GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, just got a 2015 Volt with 33k miles on it. The 3y/33k bumper to bumper warranty is almost up, any tips on how to take advantage of that?

There isn't really anything wrong with the car, but I was wondering if there were any services this provided to take advantage of the warranty before it's gone. Thanks!

·
Administrator
20,198 Posts
Er, make sure everything covered is working, if not have it fixed under warranty.

Everything's fine? Great, nothing to do.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Start setting aside the money for a replacement car. When something goes wrong with your Volt you'll then have a pile of cash to pay for the repair. This is true for any car.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
If nothing is wrong, then there is noting to do. But to check for problems, try doing an OBDII scan for stored trouble codes. Also test the electric cabin heating function to be sure it is working well. That can be missed if you haven't owned it during really cold weather yet. Have you used the evse? Tried out all the features even if they are of little interest to you, like playing a CD, etc? Hopefully you have done plenty of driving both in electric mode and gas mode.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I would find a GM dealer that sells the GM extended warranty at a discount. I've done this with Toyotas and saved thousands. You can get the GM extended warranty at any time before your factory 3/36 runs out.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I would find a GM dealer that sells the GM extended warranty at a discount. I've done this with Toyotas and saved thousands.
Saved thousands on the price of the extended warranties . . . . or were you unlucky enough to be one of the few who got a Toyota lemon and actually used the warranty to fix something???

Overall, at least 90% of the money spent on extended warranties does the person who bought them no good - Better advice is to check to see what the overall price of the warranty will end up being and set aside $50 per month until you have that amount saved up . . . . for repairs you will probably never need - Then the 90% you would have lost will be yours!

Don

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Saved thousands on the price of the extended warranties . . . . or were you unlucky enough to be one of the few who got a Toyota lemon and actually used the warranty to fix something???
Not exactly, Don. When I bought my 2008 Toyota RAV4, the dealership tried to get me to buy the Toyota VSA extended warranty to the tune of $1600. I passed. Later, I found several Toyota/Lexus dealers in places like Kansas, Massachusetts, and Michigan that sold the same Toyota VSA at a huge discount. Right before my 3/36 warranty was about to expire, I bought the 8 year/75,000 mile Toyota VSA from the Kansas dealer for $659. After the powertrain warranty expired, the water pump got very noisy. That was replaced for free under the VSA. Without it, the cost would have been $483.90. About a year later, the steering got a clunk. The intermediate steering shaft had to be replaced--again free under the VSA. I would have had to pay the dealer $409.85 without the VSA. So in my case, the warranty more than paid for itself. I'm just glad I didn't pay the $1600! So, is the RAV4 a lemon? No, it's been extremely reliable. We just got back from a trip to DisneyWorld, 1374 miles, without a hiccup.

Edit: Oh, when my daughter bought her 2014 Camry, we got her a Toyota VSA for $735.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I'm at 120K miles on my 2014 and have't have any issues other than the axel nut needing to be torqued. Talked about the extended warranty, but never got it. The expensive Voltec stuff is covered until 100K anyway.

·
Registered
37 Posts
What have others been offered (or bought) an extended for? My dealer offered an B2B warranty extention to 8yrs/100k on my 2018 LT for about $3k. His argument was that there are some 7 computers (with their associated pwbs) in the car. I might have considered it if it were cheaper because the rarity of this car made me think there'd be a lot of shotgunning when something breaks down. But, I thought that was a little steep.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Hasn't the 3 years already expired on a 2015? Or was it a 2015 purchased very very late, like in the 2016 model year?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Is the heater/seats warming up ok? Is the radio resetting itself once in a while or has trouble connecting to your phone? any squeaks, rattles (especially around the rear suspension? Clicking noises around the front wheels when doing tight turns or U-turns? Any lights on the dash? All door sensors working ok? Skillsaw like sounds around the front wheel bearings?

Some of these I have had repaired under warranty, others are common problems with the car.

When I had my 2005 GTO and a few months before the warranty expired, I took it to a shop that specialized in LS performance vehicles to put it on the lift and give it a good checkup and he found a few leaks which then were fixed under warranty. They didn't even wanted to charge me so I gave the tech a $20 tip.

For my wife's Fiat 500C, I took it to a shop that specializes in VW, BMW (lower tier Eurpean cars) and they did a good inspection (I explained that the warranty was about to expire), and found a bunch of leaks and a bad rear wheel bearing. I took the inspection report to the dealer and all was fixed under warranty. About $100 well spent.

Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts