GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every night, in the middle of the night, my Volt gives out 5 consecutive beeps (like when you have left your keys inside). I bolt out of bed because I think someone is messing with it (we have a lot of attempted and successful vehicle break-ins in my neighborhood). I thought maybe it was a full charge indication, but it does it even if it is not plugged in. Anyone have any idea why and how to make it stop?

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I can make two suggestions:

1. Set the car to instant charge mode. Turn off delayed charging. See if that makes a difference.

2. Call OnStar and explain the issue. I am willing to bet that it's something to do with your OnStar account. If you can get a senior engineer to reset the OnStar system I bet the issue goes away.

·
8,680 Posts
At the risk of asking a dumb question, are you sure there isn't a key left inside?

If its not that, I don't have any bright ideas.

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
The User Manual says four chirps = "Insufficient time to fully charge by departure time", with Solid Green or Long Flashing Green status lights. Repeated horn chirping = "Electricity was interrupted before charging was complete." with no status lights.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I think Steverino is on the right track, verify lights on your dash the next time this happens...sounds like a charge interruption.

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
Except he said it honks even when it's NOT plugged in to charge.
If that's the case, hop in, fire up OnStar and get a status report. Also, you can remotely honk the car horn from MyVolt.com.

"Forgot where you parked and need to locate your Chevrolet Volt? Click here to send a Remote Horn & Lights command to flash your Volt's lights and honk the horn."

Does a vengeful ex have access to your MyVolt account? :)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Maybe it's a malfunctioning RKE fob. Someone on here had a fob that was lowering the windows and had to be replaced; maybe this one sets off the horn? I'd try removing batteries from all fobs after getting home to rule them in/out as a possible cause.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts