GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 525 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a beautiful 75 degrees here in Austin, Texas, and I had some driving to do. So as my day went on I noticed that for the first time I was really close to achieving over 40 miles on a single charge. As I rolled into my garage my trip indicator showed "40.0" miles, and my battery indicator guessed I had 1 mile left! Hopefully I can go even higher, but I was hoping other would post here if you have personally gotten 40 miles or more of range on a single charge. Please share a photo of your dashboard (and no cheating with partial charges :) ).

Volt40Miles.jpg

-Chris
Volt #44

·
Registered
335 Posts
I am getting about 42-43 miles per charge here in Houston with ~70 degree weather. (with no AC or Heater or Fan)

Stilgar

·
Registered
882 Posts
I continually get 40+ miles per charge, with a personal best of 48.5 .

Steve in Boca Raton #313

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am getting 39 to 42 miles on a charge. That is with the air on and driving 65 mph with some stop and go Volt #685 in houston Tx.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Had already posted this in another thread but here are my numbers from my first full week driving to work.

Monday 43.1
Tuesday 43.5
Wednesday 43.9
Thursday 43.9
Friday 44.4

Update Tuesday Feb 22
Hit a personal best Tuesday with 46.1 EV miles on a single charge!

Haven't gotten that high since then closest was 45.9
Lowest recently was 41.9

I'm starting to have to run the AC often.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You guys are killing me with your range! Since I got delivery on January 7th it has been cold as a witches broom here in NJ with only a couple of days above 40 degrees. I finally cracked 30 miles yesterday for the first time. Otherwise 20 to 25 miles max while the temps have been low.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
is it more efficient to cool or heat a car? I suppose it is cheaper to cool due to the use of a coolant used versus heat being simply induction. EVs are great in warmer weather and I always wonder why they weren't first introduced entirely in the South rather than NY/NJ and MI.

EV Mileage of 40-45 is far more effective in pulling in customers than saying 30 miles during winter (due to heater use and lower efficiency of Lithium during cold ambient temps). There is a lot of demand for the Volt (I still want one in 2014) but it will be harder to impress the common-man when they know they will "only" get 30 miles per EV charge in winters (dispite their 40-50 in summer).

·
Registered
78 Posts
@bonaire,

Though I'm getting great range in the winter when I don't need A/C or heat, I'm assuming my summer mileage will shrink as the A/C comes on from June-Sept. Perhaps not, but likely so. In an effort to combat daily heat-soak, I'm headed to the window tint shop today to have a film applied that claims 91% IR reduction and 99.9% UV... hopefully that will assist.
Regards,

·
Registered
273 Posts
Here in So.Cal., my best range ever was 44.6 miles. Started off with a range estimate of 38 miles. Temp was about 65 degrees F. Mostly freeway driving at about 65-70 mph. Went up a long freeway hill, remaining range showed 19 miles, then changed to Mountain mode...range dropped instantly to 9 miles, then switched back to normal mode and estimate returned to 19 miles. I kept it in normal because there was no loss of performance in normal mode and in D. Sport mode also works quite well up hills! Common ranges are 35-45 miles per charge.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I am impressed! I have yet to hit 50. Was predicted to hit that one time, but came in lower at 48.5 after I got in a bunch of traffic, and that remains my personal best to date.

Steve in Boca Raton #313

·
Registered
221 Posts
I hit 47 miles yesterday. Most of the time I plug-in before the charge is gone so this is only the second time I have used up a full charge. Here is the trip pattern:

75-78 temp for the first leg. Auto-Eco on the climate control Downhill (100 foot elevation change). Five miles at 30MPH and 15 miles at 65 MPH.
Same temp and CC for the second leg. Uphill (about 600 foot elevation change for 5 miles city street)
70 temp Fan Only CC on third leg. Downhill (about 600 foot elevation change for 9 miles)
60 temp Fan Off CC on last leg. Uphill (about 100 foot elevation change for 13 miles) 3 miles at 65 MPH, then 10 miles stop-and-go.

The best range is at slower speeds. I think at a steady 65MPH the Volt will go about 35-38 miles with mild outside temps. I think in stop-and-go traffic 50 miles is very possible. This is just the opposite of my large V8 ICE Corvette. It uses almost as much fuel at idle as it does at 65 MPH so my stop-and-go MPG is around 12, while the highway MPG is 27-28 at 65 MPH.

The Volt is turning out to be a fantastic choice for urban commuting!

·
Registered
882 Posts
I am still trying to hit 50. Most of my non- local driving is highway.....so although I still hit very high 40's , the 50 mile electric only drive will be elusive until I just take a long easy non highway drive .

Steve in Boca Raton #313

·
Registered
221 Posts
Same route on Saturday except no stop-and-go. I went 45 miles on the charge.

I am impressed!

·
Registered
3 Posts
nickolas

real world numbers: today, outside temp 65f to 70f , cabin 70f set ECO 45.2 miles on Batt ,total trip 104 miles,while crossing the Chesapeak Bay and Kent Narrows bridges twice,no trick driving

40 MPG gas,speed 55-60MPH, total car miles 1471 , I have used 8.5 gallons of the only fillup 12/31/2010, still using the dealership's gas,sweet...

#556 any owner could be happy with these numbers

4/07/11

Well it's gotten warmer and the volt is happy. 55MPH or speed limit , 46.7 miles on Batt 47.4 MPG gas , cabin 77f and 85f outside, set to ECO

·
Registered
143 Posts
got 46 miles on Firday, first day the weather was in the 70's and I didnt use any heating, could have gotten better but half that was highway driving.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Following my first long trip, 225 miles with no recharging, I saw this:

SnowRanch_TripResults_3.jpg

I admit, I did cheat a little. Between home and destination (well, mid-point: it was a round trip) are some rolling hills. I was in Mountain Mode for most of the drive, to conserve charge for the in-town and other very slow driving (I drove to a cattle ranch; the last mile and a half was on one of the ranch's minimally improved dirt roads, with lots of bumps: better take it slow!). The Volt certainly took advantage of those hills and regenerative braking. The generator made the electricity to pull up the hill, but the battery soaked up the juice on the downhill coast.

I ended up running out of battery, back in Normal Mode, with about 1/2 mile to go on the way back home.

(Overall: I was pretty pleased with the Volt's 48.9 nominal mpg, especially since I wasn't loafing on that return leg with 70 mph speed limits.)

·
Registered
452 Posts
That's great Alan, 55.3! Is that the record high? I love this thread. Is there a way to keep a running tally of the current record?

Of course we are all trusting each other not to cheat: the "This Charge" screen only resets when the battery is fully charged, so it is possible to "cheat" and partially charge the battery without resetting the "This Charge" screen, and show hundreds of electric miles on what appears to be one charge.

·
Registered
136 Posts
That's great Alan, 55.3!
Thanks!

Of course we are all trusting each other not to cheat: the "This Charge" screen only resets when the battery is fully charged.
My thought, too. If someone really wanted to show, say, 100 miles on a charge, all it would take is careful monitoring and a quick unplug...But, that really IS cheating!

1 - 20 of 525 Posts