GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK... So 3M film for my hood and mirrors is $300... I'm not balking at that price, but I have two questions:

1) Has anyone here done their own hood and mirrors with 3M protection film? Was it difficult?

2) Is there such a thing as clear plasti-dip? Has anyone tried that?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've done the 3M protection film on both my Volt and ELR. The process is not actually that difficult and is pretty easy with the right tools. That being said I do have prior experience of applying window tint/wrapping cars myself.

If it is your first time trying it I would buy extra material and expect to mess up.

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
I had mine installed, hood, bumper, gender, mirrors, under hatch on reaer bumper (luggage). Two guys, about 3 hours I think. It does take some skill.

About the claimed discoloration, after 5 years I have seen no discoloration. How many more years until that happens? Of course, you can always have the film removed and a new sheet applied if it ever does.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I had mine installed, hood, bumper, gender, mirrors, under hatch on reaer bumper (luggage). Two guys, about 3 hours I think. It does take some skill.

About the claimed discoloration, after 5 years I have seen no discoloration. How many more years until that happens? Of course, you can always have the film removed and a new sheet applied if it ever does.
Do you park outside or in a garage?

·
Registered
251 Posts
... About the claimed discoloration, after 5 years I have seen no discoloration. How many more years until that happens? ...
I'm picking up my '17 Premier in a few days and am thinking about applying this myself. I had it done to my '05 CTS-V in Feb '05, and there is absolutely zero discoloration after about 11-1/2 years and zero paint chips (though the bra itself has a couple of marks on it).

Is there a kit for the '16/'17 Volt available?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Also wondering if it would interfere with the ACC?

Cheers,
Tross

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
Do you park outside or in a garage?
It sits in a parking lot 10 hours during the day, 5-1/2 days/week. At night and weekends it's mostly in the garage.

Does it need to be stored outside at night to make it yellow? :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Beware leaving the 3M film on too long as it can discolor.
I just apply paint protection and roll with it personally. It's cheaper and looks much better :)
This was true about 15 yrs ago, but is absolutely false right now. Please be careful about spreading false information. Please update your post stating your specific experience of conditions and timing when you experienced the issue so people understand the full picture. Maybe in absolute extreme environments (heat and/or constant dirt/sand) would this possibly happen.

If you maintain it like you would paint (simple wax periodically), you shouldn't see issues for the life of the car.

If it is installed properly you should only be able to tell it is on when right next to the car, even then you have to be at the right angle and lighting. I've had it on both of my STi's and you could barely see it.

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
Also wondering if it would interfere with the ACC?

Cheers,
Tross
It doesn't interfere with my parking assist sensors, but the installer may have simply left it off those bumper "buttons".

·
Registered
501 Posts
Didn't see a reply to the PlastiDip query. I had great results with the 3M material ten years ago, and had my dealer apply a 3M bra on the volt. I was unhappy that it only covered the leading edge of the hood; the earlier kit I used covered the front bumper, grille surround, and rear view mirrors.

Check out this clear PlastiDip bra application. It looks inviting, and would about 1/5 the cost of a 3M kit with similar coverage. Anybody have relevant experience with the durability of PlastiDip?

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
Didn't see a reply to the PlastiDip query. I had great results with the 3M material ten years ago, and had my dealer apply a 3M bra on the volt. I was unhappy that it only covered the leading edge of the hood; the earlier kit I used covered the front bumper, grille surround, and rear view mirrors.
I specified what parts I wanted covered and the installer followed my wishes. Full bumper, 3/4 hood, partial fender, sideview mirror skull caps, door edges, top of rear bumper under the hatch. Changes I would make: full hood, cover leading edge of roof.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I specified what parts I wanted covered and the installer followed my wishes. Full bumper, 3/4 hood, partial fender, sideview mirror skull caps, door edges, top of rear bumper under the hatch. Changes I would make: full hood, cover leading edge of roof.
Still no answer on use of PlastiDip in lieu of 3M bra material. (1) Cosmetics? (2) Effectiveness and Durability?

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
If you want to plastidip, many places are around LA where they'll charge you $500 for the whole thing...Obviously dipping the entire car is greatly adds to the protection since it's not just specific areas...However, if you're just talking about the front where it will be sprayed on just the first say 10" of the hood, It's very hard to match plastidip as you have three factors, color, metallic flake and the level of gloss of the dip won't, with current formulations, be as glossy as a clearcoat even using the "glossifier"...Great thing is it's cheap, easy to apply and comes right off if it's not within your "color match" tolerance...There are multiple brands that will vary in shades and some Volt colors, I'm guessing siren red, probably won't have a good match...

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
Still no answer on use of PlastiDip in lieu of 3M bra material. (1) Cosmetics? (2) Effectiveness and Durability?
3M bra material was developed for the military to protect helicopter blades from grit and wear. My guess, PlastiDip would not be as durable. You can sandblast 3m material. Try the same with plastiDip and see what happens.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Just bought a kit on Amazon for $300. Takes a week to get here, then I'll attempt to install. Will post up my experience for everyone.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I had Xpel clear wrap installed on a Corvette and it came out great. No chips. The stuff is amazing. The installing dealer will do whatever you want. More here, less there, anything.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Got my kit yesterday and installed 75% of it today. Looks good; not perfect.

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
Just bought a kit on Amazon for $300. Takes a week to get here, then I'll attempt to install. Will post up my experience for everyone.
Just for comparison, I paid $500 to have the front bumper, 3/4 hood, 1/4 front fender, the side-view mirror skull caps, all 4 door edges, and the top of the rear bumper.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Just for comparison, I paid $500 to have the front bumper, 3/4 hood, 1/4 front fender, the side-view mirror skull caps, all 4 door edges, and the top of the rear bumper.
Mine included front bumper, about 40% of hood, 1/4 front fenders, side mirrors, four door edges, and four door handle cups. I ended up upgrading to a better product with same company after talking to them.

Steverino, did you install yours?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts