it's anything the service dept needs to get involved in...
If could be the lane departure or collision alert (I don't have a 2013, so I don't know what they use for alert noise).
Charge door or fuel door? you would have had a message on the dash for those.
Passenger seatbelt, this message only shows on the overhead console, not the dash. Took me a week to realize that... The rear seats show up as little gray or green icons on the dash, but I've never heard a chime for that.
Tire pressure low? again I think you'd have a message on the dash.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Nope. Passenger seat was empty. And, no warning message came on either.
Completely empty, or nothing of much weight?

A 2 pound netbook always triggers that sound for me (I have it in the passenger's seat for most of my trips to record the Volt's OBD2 data). Others have reported a cell phone on the passenger's seat would do the same thing.

·
Administrator
20,776 Posts
The seat belt system does produce a chime when it thinks someone is seated and not buckled in. Objects on the passenger or rear seats can be interpreted as a person sitting unbuckled.

"The front passenger safety belt
reminder light and chime may turn
on if an object is put on the seat
such as a briefcase, handbag,
grocery bag, laptop, or other
electronic device."

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Lane Departure Warning?

I just picked up my Volt today. I think I made it an hour before I turned off Lane Departure Warning...

Steering wheel, left side, little orange light.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I had this 5 beep thing happen to me today and I was totally perplexed until I found this thread. It was the passenger seatbelt warning.

I had a baking sheet on the passenger seat that couldn't have weighed more than 2 lbs, but it was still enough to trigger the sensor. :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts