GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title pretty much says it all. I've had my '16 for 16 months and almost 40k miles. I have a long 57 mile one way commute and can slow charge at work. I'm sitting at about 73% lifetime on electric. It finally started screaming at me about changing it when the oil quality hit 5% last week so I changed the oil this past weekend. That was about the most painless oil change I've ever done on a vehicle. Didn't spill a drop from the drain or the filter. Nice design Chevy. I also rotated the tires and just gave everything under the car and hood a good once over, as I have a 700 mile road trip coming up this weekend. Everything looks great. Man I love this car.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I know, right!?

Glad you are enjoying the car!

·
Registered
141 Posts
It finally started screaming at me about changing it when the oil quality hit 5% last week so I changed the oil this past weekend. That was about the most painless oil change I've ever done on a vehicle. Didn't spill a drop from the drain or the filter.
My dealer gave me 2 free oil changes. I normally do my own, but I'm going to let the dealer do those 2 (I just had #1 done), then I'll learn how easy the Volt oil change is!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought about the 2-year "free maintenance" I supposedly got when I bought the car, but logistically I didn't feel like having the conversation. It was supposed to be 2 years or 24k miles. I'm under the 2 years, but way over the mileage. Plus, I bought the car 2+ hours away in NJ and I live in PA, so going back to the original dealer was a no go. I could have walked into my local dealer and asked, but that would have really been more of a hassle time wise than ordering the oil/filter from amazon and spending 10 mins under the car.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
My dealer gave me 2 free oil changes. I normally do my own, but I'm going to let the dealer do those 2 (I just had #1 done), then I'll learn how easy the Volt oil change is!
I did the same thing, but just one dealer oil change. Then, I did oil change number 2 myself and it was very difficult to get the filter loose. I'm not sure whether or not the mechanic lubed the seal before screwing on the filter, but it was welded to the engine block. It took me a very long time, with the metal can twisting from the torque that I was applying, before it finally started to come loose. I'm at 62% life left and I am wondering how things will go when I do the third oil change - which will not occur for another year.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ugh.....that sucks. I had that happen one time on our Grand Cherokee. It was due up for state inspection in the dead of winter so I asked them to change the oil while it was in the shop. Next time I did it myself and I literally destroyed the oil filter trying to remove it. I had to cut away what I could until I could get a large pair of vice grips on the threaded portion in the middle and crank it off. Needless to say, I was pissed. Nothing you can do about it though......besides do it your damn self next time. Can't trust anyone to do quality work anymore.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I did the same thing, but just one dealer oil change. Then, I did oil change number 2 myself and it was very difficult to get the filter loose. I'm not sure whether or not the mechanic lubed the seal before screwing on the filter, but it was welded to the engine block. It took me a very long time, with the metal can twisting from the torque that I was applying, before it finally started to come loose. I'm at 62% life left and I am wondering how things will go when I do the third oil change - which will not occur for another year.
All the more reason to just let the dealer do it. For 30 bucks and a half hour of time, why crawl under the car, get dirty, and then have to dispose of the used oil. When I was younger and money was tight, sure I did all kinds of maintenance myself. But if you can afford a Volt, you can afford to let someone else do the dirty work.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
All the more reason to just let the dealer do it. For 30 bucks and a half hour of time, why crawl under the car, get dirty, and then have to dispose of the used oil. When I was younger and money was tight, sure I did all kinds of maintenance myself. But if you can afford a Volt, you can afford to let someone else do the dirty work.
Yes, I agree with you that now I can afford someone else to do the dirty work. But, I get satisfaction from doing so...just as I get satisfaction from doing my own driving, even though I could Uber around town.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm like Jbaker, I'm 60 but normally still do my own oil changes. I've heard of too many screw ups at garages. Years ago I had a girlfriend who called me. She said "Thanks for telling me the oil light was important". She had gotten a Quicky oil change and a week later her light came on. She pulled right over and found out the oil filter had unscrewed and fell off. Oil pumped out and the light came on. I told her she had saved her Isuzu Trooper engine!

I am taking advantage of the 2 freebee oil changes, but after I plan on doing them myself.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Title pretty much says it all. I've had my '16 for 16 months and almost 40k miles. I have a long 57 mile one way commute and can slow charge at work. I'm sitting at about 73% lifetime on electric. It finally started screaming at me about changing it when the oil quality hit 5% last week so I changed the oil this past weekend. That was about the most painless oil change I've ever done on a vehicle. Didn't spill a drop from the drain or the filter. Nice design Chevy. I also rotated the tires and just gave everything under the car and hood a good once over, as I have a 700 mile road trip coming up this weekend. Everything looks great. Man I love this car.
Well that is about 10k on the engine oil. 10k is a very good number of miles for a change with the GM OLM system. When originally implemented we put in a 1 year cap for safety sake. I see by my 2018 Volt owners manual that time limit has now been raised to 2 years.

·
Administrator
20,183 Posts
I see by my 2018 Volt owners manual that time limit has now been raised to 2 years.
It's been the oil indicator or 2 years, whichever comes first since the Volt started production in December 2010. For my 2011 Volt, 2 years always comes first for me.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
I see by my 2018 Volt owners manual that time limit has now been raised to 2 years.
*blink* When was it less? Mine's "brokenness" is that the meter doesn't also track the two years. 18 months still showed 91% on the meter.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Evidently per this article the Volt (link below) has had it since it first came out. The article is wrong though in stating that the EOLM has been on most GM cars in the last 8-10 years. The GM EOLM came out in 1986 (24 years by this 2010 article) on Cadillac's, Chev Corvette and some Buick's. Within a few short years it was on most GM cars as engine and body computers had greater capacity. The original one year life was not based on oil life. The EOLM can calculate that with great precision. Some things can not be factored in though. Minor air leaks that might let dusty air bypass the air cleaner was a concern. Moisture and gasoline build up in crankcase from short trips and never getting crankcase hot. The unknown 'wild cards' were the real reason for keeping one year. I see in my wife's 2014 Traverse owners manual it still list one year as the maximum. For what ever reason 'the new GM' is not being consistent across vehicle lines. More of a marketing issue then any real engineering heart burn.

https://www.autoblog.com/2010/11/10/chevy-volts-oil-change-interval-maxes-out-at-2-years/

·
Registered
36 Posts
I thought about the 2-year "free maintenance" I supposedly got when I bought the car, but logistically I didn't feel like having the conversation. It was supposed to be 2 years or 24k miles. I'm under the 2 years, but way over the mileage. Plus, I bought the car 2+ hours away in NJ and I live in PA, so going back to the original dealer was a no go. I could have walked into my local dealer and asked, but that would have really been more of a hassle time wise than ordering the oil/filter from amazon and spending 10 mins under the car.
Good thinking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts