GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

New 2016 Volt owner / news :rolleyes:

Just wanted to ensure that my pack is solid, it indicates 45mi EV range full charged. I'm assuming it's not indicating 53mi due to chilly temperate (60F) in SoCal right now and my spirited driving :D:confused:

Just making sure this is normal... Would attach photo from app but this is my first post, not allowed yet.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
439 Posts
Yes, it's normal and a common question of new Volt owners. As has been stated on this site before, the range you get out of the battery depends on many things - whether you are driving fast on the freeway (higher wind drag) or more slowly around town, outside temperature (cold air is denser and give more drag), tire pressure (higher gives less tire/road friction), how heavily the car is loaded, how rapidly you apply the accelerator, route altitude gain or loss, how much you use the heater or air conditioning, etc. The 53-mile EPA range figure is a guide to compare the Volt with other plug-in cars under similar circumstances – it’s not a guaranteed range. The mileage range indicator in the car tries to estimate your probable range on the next trip based on your driving circumstances averaged over several past trips. You will see this estimate adjust accordingly as you make more trips – it learns your driving habits and circumstances. But it’s not clairvoyant – if you suddenly make a trip from the bottom of a mountain to the top, don’t expect an accurate range estimate!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to ensure that my pack is solid, it indicates 45mi EV range full charged. I'm assuming it's not indicating 53mi due to chilly temperate (60F) in SoCal right now and my spirited driving :D:confused:

Just making sure this is normal... Would attach photo from app but this is my first post, not allowed yet.

Thanks!
I hope that is normal. I would also describe my driving habit as spirited, and we have had some chilly weather here in the Bay Area. My OnStar app has consistently shown a full charge range of about 46 miles each morning over the past couple of weeks for my one-month-old Volt. The only time it read a full charge range of 50+ was the morning after I brought the car home from the dealer for the first time. I'm not interested in trying to see how many miles I can squeeze out of a full charge by accelerating like a snail and driving no faster than 55. Road boulders have always irritated me and I don't plan to become one. I've been driving for 53 years and firmly believe that keeping up with the flow of traffic regardless of how fast it is moving offers the best odds of staying alive with all the crazies that populate California's roads and freeways.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been experiencing the same thing with my new 2016, especially during the cold weather (low 30s) experienced immediately after I purchased the car. Now that we're having a spell of unseasonably warm weather (it was 58 degrees at 10 PM in Boston last night - what the hell?!), I've been seeing range estimates in excess of 53 miles. I saw 56 yesterday afternoon, and even after going 10 miles, the estimate was only down to 49.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I hope that is normal. I would also describe my driving habit as spirited,
That's gonna be most of it right there. The range estimates (or "guess-o-meter") are based on your prior driving, which explain why it came from the deal at 50+ and started "losing" range right after. It's not actually going any less distance, it's just taking into account how you are driving it, assuming that's normal for its current existence, and giving you the best guess it can as to how far (driving in that manner typically) it'll get before switching to burning gasoline. If you change your driving style (and maybe buy a tweed hat to warn other drivers that you're not going to speed up again just because the road is clear and you don't see a cop), you'll get the 50+ estimates again in a week.

·
Registered
243 Posts
It's normal. I've notices since a got the car a few weeks ago when fully charged the range is increasing. When I first got the car it was showing in the high 40s. Today I unplugged and it showed I had a 55 mile range. Temperatures are still mild here on Long Island. It was in the 60's this weekend. I'm sure once the winter weather comes in things will change.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Cool, that's what I expected, appreciate input.

All things equal I'm wondering what ideal temps would be for this battery pack, looks like around 75F which makes SoCal ideal location to launch Volt :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had same question. My 2016 shows 47 on a full charge this mornig. My 2015 in same home garage showed 37 on a full charge. I've seen as high as 43 on a full charge on my 2015 when the weather was a bit warmer. So add 6 to 47 would be a 53 full on the 2016.

Of course when my wife drives, she doesn't get nearly as much range on the battery. I wonder why? :p

·
Registered
5,782 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
My experience I hope it helps and you can relate to it:

When I picked up my 16' I was fully charged at 39 miles ev range it was 30 degrees and raining I watched it climb to 43 then 45 and eventually 58miels of ev range is what it is showing me right now. This has all happened since 11/17 and 1,000miles on the odometer. I have been a tame driver with the occasional burst here and there I spend crazy amount of time in stop and go traffic but I guess that is where the Volt excels. This mornings 27 mile drive I had 57 range left my house I reached the parking garage with 38miles of ev range left. This car is really starting to impress me. I hope yours will do the same.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Hi everyone,

Thanks!
To improve your EV RANGE read pages 25-27...:)
https://my.chevrolet.com/content/da...uals/2016/Chevrolet/Volt/2k16volt1stPrint.pdf

·
Registered
46 Posts
That's gonna be most of it right there. The range estimates (or "guess-o-meter") are based on your prior driving, which explain why it came from the deal at 50+ and started "losing" range right after. It's not actually going any less distance, it's just taking into account how you are driving it, assuming that's normal for its current existence, and giving you the best guess it can as to how far (driving in that manner typically) it'll get before switching to burning gasoline. If you change your driving style (and maybe buy a tweed hat to warn other drivers that you're not going to speed up again just because the road is clear and you don't see a cop), you'll get the 50+ estimates again in a week.
I'm familiar with what you are saying. I traded in a 2014 Spark EV for the 2016 Volt. Chevy claimed a range of 84 miles in the Spark. Because it was fun to drive (sort of like a Go Cart on steroids) I frequently had a lead foot that would result in a full charge range in the low 70s. On one occasion, however, I spent a week using every trick in the book that would result in the longest possible range: slow acceleration, avoiding the freeway, anticipating stops, and in essence driving like there was a raw egg between my foot and the accelerator. Using these techniques I was able to get the range in the Spark up to 105 miles. There is no doubt in my mind that I could easily exceed the advertised 53 mile range in the Volt. But like the Spark before it, I couldn't care less about the range because the car is so much fun to drive.

·
Registered
384 Posts
My Volt has a hard time reaching 37 miles every morning.

It's around 40F right now, wet and damp. The car has no preconditionning. I have to use the "max" front and rear window ventilation many times during the commute because the car get fogged up really quick (never seen that in other cars). I don't use max or eco mode for air con. I do mostly highway with speeds from 50 to 70mph, it's dark outside.

With this routine I don't get much above 37 miles on the battery.

I am quite disappointed but it' smy first EV car so maybe it's normal that the range drops that much...

My all time high was 45 miles with preconditionning, using eco mode and using some ICE engine when steady cruising on the highway.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm in Oregon, and I've had my 2016 Volt for about 2 weeks now.
I was getting around 40-44 EV range until yesterday, which showed estimated EV range of 39 fully charged.
Right now it shows 38 EV range fully charged. It's 41 degrees right now.
No hills where I drive. Hopefully this will improve in the spring.

My daily commute is under 30 miles but wish I was getting the 50+ others are getting.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Tire pressure is 34PSI all around and it's 43F outside, I think I can probably add 2PSI?
Get them up to at least 40 psi...:)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Jeff, I've had my Volt now about a month longer then you. My commute is 44 miles roundtrip. I can usually do it all electric even in this weather we're having.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The climate control system, particularly the heat, makes an enormous difference in range. I have an ELR with 37 miles of advertised range. With the climate control completely off I can easily go 45 miles in EV day after day. But if I run the defroster continually, I will be lucky to get 35 miles in EV mode.

If you cannot do your commute all electric because you need heat or defrost, kick on the ICE in hold mode for about 2-3 minutes at the start of your commute. Then just before you turn off the engine, crank the heat way up to get the cabin comfortable quickly while the coolant is still hot. The ICE gets hot very quickly and the hot coolant from the ICE allows you to largely bypass the electric heat that sucks down your range. You will save gas vs. running the electric heat and then using the ICE in range extender mode at the end of your trip. In my experience, that trick can easily tack on 5-7 miles of EV range. You will definitely use more gas running in extended range for 5-7 miles vs. a few minutes in Hold to get the car warm.

This works best on dry days when you don't have to run the defroster all the time and really just need one big boost of heat to initially warm the cabin and can then set the heat way back to MIN or even turn it off entirely. I find the cold, wet days when you have to use the defroster constantly are the worst days for EV range.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts