GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd read all the links about how 3 Phase (208V) won't work in charging my Volt. That said, is anyone aware of any charging stations that will accept 3 Phase power and convert it to acceptable power for my Volt So far, no luck.

·
8,680 Posts
I'd read all the links about how 3 Phase (208V) won't work in charging my Volt. That said, is anyone aware of any charging stations that will accept 3 Phase power and convert it to acceptable power for my Volt So far, no luck.
The car's J1772 connector only allows two power wires, and actually converting three phase into single phase is pretty hard - actually I think it can only be done by way of DC with a rectifier and inverter or by a motor-generator set.

However, most EVSEs that you find around commercial properties are actually based on their three phase feed - connecting two of the phases gives 208V, which most EVSEs and cars will happily accept (of course, it creates a long term load that's not balanced and depending on what else is going on may be large relative to the other loads, which isn't desirable.)

·
4,881 Posts
From a commercial standpoint, there are several chargers that take in one phase of 208V 3-phase and provide that power to an EV. ChargePoint etc. all have these kinds of stations available for business owners.

Example: https://www.chargepoint.com/files/CT4000_Install_Guide.pdf

I don't see why any station couldn't do this with any charger. You're just connecting up a 208V phase instead of 240V. The Volt would get 208V so the car would charge a bit slower. If an EVSE can handle 240V, it shouldn't explode with 208V, the frequency etc. all otherwise remain the same.

The links you read are probably correct in that the Volt doesn't take in 3 phases. But a single phase at 208V works just fine.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Clipper Creek makes some three-phase EVSEs. They're "call for quote" only, but they exist. https://www.clippercreek.com/3-phase/

·
Registered
541 Posts

What are you actually trying to achieve? 208V is normally derived from 2 legs of a 3-phase supply. That will charge your volt without issue. So, if you have 3-phase 120/208V power available, the electrician would just pick two of the three hot legs to connect to the EVSE.

If you're really talking about 3-Phase 277/480V power, than that's not usable.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Since J1772 has a 208V single phase charging level I am assuming you are wanting more power. You could try researching buck-boost transformers and find yourself a competent EE or electrician.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
You can charge with 208V outlet as long as it has a standard NEMA outlet.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
The car's J1772 connector only allows two power wires, and actually converting three phase into single phase is pretty hard - actually I think it can only be done by way of DC with a rectifier and inverter or by a motor-generator set.

However, most EVSEs that you find around commercial properties are actually based on their three phase feed - connecting two of the phases gives 208V, which most EVSEs and cars will happily accept (of course, it creates a long term load that's not balanced and depending on what else is going on may be large relative to the other loads, which isn't desirable.)
You are correct. Though note the balance issue is only true if the third phase has little to no load. On a commercial property as long as the three busses from the main feeds have loads that are somewhat even there won't be issues with a car charging off two of the phases.

So any properly wired setup won't have an issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the follow-up. I didn't understand your original load comment and was going to talk to the electrician about it. But your comment clarifies things a bit. We are pulling the power from a large transformer powering our Sports Center so I expect the load to be pretty balanced. Thanks again!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.