GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, I've had a lot of conversations that go like this...

Them: "Wow. So how many miles do you get?"
Me: "35 miles to the charge. Approximately."
Them: "Yeah, but how many miles can you get out of a charge?"
Me: "About 35. Probably better when it gets warmer."
Them: "What? That's it?!"

Am I "selling" people on this car wrong? What about you guys? Any similar experiences?

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Per charge 35 is at or just below EPA..

By when selling people better to put in context of a week or month or longer
e.g.

A charge gets to to work and back with room to spare so I only use gas on longer weekend trips. My last fill up of 8 gallons, lasted 4200 miles.. I put on 13000 miles over the past year, with an average fuel cost of .025 a mile, which is about 160 miles for $4.00

Or my weekly comute used to cost me ?? in gas.. now it costs me YY in eletricity (fill in your data).

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I just tell them that over 21,000 miles I'm getting 250 miles per gallon of gas and electricity costs me about $1.00 per gallon.

·
Administrator
21,038 Posts
Them: "What? That's it?!"

Yup, that's it.

Oh, and the $2100 I saved in gas last year.

BTW, I get 45-52 miles from the battery during the warmer months—about 9 months of the year.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I tell people what's true for me. I get right around 40 miles per charge, which represents about $1 worth of electricity, and since the Volt has an on-board gasoline powered generator, I can go another 300 or so miles on a tank of gas. So the range of the car is better than most gasoline cars per tank, the overall gas mileage is over 40MPG, and for short trips it uses no gasoline at all.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
how many miles do they think they drive in a day? my car is driven 7 days a week to work and back, it has 9,300 miles on it since last march and has used 3.6 gallons of gas..... my experience is people don't drive as far as they think they do on a day to day basis. i tell them that comes out to 2,583.3 mpg...... then they start listening......

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Try to remember that there's a lot of misunderstanding and miscalculation. I'd think the key talking points would be:
- 35 miles electric on average (2013 38)
- Then it runs on gasoline. Rated 40 on the highway (which where most gas miles are done) and 35 in the city which is better than normal cars.
- But you wake up every morning with 35 electric miles (and if you can charge at work you can add that) so you can end up using hardly any gasoline. Eg if you drive 35 miles 6 days per week, 50 weeks per year that's 10500 miles per year on electric.
- Plus exfra charging on weekends gives you more. Public charging can give you more. Charging at friends can give you more.
- It's enjoyable to drive; there's no compromise on power like other hybrids.

·
4,879 Posts
Some also don't understand the car goes much further using gas. It's important to show them what effective MPG they can get with 35 miles electric range and has after, since so many people drive less than 35 miles on a normal day.

Even 70 miles daily driving equates to 80MPG on a single charge.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I tell the truth as I see it.
"There's bad news and good news. First, the bad, batteries suck for storing energy. I think of the battery as a one gallon gas tank that that weighs 450lbs and costs 10000 bucks. The old joke: cheap, powerful, reliable, pick any two, applies in spades to batteries. The good news is that electricity is really cheap and electric motors are wonderful. The volt is a really great car and enough direct and indirect subsidies are around that's its reasonably sensible to buy one. Especially if you can flex your driving routine around the electric range limitations. If you can't or won't you'd be better off with a hybrid or diesel."

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
That response is typical of what I get even in the summer when I average 50 miles. I think it's defensive. The Volt identifies you as a tree hugger (sorta like a Prius) and they reflexively go to a point in favor of the F250 King Ranch they use to get groceries....100 gallon diesel bed tank....big, big range, you know! No need to plug this baby in, as they slap the rich leather seat with the King Ranch Logo. You only got a $7500 credit, I wrote off $25,000 with a section 179 with this puppy! He roars off in a cloud of cigar smoke.

I hope a polar bear looking for a new home moves into his swimming pool!

·
4,879 Posts
That response is typical of what I get even in the summer when I average 50 miles. I think it's defensive. The Volt identifies you as a tree hugger (sorta like a Prius) and they reflexively go to a point in favor of the F250 King Ranch they use to get groceries....100 gallon diesel bed tank....big, big range, you know! No need to plug this baby in, as they slap the rich leather seat with the King Ranch Logo. You only got a $7500 credit, I wrote off $25,000 with a section 179 with this puppy! He roars off in a cloud of cigar smoke.

Hmmmm so this is the guy with that expensive gas guzzling truck? Looks like a polar bear did take you up on your offer to move into his swimming pool. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxoTCoqvXVQ&sns=em

·
Administrator
21,038 Posts
I tell the truth as I see it.
"There's bad news and good news. First, the bad, batteries suck for storing energy. I think of the battery as a one gallon gas tank that that weighs 450lbs and costs 10000 bucks. The old joke: cheap, powerful, reliable, pick any two, applies in spades to batteries.
Unfortunately people don't realize that a gas engine wastes 75% of it's $3.50 gallon as heat, while the Volt wastes only about 10% of its $1.50 gallon. So a Volt can travel 35-50 miles for $1.50, while a gas car would cost in the range of $3.50-$7 to go the same distance.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I tell people that I go about 40 miles per day on electricity which handles about 75% of my total driving needs. And it only costs me about 65 cents to go that 40 miles.

The other 25% of my driving needs are run on gasoline at about 38mpg. At over $4. per gallon.

My lifetime MPG is typically over 120 MPG.

I save about $150 per month on gasoline compared to a car that gets 30mpg.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Just say "it covers [X ] % of my daily driving electric, which is far cheaper than gas... the other [Y]% I do at about 37 mpg."

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Unfortunately people don't realize that a gas engine wastes 75% of it's $3.50 gallon as heat, while the Volt wastes only about 10% of its $1.50 gallon. So a Volt can travel 35-50 miles for $1.50, while a gas car would cost in the range of $3.50-$7 to go the same distance.
Right now the volt is going 30 miles on $0.95.
Don't think ice efficiency is that bad these days. Anybody got a bsfc # for a current auto engine?

·
Registered
86 Posts
7000kms on 120litre has more impact~no maintainence with30,000kms on the clock better than any car i have owned before.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Right now the volt is going 30 miles on $0.95.
Don't think ice efficiency is that bad these days. Anybody got a bsfc # for a current auto engine?
um, it's a simple matter of which car you are comparing: look at mpg, and the price of gas per gallon.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I tell people that the last time I filled up was in early July and had an almost full tank till I took a 340 mile trip on 12/14/12 and now I a little over 2 gallons left

·
Registered
1,131 Posts

I resemble that remark.

I have a 35000 series dually Dodge diesel with a 35 gallon tank plus a 90 gallon bed tank that gets 12 to 14 MPG.

The truck sits in the driveway most of the year but I do need it to haul my 28 foot travel trailer / camper. The last time I tried to drive 1600 miles from SC to NY and back it was a disaster. My health requires me to take frequent rests and nap breaks whish gets expensive paying a motel for a full night if you only need a 2 to 3 hour nap. In NY I had trouble finding a motel that would allow dogs, one motel wanted $140 plus $100 extra for each dog. The last reasonably clean motel inexpensive motel I stayed at for a 3 hour nap I woke up to see cockroaches walking on the wall, thank God I didn't wind up with bed bugs. For someone like me that loves to travel and has to take naps a camper allows me to stop at a rest stop microwave dinner, take a bath and watch satellite TV. And best of all sleep in my own bed with clean sheets

1 - 20 of 35 Posts