GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been watching daily just for yucks and they added over 500 from yesterday to today.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
People complain about their slow roll release, but it literally floods the market in each area where the car is shipped. This makes marking it above MSRP difficult to do (although it is still being done with the Bolt EV). Also, people might wait until end of the year to buy a Bolt EV before the tax expires, so probably see a huge surge in sales then.

I was expecting closer to 2000 sales per month from the Bolt EV, but we are only 3 months into the year and there haven't really been significant discounts until recently. I see TrueCar shows an average of $2500 discount per car now, and last month it was only $700. My guess is you see sales climb significantly this month. My guess is they are trying to win back market share from Nissan, who jumped ahead of the Bolt EV by giving away their Leaf's with a $8000 discount or so earlier this year, I think this might be gone now.

I have always thought of the Bolt EV as maybe a $35-40k EV well equipped, but MSRP for one I want is $44k which is a bit steep. If I got that same car for a bit less than $40k I would be more inclined to buy. I still have at least a year with my Volt left so will see what some of the competition looks like at that point, but the Bolt EV looks nice to me.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
People in MD. should at least wait till July 1, 2017 so they can get the $3,000.00 tax credit from the state.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I was expecting closer to 2000 sales per month from the Bolt EV, but we are only 3 months into the year and there haven't really been significant discounts until recently. I see TrueCar shows an average of $2500 discount per car now, and last month it was only $700. My guess is you see sales climb significantly this month. My guess is they are trying to win back market share from Nissan, who jumped ahead of the Bolt EV by giving away their Leaf's with a $8000 discount or so earlier this year, I think this might be gone now.

I have always thought of the Bolt EV as maybe a $35-40k EV well equipped, but MSRP for one I want is $44k which is a bit steep. If I got that same car for a bit less than $40k I would be more inclined to buy. I still have at least a year with my Volt left so will see what some of the competition looks like at that point, but the Bolt EV looks nice to me.
Someone greenlights incentives, perhaps fueled by the nearly 400K M3 preorders they did not allow them for Dec/Jan/Feb/Mar...Now after 3.25 weeks (Dec had like a week of sales) GM slashes about 25% off the CARB state leases for April...

It's the features and options...Rather than slashing lease pricing, imagine how much more attractive it would be if DCFC/C1/C2 were standards on all models? All MY17 Toyotas have most of the C1/C2 goodies standard which can lower your insurance premiums in some locations...

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Someone greenlights incentives, perhaps fueled by the nearly 400K M3 preorders they did not allow them for Dec/Jan/Feb/Mar...Now after 3.25 weeks (Dec had like a week of sales) GM slashes about 25% off the CARB state leases for April...

It's the features and options...Rather than slashing lease pricing, imagine how much more attractive it would be if DCFC/C1/C2 were standards on all models? All MY17 Toyotas have most of the C1/C2 goodies standard which can lower your insurance premiums in some locations...
Hopefully GM sees that the majority of orders include the fast charging port, and they make it a standard feature in future MYs. I believe the one Bolt I confirmed to have a $4k discount (largest I've seen) was a Premier....without fast charging. I bet that was one reason it was discounted so heavily, while other Bolts at that dealership were only $2,500 off.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
I just got $12,200 off MSRP on a new 2017 GMC Acadia Denali. When I did the math I almost choked - 25% off MSRP. My $49K Acadia cost me $37K

Chevy may have to offer similar discounts.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
^ just proves how much of a margin there is on SUV's and why the manufactures love them sooooo much.

I would doubt you'd ever see anywhere near 25% off MSRP on a current model year Bolt.... there's just not enough margin.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
The GM SUV market is skewed at the moment because the next gen 2018's are arriving on dealer's lots so the 17's have to go. And yes, trucks and SUV's are immensely profitable.
Don't know if this is good or bad news - Bolts are on dealer lots in Michigan in April rather than September. CARB state dealers already saturated with Bolts?

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
The GM SUV market is skewed at the moment because the next gen 2018's are arriving on dealer's lots so the 17's have to go. And yes, trucks and SUV's are immensely profitable.
Don't know if this is good or bad news - Bolts are on dealer lots in Michigan in April rather than September. CARB state dealers already saturated with Bolts?
True but my Acadia is the Gen II (also the Caddy XT5 this year) Buick/Chevy get it next year. The Gen I now named Acadia Limited is also on sale along side the Gen II. So 25% off the newest platform is significant savings.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
True but my Acadia is the Gen II (also the Caddy XT5 this year) Buick/Chevy get it next year. The Gen I now named Acadia Limited is also on sale along side the Gen II. So 25% off the newest platform is significant savings.
Wow, that's a great deal. How hard did you have to negotiate?

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
It's not just SUVs are profitable, but most of the big three have huge mark ups...

Chevy.com right now, 16% off of 5 models including the non-SUV Malibu and that's from GM, not the dealer...Most dealers will go under invoice on anything...Historically July has been the huge fire sale, that was when GM kicked in 20% off several models including the Volt and that was on top of what the dealership offered as a discounts...

As with almost all vehicles, the higher the trims, the more options the higher the profit regardless of segment...

Hopefully GM sees that the majority of orders include the fast charging port, and they make it a standard feature in future MYs. I believe the one Bolt I confirmed to have a $4k discount (largest I've seen) was a Premier....without fast charging. I bet that was one reason it was discounted so heavily, while other Bolts at that dealership were only $2,500 off.
I believe making C2 and DCFC standard for all trims would immediately boost sales...

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Wow, that's a great deal. How hard did you have to negotiate?
Not one iota. They had 4 advertised and we walked in at 2:45 pm and drove off at 6:15 pm. Most of that wait was for them to PDI and detail it for us. I think they one have one left with $12K off MSRP. And another amazing thing, they asked me what I needed for my trade to make the deal, I gave them a number, they came within $500 of my high end KBB Trade In value.

As I said this is BEST new car deal I ever got.

But circling back to why we are here, I have owned three Volt's and love the concept, but we also need a "people" mover even going into retirement, maybe even more so as we now have 2 grand children who live 1000 miles away and need an Acadia sized vehicle with all the bells and whistles a person could want.

Now if GM would make an Acadia sized vehicle with a battery and 45 to 50 mile EV range we could easily live with just ONE vehicle.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Looking at the numbers again today, I think there is more than a decent chance Bolt sales break the 2k barrier in April.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Looking at the numbers again today, I think there is more than a decent chance Bolt sales break the 2k barrier in April.
I'm going 1699-1999 April sales...Looking historical states, insideevs PHEV/EV sales tracker does show that historically April has more sales than March and that May has less sales than April...It would appear that word is spreading that it's possible to obtain a Bolt even if you live in a state where it hasn't launched yet...I'd love for someone to do a story about what it takes to "import"/trade a CA Bolt to a not yet launch state yet that could open a can of worms with GM increasing its apparently non-existent enforcement of out of state sales...I'm just curious if GM banned out of state sales, but forgot about dealer to dealer swaps...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts