GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
40A 9.6kW Level 2 Econo OpenEVSE Waterproof Outdoor Charging Station For Sale
Many people have asked me for a cheaper EVSE. I have a 240v 40A 9.6kW OpenEVSE for sale with a Custom 40A J1772 22 foot cable using a 63A plug. 40A 4ft. Power input cable with 14-xx plug. (unused neutral blade removed to allow plugging into a 30A, 50A or 60A outlet) 50A high current contactor. This unit operates at Level 2 on 240VAC. 120v/240v available as well. This is mounted in a light gray outdoor rated enclosure. This unit requires a 50A 240V circuit with a NEMA 14-50 outlet for full 40A potential. However you can plug it into a 30A 14-30 dryer outlet if you don’t need the full 40A for example.

It will charge any J1772 compliant car at up to 40A (9.6kW)
The EVSE advertises the available current to the EV which intern draws what it is designed for.

Specs:
OpenEVSE v.2.5Plus board running newest firmware
All nuts/bolts/washers are STAINLESS STEEL
The base plate inside is 1/4" thick high quality plexigalss, no thin stuff here.
22ft. Custom 40A J1772 “Whip” with 63A high current plug and PET braided sleeving.
The contactor is a quality 50A 240v unit
The input cable is 40A 4ft. 8ga. with the popular NEMA 14-50 plug. This is the one all the Tesla guys have installed as well as the standard at RV parks!
You can even use the PlugShare app and set the filters to include NEMA 14-50 and see all of them in the country, there are a surprising number of them.
Ready and charging status LED’s
Heat shrink tubing used throughout.
All parts are new.

Here is a link to the owner’s manual:
https://code.google.com/p/open-evse/wiki/Users_Guide

If you would like the unit customized with a twist lock plug for example or something other than the NEMA 14-50 plug I can do that for the difference in parts. In the case of a L6-30 it would allow you to use many adapters. I also build custom adapters, see my other thread.

The price is $411.00 plus $25 for UPS ground shipping in the continental USA. I offer a 1 Year Parts and Labor Warranty on all my EVSE’s

Also available in 26A 6.24kW version for $405.00
(J1772 cable changed to 26A 15ft., all else the same)

Also available in 50A 12kW version for $422.00
(J1772 cable changed to 52A 22ft., Power input cable changed to 50A 6ga., all else the same)

If you would like to see it in action on your EV we can arrange that thru private message at my home. Local pickup in Las Vegas near Smith's grocery on East Flamingo. Payment is by PayPal if shipped or cash for local pickup.

I worked hard on a nice PDF featuring some of the EVSE's I build and accessories. Check it out here for current pricing:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hc6ei1dkkqwbiwz/BSAelectronics EVSE flyer.pdf?dl=0

I get a lot of inquires about custom builds. YES I definitely take orders for anything you would like to see in your EVSE. Example I can build this one here for the same price and make the Whip longer for well under $2/ft up to 50ft. Private message me or if you have a general question you think the rest of the community can benefit from post it here.

Case Specs:
Case measures 7.9" x 4.8" x 3"
Cover seal makes this ideal for outdoor use in a wide range of adverse conditions
Molded on surface-mounting flanges
Captive, stainless steel screws thread into brass inserts for cover on/cover off applications

Main Board Specs:
Open Source - Hardware (Creative Commons 3.0 BY-SA) and Firmware (GNU GPL v3)
Fully supports SAE J1772 Recommended Practice
Software adjustable pilot (6A – 40A)
4W Switch Mode Power Supply Integrated
Built in GFCI with 20ma trip point
Supports all J1772 states including “ventilation required”
Supports Diode check
AC L1 – L2 auto detect Current setting for each (only L2 available on this build)
Ground verification and Stuck Relay detection

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'm definitely not insulted.... I'm impressed he built it. Shows talent and love of the craft.

IMHO its GM and Lear who should be getting sued for the sh--ty build quality of their Voltec EVSEs that die after two or three years.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm definitely not insulted.... I'm impressed he built it. Shows talent and love of the craft. ...
I suppose that's a better way to look at it.

Just consider dropping the "because of ... some group" language, it doesn't add anything meaningful.

It is unclear how effective such disclaimers are, but probably better to have it than not.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I suppose that's a better way to look at it.

Just consider dropping the "because of ... some group" language, it doesn't add anything meaningful.

It is unclear how effective such disclaimers are, but probably better to have it than not.
Sorry guys, I certainly didn't mean for it to be insulting, It's just the world we live in now with lawsuits everywhere. In Vegas I'm not exaggerating to say nearly half, in some areas 75% of the billboards are for personal damage lawyers, most with ad campaigns telling people to "sue for the money"

I guess I felt I needed to show a reason for the disclaimer. If anyone has some better language please post it, I am always open to improvement.

Again didn't mean for it to be negative.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
How much for a portable unit that will do with L1 & L2?
I can built that for $390 plus shipping. Here is what the build list would look like:

120v/240v, 30A continuous portable unit with the following features;

14-xx plug (unused Neutral blade omitted for universal flexibility), 30A 3.5ft. power input cable., plugs into 30A dryer (14-30), 50A range outlets (14-50),
and 60A 240v outlets found at fairgrounds (14-60), Several other plugs available too.

Small lt. gray enclosure
No LCD
Power/Ready LED indicator
22FT. 40A BSA Custom braided J1772 Whip $1.70ea addl. ft
Twin 30A Potter & Brummfield relays
Service level: 12A @ 120v <preprogrammed, to anything you request
Service level: 24A @ 240v <preprogrammed, to anything you request

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I'm definitely not insulted.... I'm impressed he built it. Shows talent and love of the craft.

IMHO its GM and Lear who should be getting sued for the sh--ty build quality of their Voltec EVSEs that die after two or three years.
Thanks for the support! I work very hard on these units to build them right and make something to be proud of. I have been fortunate enough to built just over 30 EVSE's to date.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Excellent. Just outstanding what you have done. I will PM you with a few questions. Thanks for this thread and for the others that you have done as well on similar products.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is is possible to get an enclosure with a handle or some other way to secure the charger?
Yes, I could defiantly mount a handle on the outside so you could loop a lock around it. I would say an extra $5 should cover it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I removed the Disclaimer at the bottom as I felt the wording "because of lawyers" may have offend some lawyers or members here. That certainly was not my intent and I apologize to any one that it may have offended. I love being in the small but growing EV community, its an exciting time to be alive and I wish to make friends with as many other EV'ers as I can.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Is this something we could program ourselves later using the OpenEVSE USB adapter?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is this something we could program ourselves later using the OpenEVSE USB adapter?
Yes, absolutely! That's the great thing about using/supporting opensource hardware and software.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
It looks fairly well executed. My only concern might be the spade lugs on the relay actually being able to handle 30 or 40 amps. My experience with most spade lugs is that they get rather hot at 20 amps.

Also I wonder if the relay has an interrupt rating that would meet UL requirements. I would feel better if it had some cartridge fuses in line as well.

Lastly... Since it's home built... If there were ever a fire in your garage... I might be concerned the homeowners insurance company might try to wiggle out of paying a claim. (Even if the EVSE had nothing to do with the fire...) Not saying it's fair. Just saying it might add some difficulties if the insurance company tries to pin the blame on the home built appliance.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Lastly... Since it's home built... If there were ever a fire in your garage... I might be concerned the homeowners insurance company might try to wiggle out of paying a claim. (Even if the EVSE had nothing to do with the fire...) Not saying it's fair. Just saying it might add some difficulties if the insurance company tries to pin the blame on the home built appliance.
If you have the proper outlet/wire/breaker it shouldn't be an issue. If you plug something in that causes a fire (faulty lamp, toaster, etc.) they'll pay.

·
Registered
502 Posts
From a lawyer who's not offended!

On lawyers: I'm one, and you're right to imply that the trial lawyers have significantly distorted our society. I am regularly offended by the lawyer-generated Bravo Sierra that I find on the product warnings for mundane items (like toothpaste!). In California, Proposition 65 has led to some real good news for greedy trial lawyers. Check out this link if you don't think so.

Here's a teaser:
The new video [mentioned in the article] highlights the experiences of three small businesses—a golf club cover manufacturer, instrument case manufacturer, and nutritional supplement manufacturer—served lawsuits under Proposition 65, and explains that while their products pose no reasonable risk of harm to consumers, these businesses were still forced to pay thousands in settlement costs for failing to adequately warn comsumers.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
If you have the proper outlet/wire/breaker it shouldn't be an issue. If you plug something in that causes a fire (faulty lamp, toaster, etc.) they'll pay.
The operative word here is "shouldn't". The insurance company has unlimited resources and legal defense. The homeowner... Not so much. I agree it "should" not be an issue. Reality may be another thing entirely. Good luck on getting your claim paid. Good luck on fighting the insurance company. Let me know how that works out for you...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It looks fairly well executed. My only concern might be the spade lugs on the relay actually being able to handle 30 or 40 amps. My experience with most spade lugs is that they get rather hot at 20 amps.

Also I wonder if the relay has an interrupt rating that would meet UL requirements. I would feel better if it had some cartridge fuses in line as well.

It' hard to see in that pic but the power in and out are under large lugs, the extra spade terminal connections feed the main board it's 4 watts of power and check the output status of the contactor.

The openevse board will operate the whole 6-80a J1772 spec so I edit the firmware on each EVSE to not be able to go over the wirings amp rating. Before I build my 1st EVSE last year I found many people were complaining about the fuses getting between warm and very hot, sometimes failing in the 30amp kits. I chose to build my units from scratch around the openevse board and not use the fuse holders. I chose to limit the current in the firmware which works well as this is what a EVSE's main job is, to be a smart power cord and let the Electric car know what it may draw.

The insurance is an interesting discussion that has come up on many threads accross differnt forums before I even got into building them. One EVSE builder researched it and called his company. This is what was posted:

"OK, here's the long a short of it directly from my insurance carrier (no guarantee that yours is the same, I have great insurance!): Fire is a Covered Peril regardless of how it starts. There is only one exception, and that is if the fire starts from Faulty Wiring. I asked him to elaborate, since many commercial chargers (which lack UL cert as mentioned) aren't wired by the owner or an electrician. He implied that the wiring clause applies to household wiring, and not the end-device. The example he used was "if you are using your bbq and start a fire, it's still a covered peril". So, basically, get your outlet permitted and installed correctly, and everything should be fine. "

1 - 20 of 21 Posts