GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is an auction on ebay that i find interesting for those who dont care about warranty on their Volt and want to charge FAST

Eltek are making compact EV charger for the BMW i3 and other company that is also compatibel with the TESLA and probably the Leaf and the Volt too.

I think it would be possible to use the DC-DC converter 400V input as a charging power input for the battery of the Volt. The cable is 10 gauge so it can support 30A witch represdent 3 units of the Eltek charger in parallel and 9kW more charging power

Now what wold be the problem as every great soluti always find a problem... is that we need to know if the Volt battery level is measured with current sense and where they are... and how the Volt MCU would react if the current go in reverse direction on the DC-DC to the battery and if the MCU would simply not count these added Ah and allow or not more kWh In/Out of the battery... and how does it affect the algorythm of the SOC measurement...

Here is that awsome deal for those who want to get a 400V AC-DC 3KW for cheap!

here is his message in teh Auction ( btw he have about 200 brand new units!)

Those in the business are sure to identify the value of these items. These are the branded charger that deliver 3 kilowatt of power to battery that are use in the BMW i3 and now the same brand gone into producing Volvo cars.
There are also many Electric car conversion companies that prototype the better option car using the above.
Now have a chance to own this hard to get product that is not easily available to the market at a fraction of the cost.

Just by typing EV battery charger Eltek valare is range from $2500 USD onward.
The components are all high end and there is also a built in computer that read the battery performance ... these are intelligence charger.

So all that i like to say is that mechanics , researchers , EV hobbyists , technologist or Savvy end consumers, this is a chance to have your hand on a intelligence battery charger to make a statement or make a break through.

You can now take opportunity to acquire it to repair or make new prototype conversion at a trial cost.

For installation and specifications instruction;

Go google and type ; EV360/3000 HE
and you will see the first PDF by evolveelectrics

http://www.advice.co.il/data/files/DS_EV_Powercharger_3k_pdf.pdf
http://www.cafr.ebay.ca/itm/EV-360-3000-HE-ELECTRIC-VEHICLE-BATTERY-CHARGER-BY-Eltek-Valere-/181963226173?hash=item2a5dda7c3d:g:O7EAAOSw7aBVDIOc&vxp=mtr

Doc

·
Registered
13,959 Posts
I'll just recycle an answer for a completely different question from earlier

This just plain isn't going to happen. Snowballs chance...pigs flying...Ellen going straight...Richard Simmons becoming normal...Cubs winning the World Series...not gonna happen.

No way this charger is going to work with the volt battery and not screw something else up.

Let's add: Elemental showing kindness towards women without sex or a sandwich involved in the transaction.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
You are most likely to electrocute yourself and/or the Volt trying to hook that up to it, if you are not an electrical engineer.

·
Registered
509 Posts
The Volt already comes with a 3.3 kW on-board charger (3.6 kW on gen2). Why on earth would anyone try to replace it with this one, which does not speak the same language on the CAN bus to work properly in the car?

This is not an EVSE to supply 240 Volts to your car, like a Clipper creek or a turbocord.

GSP

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Ok. So the 'bid' is $99 plus $180 shipping. And then you have to re-engineer the car to get the exact same charge rate as right now? (The tag on the charger says 14amps max.)

I don't get it.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Too bad these aren't easier to reprogram, I have 2 other "NORMAL" EVs from the pre 2007 era that could use a could programmable charger, preferably at some voltage under 200v.

But in a volt this thing would serve no purpose.

Ah well.

·
Registered
907 Posts
This unit is basically equivalent to the OBCM already in Volt.
In theory, one could parallel this with Volt's OBCM, and charge at 6.3KW, but agree, the possibility of success is slim to none. Volt would most probably detect "something is wrong" and trigger the CEL. With a second parallel control system bypassing Volts current monitoring, the Volt battery would indeed begin to charge at 6.3KW, and might indeed finish almost twice as fast. But to see the battery voltage topping off so fast, the Volt computer may decide the battery lost half it's capacity, and/or there's a major problem.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Theoretically you could gang three of these and put them on the HV bus. In practice, you'll want a canbus monitor to react to the messages the bms sends to the obc, and control the extra chargers appropriately. And there's no guarantee the car won't freak out when it realizes it is getting 10kW instead of 3kW.

Course, if you have the skills for that, why not add a Chademo inlet? A 12 minute charge sounds like fun!

·
Registered
907 Posts
@rob, well, maybe not Chademo, but if if I ever have a Volt off warranty, swap out the L2 inlet for a SAE DCFC inlet. And build a DCFC station for home. I probably wouldn't even go above 3.3KW, but would do it to experiment with V2G.

·
Registered
139 Posts
If one had access to the Volt electronics source code, AND one was willing to rip the car apart to upgrade the a ampacity and mechanicals of every part of the path to the battery, then it might be worth considering. Reminds me of people who have wanted to "upgrade" the video "card" on their laptop, because they've done it in their desktop. In 99% of the cases, because of the design, and the re-engineering costs, it's just never going to happen.

Thus coming from a guy who put a Subaru Engine(and ECU, LOL) in a VW Vanagon. That one is possible, works seemlessly, and looks like it belongs there. But it becomes increasingly difficult to fake the Subie computer inputs after 1995 engines.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Either way, yeah. I suspect Chademo inlets are easier to get, there are lots of crashed Leaf's out there. Not so many Sparks and i3s yet.

·
Registered
464 Posts
If one had access to the Volt electronics source code, AND one was willing to rip the car apart to upgrade the a ampacity and mechanicals of every part of the path to the battery, then it might be worth considering. Reminds me of people who have wanted to "upgrade" the video "card" on their laptop, because they've done it in their desktop. In 99% of the cases, because of the design, and the re-engineering costs, it's just never going to happen.

Thus coming from a guy who put a Subaru Engine(and ECU, LOL) in a VW Vanagon. That one is possible, works seemlessly, and looks like it belongs there. But it becomes increasingly difficult to fake the Subie computer inputs after 1995 engines.
Truly, it doesn't make much sense for a Volt. However, Quickchargepower will add a functional chademo system to a Rav4 EV for about $3k... So... It's definitely possible without access to source code.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Notice there are 0 bids on this so far? With $180 shipping it costs at least $279.00 Two would be required to roughly double the Volt charge rate, plus all the time and material to fit them in a car that they aren't listed as compatible with. Probably cost more of my time than simply waiting for my Volt to charge.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I like the fact that this thread is starting some debate with people that think and people that DONT think it is possible...

What i like is when people DONT think it is possible and that i end out to show it is!... Poeple was 100% sure i could not upgrade my Zero Motorcycle 2012 to the same range of teh 2016 of today... and also to boost power by a factor of 1.75... as well as building FAST charger for it that can charge it in about an hour for 150km range... and have the Motorcycle to take that without a single issue.

BUt Yes some of you are right that is not an easy task for the Volt as it is one of the most complex EV existing.

With my long experience with battery, BMS, thermal management and communication building for EV i'm sure that the volt with the 60kW burst regen and active cooling can take at least 30kW recharge. ( about 2C) or 30 minutes or even 20 minutes for the usable 10.5kWh .. And for those who still think that charging faster mean reducing the battery life, please update your knowledge and listeh this new fantastic article: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxP0Cu00sZs

Yes i have engineering level for battery understanding and i believe that it IS possible with some time to acheive fast charging on a gen 1 Volt. The most complicated part is to make sure all the subsystem of the Volt can take account of that new DC Ah and power input. These charger can talk CANBus no prob so this make the job easyer. The electrical components additions is very simple.. Also with the battery not usable for 0-100%, the usable SOC ( about 20% to 80%) have the lowest internal resistance witch contribute to preserve the 45Ah battery balance state even at high charging power. So the BMS should be able to do the job of keeping cells balanced while cahrging.

Thanks for those thinking it is not possible, I like that =) this is usually my most important motivation.

But it remain that i still have the warranty that i want to preserve.. and on a 40 000$CAD car i can not wear my "I VOID WARRANTY" t-shirt for this time.....

Doc

srmarti, The Seller sold many units, check in his past sales.

·
Registered
13,959 Posts
There is no way you can convert the driver's seat to a power seat in a gen 1.

Gauntlet thrown down....
At least on this power seats, doc just needs to wait for the B2B warranty to expire, not the powertrain warranty. Until someone successfully does this and makes me eat crow, I still stand my by original statement, never gonna happen my friend....like Blackberry, Nokia, and Motorola returning to their prior days of glory atop the smartphone and feature phone markets. Or Sears, Kmart, Marshall Fields, and Montgomery wards returning to their glory atop the retail space. Kodak becoming a viable company selling 35mm film canisters we use to store all sorts of stuff, like pennies for toll booths... IBM selling personal computers. AMD as a formidable threat to a intel. Microsoft as an untouchable leading tech company. Apple computer remaining only a niche player in the tech segment.... I can go on and on.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Me see lots of fancy words and acronyms
Me think... point of diminishing returns
Me think...one mistake and BOOM/Fire
Others, go ahead, have fun but Me no like.
Good Volt, me use like engineers designed, Good Volt
(grin)

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
At least on this power seats, doc just needs to wait for the B2B warranty to expire, not the powertrain warranty. Until someone successfully does this and makes me eat crow, I still stand my by original statement, never gonna happen my friend....like Blackberry, Nokia, and Motorola returning to their prior days of glory atop the smartphone and feature phone markets. Or Sears, Kmart, Marshall Fields, and Montgomery wards returning to their glory atop the retail space. Kodak becoming a viable company selling 35mm film canisters we use to store all sorts of stuff, like pennies for toll booths... IBM selling personal computers. AMD as a formidable threat to a intel. Microsoft as an untouchable leading tech company. Apple computer remaining only a niche player in the tech segment.... I can go on and on.
That would be 2 gauntlets thrown down.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts