GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone notice the new mileage king on Voltstats? He's done over 11,000 miles but only shows two months of data. Impressive if it's true. 99.8% in EV...

MrEnergyCzar

·
Registered
469 Posts
Thats pretty awesome. Jay Leno loves his Volt and is in the 1000's of MPG I believe.

I love this car. Kids love this car. My lady loves this car. Even my ... um... aggressively anti-liberal partner in one business, who mocked me widely for buying it ... loves this car after I loaned it to him for a day of running errands and he got 73 miles on the battery and 104 total. And his driving style was BAD (just lots of partial charges).

Its just awesome!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Anyone notice the new mileage king on Voltstats? He's done over 11,000 miles but only shows two months of data. Impressive if it's true. 99.8% in EV...
11,000 * .998 / 30.5 /2 ~= 175 miles/day. Assuming 45 miles/charge, that's 3.8 full charges a day. At 4 hours per charge at 220V, that's 15.5 hours/day of charging, leaving 8.5 hours for driving. At 50MPH, that's 3.5 hours of driving time, leaving 5 hours for doing whatever the person does at destinations (eating at a restaurant, buying stuff at a store, ringing a doorbell to drop off paperwork, etc.). And if the destination is home, sleep.

So it would be very close to impossible for one person to do this; if it is real, it's either a company car (for a company that is open 24 hours/day), or someone on the verge of a nervous breakdown (given how crazy their schedule is and lack of sleep).

Even if it is a company car, the logistics necessary to make it work would be nearly impossible. It would need to be open 24 hours/day, not a delivery company (unless delivering to places that are open 24/7 like hospitals). And to prevent gas from being used, trips would need to be less than ~20 miles away, and charging would need to be coordinated (e.g. pizza delivery wouldn't work, unless there was a backup car that was being used while the Volt was charging). And it would need to be a "perfect business" -- one that not only is open 24x7, but also needs to be used 24x7 (e.g. taxis are occasionally not used, food delivery has a lot of downtime as well).

The one realistic option I could see is GM testing a Volt to get very high real-life miles on it. In that scenario, it could be run 24x7 (while not charging). But I would be surprised if they would put such a car on voltstats, as they would likely consider that information to be proprietary.

So, as impressive as it would be if true, I'd chalk this up to an error of some sort. If not an error, I'd say GM testing.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I noticed when that Volt was added a few weeks ago. Bumped me down a notch. I'm just waiting to hit 2,000 mpg. If I do not drive any more gas miles, I would need around 26K miles on my Volt to reach that kind of number!

Anyone know how the Volt actually calculates the MPG?

According to the Gasoline burned on the trip odometer I have used 4.1 gallons in 8816 miles. This should be around 2150 mpg. However according to VoltStats it is reporting 1,825 mpg. If the 1,825 number is correct then I would have used 4.8 gallons.

According to VoltStats I have 4.6 gallons remaining. 4.8 + 4.6 = 9.4 gallons. Isn't this bigger than the size of the tank?

How much gas is generally in the car after filling the tank?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts