GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Exactly 4 years ago today I picked up my 2012 Volt and surprised my family. No-one but the fine folks of gm-volt forum knew I was getting a Volt.

Well, 4 years of driving my 2012 Volt have been flawless. I'm celebrating today by getting my second oil change done at 86,400 miles.

It is still a joy to drive my Volt every morning. It is like a honeymoon that never ended. I will drive my Volt until it falls apart. I really have no desire to get a Gen 2 as I find the Gen 1 nearly perfect for me.

Fuel savings have been amazing. Using data published by www.eia.gov and scaling it to monthly miles driven I have calculated the following:

Total Fuel cost of 86,318 miles @23 MPG: $12,368
Total Electrical Costs for 86,318 EV miles @ $0.10 / kWh: $2,342
Net Fuel savings: $10,026.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Congratulations Ari. Looking forward to your 100K EV report next. I believe Eric will be there first but his usage pattern is very different from your own.
Yes Erick will be there next week. Erick and I drive the Volt in a complete opposite manner, could not be any more different actually.

Erick uses his full range twice a day, I really never use my full range. Most of it, but never dip into using CS mode.
Erick drives almost exclusively on the highway, I drive almost exclusively on local roads.

However, we both find the Volt perfect for our needs. GM should advertise it like this!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Congrats!!!

I'll be celebrating my 4 year anniversary later this week.

But... I leased, so my anniversary will be celebrated in the 2014 Volt I purchased last year when my lease expired...

·
Registered
185 Posts
It is still a joy to drive my Volt every morning. It is like a honeymoon that never ended. I will drive my Volt until it falls apart. I really have no desire to get a Gen 2 as I find the Gen 1 nearly perfect for me.
Congrats Ari C, May you have many more clean trouble free miles!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Congrats Ari C, May you have many more clean trouble free miles!
Congrats Ari C on your 4 years of EV driving in the Volt. I am at 4.5 years of EV driving with my LEAF but have not reached 30K miles yet. The mileage will accrue even slower on the LEAF, now that I have a 2016 Volt for the longer trips.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very impressive numbers, Ari. Keep on rolling!
Thanks! I see you have the third longest active 100% EV streak going on VoltStats. Pretty impressive for MI. My currently active one (according to VoltStats) is right about 27,500 miles. I will probably pass myself around this time next year and finally reach 50,000 consecutive miles. It still ticks me off that the body shop fixing my damaged mirror and door put 0.14 gas miles on my Volt even though it had an 85% charge at the time.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks! I see you have the third longest active 100% EV streak going on VoltStats. Pretty impressive for MI. My currently active one (according to VoltStats) is right about 27,500 miles. I will probably pass myself around this time next year and finally reach 50,000 consecutive miles. It still ticks me off that the body shop fixing my damaged mirror and door put 0.14 gas miles on my Volt even though it had an 85% charge at the time.
I’m hanging in there; at 100% electric miles since October 2, 2014. I am getting proficient at adjusting my speed to get to where I want to go on all electric, as well as opportunity charging. I recently found a municipal marina just off of my commute route that has public 208v outlets in the parking lot. I’ve stopped in there a couple times when I was a bit light on range.

I probably will take a hiatus in January and February, as I did last year and garage the Volt. Michigan uses an extraordinary amount of salt on the roads in the winter months and I’d like to keep the car out of that.

That body shop snafu has to rankle. Your experience has made me reluctant to to take the car in for service, even to the Chevy garage. I’m due for a tire rotation and I’m thinking of getting a couple of jacks and a TPMS tool and just doing it myself.

But you’re getting there on surpassing your old record and you’re #1 by far in all important categories on VoltStats. Chevy should give you a 2017 Volt just for showing what the true capabilities of a Gen1 are.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.