GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right after (and I do mean 100,460mi kind of right after) my trusty Volt decided to throw DTC codes. All this happened the night of a lightning strike, we shall see what else it needs!

The 12V AGM battery finally died after 5yrs in service. And the dealer says they won't even pull the codes until I "resolve" the battery issue.
$220 battery
$59 labor
taxes TBD.
THEN they'll bother to look at the DTC codes.

I have learned there is no direct replacement on the market. Another AGM battery that fits may exist but you will have to find it yourself. The only alternate source I found one was eBay for $461! The only other match was Batteries Plus, but they had a Lead Acid listed. :(

This post is just for anyone else that might want to try and cross reference. Get thee to a junkyard before it happens to someone you love!

Vehicle: Volt
Engine: L4/Gas
CCA (OEM): 600
MY 15 OEM Part Number: 47P7YR
MY 16 OEM Part Number: 47P7YR
MY 17 OEM Part Number: 47P7YR
ACDelcoPart Number: EVLN2
GMPart Number: 88865475
CCA (Service): 630
Battery*Type: AGM

>----
#15-06-03-002F: Original Equipment Batteries Part Number and*ACDelcoReplacement*Battery*Approved Warranty Part Numbers – (Apr 6, 2017)

https://gm.oemdtc.com/3532/15-06-03...-2017-gm-passenger-cars-and-light-duty-trucks

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Right after (and I do mean 100,460mi kind of right after) my trusty Volt decided to throw DTC codes. All this happened the night of a lightning strike, we shall see what else it needs!

The 12V AGM battery finally died after 5yrs in service. And the dealer says they won't even pull the codes until I "resolve" the battery issue.
$220 battery
$59 labor
taxes TBD.
THEN they'll bother to look at the DTC codes.

I have learned there is no direct replacement on the market. Another AGM battery that fits may exist but you will have to find it yourself. The only alternate source I found one was eBay for $461! The only other match was Batteries Plus, but they had a Lead Acid listed. :(

This post is just for anyone else that might want to try and cross reference. Get thee to a junkyard before it happens to someone you love!

Vehicle: Volt
Engine: L4/Gas
CCA (OEM): 600
MY 15 OEM Part Number: 47P7YR
MY 16 OEM Part Number: 47P7YR
MY 17 OEM Part Number: 47P7YR
It's just an AGM Group 47 (or DIN H5) battery. They're not scarce. Can even get one from Sear.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Got mine at Advance Auto, H5-AGM, about $190.

They have a 20% coupon every now and then.

There's a 12v battery thread here somewhere, but i can't search for it right now.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
If the 12V is bad, other error codes are meaningless. Your dealer is correct to replace the battery first. It takes about 30 min to swap, and will cost about $200 from a parts store if you do it yourself. GM price is reasonable considering it is GM.

If the 12V fails, all sorts of check engine lights and errors can occur since the computer systems fail to start and report correctly. I replaced mine a year or so ago, and it just started flaking out again. Might have to check the warranty on my 12V.

·
Registered
622 Posts
AGM = Advanced Glass Mat. Sometimes Referred to as a GEL-Cell battery.

Not sure if it's applicable but I replaced 12v batt in my Prius With an Optima battery. I don't recall the Group size, but its medium sized and has pencil post terminals.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts

Not sure if it's applicable but I replaced 12v batt in my Prius With an Optima battery. I don't recall the Group size, but its medium sized and has pencil post terminals.
Correction: AGM = Absorbed Glass Mat, a construction method for lead-acid chemistry. Optima batteries are also AGM. Main feature is they do not off gas, so they can be installed in the passenger compartment.

You should be able to get a Volt replacement at any FLAPS (Friendly Local Auto Parts Store). Some will even install if for you for free.

VIN #B0985

·
Registered
541 Posts
Any AC Delco parts supplier can get the EVLN2 battery within a day or two. Look at their site to find the nearest one to you, have them order one, and install it yourself. If you a have a basic socket set it takes about 20 minutes.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Correction: AGM = Absorbed Glass Mat, a construction method for lead-acid chemistry. Optima batteries are also AGM. Main feature is they do not off gas, so they can be installed in the passenger compartment.

You should be able to get a Volt replacement at any FLAPS (Friendly Local Auto Parts Store). Some will even install if for you for free.

VIN #B0985
you are Correct, Thanks

·
Registered
707 Posts
You can get the Duracell AGM-H5 at your local Sam's Club for $135 and they should install it for that too.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Replace the battery and then clear any pending and active codes. The 12v batteries are the number one replacement item in the first three years of car ownership (source: JD Powers back in 2013). The fact that your battery lasted four years in Texas is actually quite good. Heat does these batteries in.

·
Administrator
20,428 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Replace the battery and then clear any pending and active codes. The 12v batteries are the number one replacement item in the first three years of car ownership (source: JD Powers back in 2013). The fact that your battery lasted four years in Texas is actually quite good. Heat does these batteries in.
If 4 years in Texas is quite good, what is 6+ years in Arizona?

VIN # B0985

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Steverino! And everyone too!

I did search 47P7YR in the forums since that is what is printed on the battery, and that is the only part number not in the excellent FAQ. May I suggest adding it so indexing will find it? I did not return to the forums until after I found the other part numbers, so my bad.

Fingers crossed on the fate of my car, but I am hopeful underlying issue is just low coolant and a battery that joined the choir eternal. :D

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Mistakenly. AGM mostly behave like normal flooded batteries with a slightly higher "don't discharge below" recommendation and a slightly higher balance and float charge. Real gel cells need much more gentle handling (eg special regulator on an alternator, etc) on the charge side and can't output as much current but can discharge far more deeply and tolerate being left along/unused much better.

·
4,869 Posts
Usually a lot of DTC's come specifically with/because of a 12V battery failure. Once your 12V battery is replaced, the codes may all go away.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Thanks Steverino! And everyone too!

I did search 47P7YR in the forums since that is what is printed on the battery, and that is the only part number not in the excellent FAQ. May I suggest adding it so indexing will find it? I did not return to the forums until after I found the other part numbers, so my bad.

Fingers crossed on the fate of my car, but I am hopeful underlying issue is just low coolant and a battery that joined the choir eternal. :D

EVLN2 is the correct replacement part number from AC-Delco. GM owns AC-Delco, so it's the closest you'll get to the OEM battery.

http://www.acdelco.com/auto-parts/c...-extended-range-electric-vehicle-battery.html

"Built specifically to meet the unique demands of the Chevy Volt, the ACDelco EREV Battery performs a multitude of functions – from activating the relay which starts the Volt’s engine generator, to its backup of the sophisticated electronics. This battery has 115 minutes of Reserve Capacity (RC). It also features an absorbed glass mat construction and a competitive 24 month limited warranty*. The ACDelco EREV Battery is the only purpose-designed 12-volt replacement battery for the Volt specifically for the Chevrolet Volt’s system requirements."

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
If 4 years in Texas is quite good, what is 6+ years in Arizona?

VIN # B0985
Rare. Extreme heat is the enemy of the 12V AGM battery technology. I normally get 5-6 years and 100,000+ miles out of a battery, but Colorado doesn't get nearly as hot as Texas or Arizona.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I decided to be pro-active and replace the 12V battery on my 2013 Volt (60,000 miles). Winters in New England can be harsh...

I went with the battery from Advance Auto, mostly because it was reasonably priced ($196) and I had a 20% off coupon, and they had free shipping.

But here is a note of caution: The value of their free shipping is exactly what I paid for it. The battery was in a bunch of bubble wrap and there was a totally insufficient amount of padding material around the battery. The box looked like it went through a war zone. The battery had a nice ding on the bottom (in a non-critical area). The battery looked OK otherwise so I went ahead and installed it without issue (note: one thing that most threads miss on the instructions is that you should have a 10mm deep socket to remove the cargo cover and a 12"+ extension to remove the battery hold-down bolt.)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts