GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
A backhanded compliment is still a compliment. :D

Perfect conditions in California? Really? I have a hunch they have not seen what the Bolt is capable of yet, especially in flat states.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
300 is a cool milestone to achieve and congrats...But this is why we have the EPA test and why includes A/C use and higher speeds, that's the way the overwhelming majority of people drive...All in all it's about a 20% improvement...In many ICE vehicles, keep the AC off, never press the accelerator beyond 10% and don't speed you can also get a 20% improvement over the EPA...

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
A backhanded compliment is still a compliment. :D

Perfect conditions in California? Really? I have a hunch they have not seen what the Bolt is capable of yet, especially in flat states.
They always do that, often they're more like a direct insult sprinkled a compliment...

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
How you drive any EV or ICE vehicle determines it's economy.

So we know tragically poor economy can be had. That's a given.

But if you really must extend your range, how far can you go? I don't expect folk to plan on 300 mile trips, but to know you can limp 100mi on 20 kWh could be important.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
I'm glad it wasn't 60 PSI and a roundabout LMAO
It was tested in "Perfect Weather". Anyone from California will find that funny when considering this winter.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
It was only a matter of time before the 300 mi. barrier would be broken, given G.M.'s very conservative ratings. A hypermiler will probably attain 350 mi. in flat, easy driving. I would bet, however, that the highway speeds for this account never exceeded 55 mph. My Volt can attain 5 mi./kWh with ease in city and non-freeway suburban driving, but never when 60+ mph freeway speeds are part of the distance recorded.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
How you drive any EV or ICE vehicle determines it's economy.

So we know tragically poor economy can be had. That's a given.

But if you really must extend your range, how far can you go? I don't expect folk to plan on 300 mile trips, but to know you can limp 100mi on 20 kWh could be important.
The difference is that with EV's and hybrids, the efficiency gain is so much more from using hypermiling techniques than in an ICE.

In my ICE's I was never able to improve efficiency by more than 1 or 2 MPG no matter how much I tried....

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
According to the article, a Model S with a 85 kWh battery reached 550 miles by hypermiling. At the same rate (over 6.4 miles per kWh) the Bolt EV shoudl reach 388 miles. A good hypermiler can get over 6.7 miles per kWh and reach the 400 mile goal to become the BEV champion for under half the cost of the Model S.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Going from gas to electric is like going from propeller to jet..
Yet we still have propeller planes for short trips, so we will have some gas cars for a long, long time!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The difference is that with EV's and hybrids, the efficiency gain is so much more from using hypermiling techniques than in an ICE.

In my ICE's I was never able to improve efficiency by more than 1 or 2 MPG no matter how much I tried....
My personal best record with the Chevy Cruze for the 25-mile moving average was 95 mpg, and my personal best record for the 500-mile moving average was 58.5 mpg. The EPA rated it between 19-39 mpg depending on your driving profile and where you're driving The 500-mile 58.5 mpg was when our family went on long trip in a convoy and am following the family RV at 50-55 mph all the way to Oregon.

Well you know how I attained the 95 mpg? It's that downhill section from the Tejon Pass Summit into past Bakersfield!

With the Volt, I get about 100+ mpg CS mode.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Good things not possible from GM

Congratulations! It is just typical driving, not trying to hypermile and included 100 miles of freeway driving.

https://electrek.co/2017/02/17/chevy-bolt-ev-300-miles-range/
Some of the comments on Electeck indicate the tesla fanbois are in the corner sulking - it is impossible that GM can do something good........much less equal to or better than Tesla.

Kudos to GM

Let us all be happy that GM and Tesla and others are proceeding.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Some of the comments on Electeck indicate the tesla fanbois are in the corner sulking - it is impossible that GM can do something good........much less equal to or better than Tesla.

Kudos to GM

Let us all be happy that GM and Tesla and others are proceeding.
This. We have a Smart ED which is the wife's car and she absolutely loves it, will never go back to gas. I like it alot also as it is very fun to drive.

I just ordered a 2017 Volt after dealership let me take it for 24 hrs to see if I like it and I LOVED it. Walked in to get prices and timing on the Bolt and ended up with the Volt instead (lol) as it will fit perfectly for us to go with the Smart.

I'm bridging the gap as I have reserved a Tesla Model 3.

So, in conclusion, I really don't care what brand of EV that I drive. If I like the car, I'm going to get it and I am glad that I am sort of spreading my love around.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
If they rated it as conservatively as a volt, this is not even into hypermiling territory yet.

I have personally driven 80km on a charge without doing anything special, just feathering pedal to coast as required and it wasn't really hot so no AC. Just windows.
Approx 30% more than the rated "61km".

"238mi" * 1.3 = 309mi

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
It was tested in "Perfect Weather". Anyone from California will find that funny when considering this winter.
Yeah. I find electrek's biases downright insulting. These guys are something else.

Here is something to consider. The first generation Volt when driven in average conditions will get about 40 miles on a charge. Gentle daily driving will net 50 miles. Efficient driving will net 60 miles. Hypermiling will net 70-80 miles. The Bolt EV has six times the first generation Volt's battery capacity.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
When Ari finally gets to take one around the stadium, he's gonna need to bring snacks. It's probably gonna be a 30 hour trip.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
When Ari finally gets to take one around the stadium, he's gonna need to bring snacks. It's probably gonna be a 30 hour trip.
He would need a wide mouth gatorade bottle (or some depends) to drive as long as it would take for him to run the batter flat :)

Keith

1 - 18 of 18 Posts