GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many people are going to pay $40k for this ugly car when then can get an ugly Prius for about half? The concept would have attracted a lot of people due combination of looks and environment. I was excited. Now I will either sit on sidelines waiting for a good looking environmentally friendly car or wait until Toyota comes out with a $30k version of this car. I do not see the market at $40k. GM sure hopes I am wrong.

·
Registered
108 Posts
It's not as ugly as a Prius, as far as I can see.

As others have pointed out, it looks one heck of a lot like a Camry. Like a standard sedan, an Accord, or a Malibu. That is intentional, obviously.

It looks like Mr. Lutz has decided to make the Volt appeal to the general sedan market, rather than to a niche market who wanted the concept car, or a camaro-esque car. GM NEEDS to make a hit out of the Volt. If they want to sell a million of them in the first five years, it is critical that the first cut be a family sedan.

As to the price, I believe that GM is waiting to see what kind of tax credit incentives are made available. They will then sell the car for what, according to their market research, will be the net price people will pay to reach their sales objectives. They know they are going to take a loss, but they want to control the market, the demand... so that people want the car, are willing to pay for the car, and get the car.

Keep in mind that, once the Volt is selling like hot cakes, there will be no stopping other configurations... One that comes immediately to mind is a true sports/muscle car, under the Pontiac brand, that has say a 20 mile all-electric range with a lot more powerful electric motors and a lot less aerodynamics and battery weight. I think that will appeal to a lot of people, who might otherwise buy a Camaro. And, because the batteries are such a high expense component of the car, it will allow the designers to spend more money on making it a muscle car.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I like the looks of the "production" Volt better than the concept car. I can't picture myself driving the kids around in that concept car, just too strange looking for me. Yes, I'm boring.

When the Volt is successful there will no doubt be many more production electric cars, some will be sporty, some will be sedans, and some will be SUVs....

·
Registered
462 Posts
I dislike the direction that the car has gone, it should have been more unique.. but I can't stand it when people complain that it is as "ugly" as the prius. Why does everyone think the prius is ugly?! I think it looks really good. I love mine! In fact, it's a shame I have to trade it in for the volt!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree with bj. I don't think the Prius is ugly. I think Toyota did a smart thing by making it look unique. GM's concept Volt looked unique also. The look was a large part of what made me really want the car. Now that the production Volt looks plain sedanish, I think it may lose a lot of it's following. I still want a car with the E-flex drive, but I may wait awhile to see what else they come up with. Come on GM, give us something stylish!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts