GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made an appointment for an oil change at my Chevy dealer. They suggested I needed the 45K service. It included checking everything under the sun, rotating tires, adding additives to the oil and gas, and oh, the oil change.

Has anyone heard of this? Is this required?

Terry

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Just say no.
Check the manual for required maintenance. At 45k miles it's virtually nothing. The only thing I would consider is the tire rotation.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Are they doing a brake job or just a checkup? If it includes brakes then that's reasonable, seems excessive it all they are doing is changing fluids.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I made an appointment for an oil change at my Chevy dealer. They suggested I needed the 45K service. It included checking everything under the sun, rotating tires, adding additives to the oil and gas, and oh, the oil change.

Has anyone heard of this? Is this required?

Terry
Similar thread: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?85434-799-for-25K-service

According to GM:
http://www.gmfleet.com/content/dam/gmfleet/global/master/nscwebsite/en/Home/Shared_Resources/PDFs/gmc1-12-01151-226-volt-maintenance.pdf

Every Month
• Engine oil level check
• Engine, power electronics, and high-voltage battery pack
coolant level checks
• Fluids leak visual check. A leak in any system must be
repaired and the fluid level checked
• Windshield washer fluid level check
• Tire inflation check
• Tire wear inspection

Every 7,500 mi/12,000 km
• Rotate tires

Every 15,000 mi/24,000 km
• Check the engine oil filter for corrosion if driving in a corrosive
environment, such as areas of high humidity, along an
ocean coast, and/or areas that apply road salt during winter
• Cooling systems inspection
• Windshield wiper blade inspection for wear, cracking, or
contamination and windshield and wiper blade cleaning, if
contaminated. Worn or damaged wiper blade replacement
• Engine air cleaner filter inspection
• Brake system inspection
• Steering and suspension inspection. Visual inspection for
damaged, loose, or missing parts or signs of wear
• Body hinges and latches and key lock cylinders lubrication
• Restraint system component check
• Fuel system inspection for damage or leaks
• Exhaust system and nearby heat shields inspection for loose
or damaged components
• Cooling systems check — engine, high-voltage systems
and power module
• Accelerator pedal check for damage, high effort, or binding.
Replace if needed
• Check the sealant expiration date printed on the instruction
label of the tire sealant and compressor kit. See Tire Sealant
and Compressor Kit
• Hood/decklid/liftgate support gas strut service: visually
inspect gas strut. Contact your dealer if service is required
• Every 24 months or when the CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON
message displays, change the engine oil and filter. The
engine oil and filter must be changed at least once every
24 months. After each oil and filter change, the oil life system
must be reset

Every 50,000 mi/80,000 km
• Engine air cleaner filter replacement
• Evaporative control system inspection. Check all fuel and
vapor lines and hoses for proper hook-up, routing, and
condition. Check that the purge valve, if the vehicle has one,
works properly. Replace as needed

Every 150,000 mi/240,000 km or 5 years
• Engine drive belt inspection. Replace if needed
• Cooling systems — drain, flush, refill

Every 10 Years
• Air conditioning system flush and refill and desiccant replacement

Every 100,000 mi/160,000 km
• Spark plug replacement and spark plug wires inspection

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Sounds like your dealer is trying to make some extra money. Tell them no, just an oil change.

PS, an inspection shouldn't cost much, like $100 or less, and many shops inspect stuff for free when your car is in for other work (like recalls)

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
My 45K mile service cost me $20; tire rotation.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
RTFM on scheduled maintenance and decide for yourself if the "check" items are worth $900 for your peace-of-mind.

According to the 2016 Volt service schedule, in addition to the tire rotation and oil/filter change, the air filter should be replaced (something that most owners can do themselves. Personally, I would buy the filter from the dealer.) Additionally, the cabin air filter should be replaced (but, since the Volts don't come with them, unless you have been proactive and installed one yourself, this recommendation can be ignored.) Lastly, a visual inspection of fuel lines and vacuum hoses is recommended (for $900 I can and do take my chances and rely solely on a trouble code tripping in the event a problem should ever occur.)

So, it is not required that you spend $900, for the recommended actions to be accomplished. You can do it yourself and save $$$. Just remember to save the sales slip for the engine air filter.

And, yes, I recall a woman posting here about paying the dealer ~$750 for an oil change. I pitied her. I think that she finally got her money back after a Volt adviser stepped in.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I downloaded this when researching the 2016 model. its not as verbose as the individual items listed on the GM website but a good visual representation.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Are they doing a brake job or just a checkup? If it includes brakes then that's reasonable, seems excessive it all they are doing is changing fluids.
A brake job at 45,000 miles... on a Volt???

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I downloaded this when researching the 2016 model. its not as verbose as the individual items listed on the GM website but a good visual representation.
I believe that this schedule is for severe service, not normal service. AFAIK, most people fall under normal service.

·
Registered
385 Posts
They told me the same thing. Wanted to charge ridiculous amounts for simple things, none of which need done. I just went with the free oil change. :)

·
Administrator
19,980 Posts
I hope you checked the owners manual before agreeing.

·
Registered
425 Posts
The schedule covers all with the 'severe' portion indicating which items apply to severe driving scenarios - which is basically just the Change electric drive unit fluid entry. The diagram matches with the list of items on the website. For 45K miles it looks a lot, but most is 'visually inspect' or 'check' and I would have thought it should be part of most dealers multipoint inspections.

This is what the website says:
Because everyone’s driving habits and conditions vary, additional services may be required. Additional services – ‘normal’ are for vehicles that carry passengers and cargo within recommended limits according to the tire and loading information label; are driven on reasonable road surfaces; and use the recommended fuel. Additional services – ‘severe’ are for vehicles that are mainly driven in hilly or mountainous terrain; frequently tow a trailer; are used for high speed or competitive driving; or are used for taxi, police or delivery service.

Special Applicable Services:
  • Have underbody flushing service performed once a year.
  • Severe Commercial Use Vehicles Only: Lubricate chassis components every 5,000 km / 3,000 miles.
  • Have air conditioning system flushed and refilled and desiccant replaced every ten years.
45000 mile service (72000 Km)
  • Engine, power electronics, and high voltage battery pack coolant level checks.
  • Rotate the tires, if recommended for the vehicle.
  • Check engine oil level and oil life percentage. If needed, change engine oil and filter, and reset oil life system.
  • Check engine coolant level.
  • Check windshield washer fluid level.
  • Visually inspect windshield wiper blades for wear, cracking, or contamination. Replace worn or damaged wiper blades.
  • Check tire inflation pressures.
  • Inspect tire wear.
  • Visually check for fluid leaks.
  • Inspect engine air cleaner filter.
  • Inspect brake system.
  • Visually inspect steering, suspension, and chassis components for damaged, loose, or missing parts or signs of wear.
  • Check restraint system components.
  • Visually inspect fuel system for damage or leaks.
  • Visually inspect exhaust system and nearby heat shields for loose or damaged parts.
  • Lubricate body components.
  • Check electrical drive unit shift lock control function.
  • Check parking brake and automatic transmission park mechanism.
  • Check accelerator pedal for damage, high effort, or binding. Replace if needed.
  • Visually inspect gas strut for signs of wear, cracks, or other damage. Check the hold open ability of the strut. See your dealer if service is required.
  • Check tire sealant expiration date, if equipped.
  • Inspect evaporative control system.
  • Replace engine air cleaner filter.
  • Change electric drive unit fluid. Change filter if serviceable. (severe)

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
As other posters have pointed out, the 45K service is really the third 15K service. Mostly inspections and checks. My 15K and 30K services cost about $45 including the oil change. The quoted $900 seems crazy high. I haven't spent that much on my Volt in six years. The biggest expense was replacing the battery, and that only cost $250.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Sounds like gouging to me.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
This is your dealer going "OMG....a Volt in for service?! We gotta milk this guy for all he's worth, because he won't be back for another 3-4 years!"

Tell them to shove it and find another dealer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts