GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still trying to get used to 2017 Volt, I charged overnight at 12amp 120v, received a message on smartphone app via mychevrolet that car fully charged, the total EV range is 44.

Is this normal?, I thought the range on the 2017 is 53. I tried looking for the reading of how many kwh was charged but could not find.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
The range meter (guess-o-meter) is estimating your range based on your driving style plus other factors. It will go way down in winter if you get freezing weather where you live. It can also go way above 53mi if your style, weather, etc is favorable.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
After my car was at the stealer for a few days I found my max range down by several miles. Then slowly after I've been driving it again it is creeping back up.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
The car tracks the last 150 miles to determine how much range to estimate. It uses this information for both the EV and the ICE guess-o-meters (I noticed my ICE range has increased slightly and I haven't touched gas since the Eclipse.)

·
Registered
806 Posts
As long as the green battery gauge on the DIC shows it's full (e.g. all bars lit up) then I think you are fine. As others have posted, the range is a 'guess' based on your recent driving performance. If you do a lot of EV highway driving at *ahem* slightly higher than posted speeds or a lot of mountain climbing, your range will suffer and the gauge will reflect that.

·
Registered
331 Posts
My average was 50,51,52,53 on a full charge and one night last week I woke up to a 46 mile range.

Now everyday since then its been 43, 44, 46

Weather has been hot with AC blasting but it was like this when I was getting 50+ and I drive no different so I don't know what happened but whatever.

Just makes me want a Tesla more. Hate having to use gas.

·
Administrator
21,043 Posts
Temperature, terrain, tire pressure, driving style, A/C can all affected the mileage you get, just as with any car. The estimate you are seeing is based on those factors.

·
Registered
14,008 Posts
I call leadfoot!!!! But that's OK. I'm lucky to get 30 on my Gen1 volt with custom 18" wheels while driving it like a jackrabbit.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Check your tire pressures. I wonder if you have a low tire. Also, after driving see if you can touch your wheels. A dragging brake will also cause this and will get very hot as a result so touch carefully.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Mr. X - Not sure what part of CA your in, but here in the central valley it's been brutally hot this summer and I've found my A/C has been used much more heavily the past month. This has resulted in my Gen 1 range estimate going from 44 down to as low as 35. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if your case is similar. Weather seems to be cooling this week, and we're back down under 100 from long stretches of near 110 and up. I'm anticipating seeing 45 for a few weeks before winter starts to kick in and the heater starts to kill my range. I know at the height of the heat wave(s) my DIC indicated I was drawing 6kW just running the A/C. I can't imagine the Gen 2 is much more efficient if at all when the compressor has to run it's hardest to keep both the battery and passenger compartment cool.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
damn, never experienced the AC nuking my range to such an extent even when we went through a really muggy heat wave here in Georgia. I did find that if ECO wasn't pumping air at me like I wanted I simply jacked the fan speed up. Still your commute must be damn special to drop that much range off this car in summer.

sorry, but if you aren't getting the range you want out of the Volt the Tesla will disappoint you too, other than not using gas

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,691 Posts
Volt_dc, do you have any freeway mileage on your commute? If so, how many miles, and at what speed are you driving it. With the gen1, speeds over 60 will hurt your mpg -- speeds over 70 will kill it. I suspect the gen2 is similar.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Volt_dc, do you have any freeway mileage on your commute? If so, how many miles, and at what speed are you driving it. With the gen1, speeds over 60 will hurt your mpg -- speeds over 70 will kill it. I suspect the gen2 is similar.
With the gen2, anything over 60 starts to kill miles per kWh. I can average about 4.2 miles per kWh on the gen2 with an average speed of about 58mph during 80d F weather.

On this same drive (with same temp) if I set the cruise to 65, that number drops to about 3.8 miles per kWh. At 70 (the speed limit) I'm down to about 3.2 miles per kWh.

Now, having said all that, at 70mph in hold mode I'm averaging about 42mpg. At 80mph I drop to about 38mpg.

Will be interesting to see what the weather does. We've had some unseasonably cool weather and today I was only +.1 on the temp gauge (65d F). Tomorrow should be colder.

TJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, after a few weeks with my 2017 Volt I average 44miles using 14.4kwh...... I'd say aprx 70% freeway (68mph) ..... I'd probably get more if driving less freeway.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
OK, after a few weeks with my 2017 Volt I average 44miles using 14.4kwh...... I'd say aprx 70% freeway (68mph) ..... I'd probably get more if driving less freeway.
Try boosting your tire pressure 2 -3 lbs above the recommended 36 PSI. If you are experiencing a heat wave the Volt's AC can use as much as 8% of the battery but typically only 4 - 6%. Try using Economy mode AC and set the climate control to no lower than 74F. Turn on recirculate as the AC will not have to work as hard. I know it is heresy to say so but if you must drive ~ 70 MPH consider using Hold mode for part of your highway driving, perhaps 10 - 15 miles on gas as this will use only .25 to .33 gallon of fuel. Your Volt's battery will take you much further at lower speeds, easily get you 60 miles of EV range overall.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
There's a simple analysis for you. Drive at 60 instead of 68 and report back. My guess is that you'll add 10 miles of range.

I know at the height of the heat wave(s) my DIC indicated I was drawing 6kW just running the A/C. I can't imagine the Gen 2 is much more efficient if at all when the compressor has to run it's hardest to keep both the battery and passenger compartment cool.
6kW sounds incredible. It's not as hot here for as long, but in 90 degree heat I can keep the car perfectly cool with 1kW.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
With our 2016 Volt Premier with my wife and I driving on the Oregon Coast Highway, Highway 101, with early fall afternoon temp's around 65 - 70 degrees, and dry roads, we have been averaging 60-62 miles on electric, and over 50 mpg on gas only. Highway 101 max speed limit is 55 mph with plenty of small towns on the way down the coast to the Tillamook Oregon area where we go fishing. Last trip, yesterday, was 133 miles with 63 on electric and over 59 mpg for the remainder just on gas. When our Volt is driven at those speeds with the current climate it is one of the most economical cars per mile than nearly any car out there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts