GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Who cares?

Hell will freeze over and the devils will ice skate before I buy a BMW.

·
8,680 Posts
So many things they didn't tell us (yet.)

I guess this mostly competes with the Audi A3 Etron - which gets 1.5 l/100km NEDC vs the press release 2.1 - two thirds the consumption. Of course, the Audi is a little smaller (and FWD, if it matters) and has a 204 horsepower rating vs the 250 from BMW.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I'll bet that 22 miles drops to 17 here in the U.S. Still, it looks to be a sweet ride, but, man the dang lead times on announcements these days are a bummer.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Looks nice, but the main reason I like the Volt is how much power the electric motor provides. I would rather have the primary motor the electric motor. All the new plug-ins are nice, but I have a feeling that the new Volt will be a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I was up in Monterey this last August for a BMW national car rally (I have a '16 228i ragtop) and test drove a 330e they had for demo rides at Laguna Seca. No, one couldn't drive the 330e on the race track. I took it out of the race track and drove some back country roads around there.

I drove the 330e in electric mode only until I'd drained the battery and the ICE kicked in. I have to say the build quality and handling are first rate and far superior to our '17 Volt. It was also quiet as a tomb in the cabin both in EV and ICE modes. Yes, the range doesn't match the Gen2 Volt by a long shot. I imagine that BMW will be working on that though and as the range increases, the 330e will become a real competitor to the Volt. Not from a price point of course. But then the Gen2 Volt doesn't drive like a BMW either.

It's encouraging to see the competition heating up in this sphere. We all will benefit from it.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
I was up in Monterey this last August for a BMW national car rally (I have a '16 228i ragtop) and test drove a 330e they had for demo rides at Laguna Seca. No, one couldn't drive the 330e on the race track. I took it out of the race track and drove some back country roads around there.

I drove the 330e in electric mode only until I'd drained the battery and the ICE kicked in. I have to say the build quality and handling are first rate and far superior to our '17 Volt. It was also quiet as a tomb in the cabin both in EV and ICE modes. Yes, the range doesn't match the Gen2 Volt by a long shot. I imagine that BMW will be working on that though and as the range increases, the 330e will become a real competitor to the Volt. Not from a price point of course. But then the Gen2 Volt doesn't drive like a BMW either.

It's encouraging to see the competition heating up in this sphere. We all will benefit from it.
0-14 miles EV range? 31 mpg in gas mode? Really? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=38081&id=37309

The EPA doesn't seem to think they are similar. The 330e runs on premium and only has partial acceleration in EV mode. It barely gets better mileage than my old Vette, which gets nearly 30mpg at 70mph on a 500 mile round trip.

It is an upscale Prius Prime, not a upscale Volt. The Volt has full power in EV mode, long range in EV mode, runs on regular, and does not take 10 seconds to haul it's fanny up to 60.

Understand that the 330e has roughly 1/2 the EV hp as the Volt and weighs over 400lb more.

While the green image might be there for the 330e, the specifications are not. It's an ICE modified to get some ZEV credits, like the Prius Plug In. The way I drive, I'd just get the 330i. I'd be burning gas all the time anyhow in the 330e.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I'd be getting the 340i and have some fun with the xDrive model up here in the land of the North... The EV model just isn't there. Careful with those "Regular vs. premium" comments. Older Volts, like the one I had, required premium.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
I'd be getting the 340i and have some fun with the xDrive model up here in the land of the North... The EV model just isn't there. Careful with those "Regular vs. premium" comments. Older Volts, like the one I had, required premium.
Yes. It was something that we Gen1 owners were puzzled by. The engine should not have needed premium based on it's specifications. Some folk run regular or midgrade gas in their G1's, but we don't since we do not know why GM specified 91.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts