GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been driving my 2014 Chevy Volt now since early June, and I am more than happy with this car. Here's a few key points:

- Outstanding value. I'm at 3300 Kilometers so far and used less than $50 of gas. The only reason I need gas were 2 long trips, and I still have half a tank left.

- Crazy fun. The torque at 0 RPM is amazing. In sport mode I easily get to exactly where I want to be when launching from a red light. I also easily beat all other V6's. I even beat a V8 Camaro in a short race. In city traffic, the Volt is perfect.

- Crazier fun: Going where I need to go and driving passed the gas stations without caring what the prices are feels fantastic.

- The build quality is so far, perfect. Super quiet inside and out. The finishing is perfect.

- The premium sound system is worth the extra price. If you're shopping for a Volt and reading this, be sure to order premium sound. In all of my previous cars I have paid thousands to get good loud sound and good sub woofers. The Volt's premium sound system is excellent, and is somehow more efficient too.

- Charging is a comfortable 3.5 hours on 220 Volts, using a Turbocord. Works perfectly.

Driving Modes:

"Normal"
Normal driving mode is great for everyday casual driving. It's efficient as you would expect, though I wish it could be tweaked a little.

"Sport"
Sport mode is very, very fun. I find myself switching out of Normal and into Sport when I am in a hurry, or when I want to get in front of traffic in a hurry from a red light, or especially when I just want to let 'er rip. I would love to see a push button / paddle / switch between Normal and Sport instead of the current way to switch because its a little too slow.

"Mountain Mode"
Mountain Mode revs the gas engine higher to charge the battery while you drive. It works perfectly but I wish it could be tweaked a little. The engine revs pretty fast, even while on the highway, to charge the batteries. I know this is inefficient but would like to know how inefficient it is. For some reason though you can't switch from Mountain Model to Hold Mode.

"Hold Mode"
If you take long trips and know you will be hitting steep hills, and / or if you want to drive on electrons when you get to closer to your destination, using the Hold mode will hold the charge of the battery and use gas to propel the car. This mode works perfectly too and in my opinion is more efficient than Mountain Mode.

One feature I didn't know about is that you can switch to Sport Mode, after you have been driving in Normal mode and have run out of electricity. I would have guessed that sport mode would not work or be disabled without the battery, but I guess I was wrong.

Anyway, I am loving the Volt and highly recommend it. My first post here on GM-Volt explained how I sold my 2013 2SS RS 1LE Camaro to buy the Volt. 3 Months later, I am THRILLED at my decision. I do not miss the Camaro at all.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I have my Volt since 12 juin 2014 and I love it ! My experience is almost as yours. The Volt is a great car to drive and own and lets hope we'll enjoy it many years from now. Great input !

·
Registered
387 Posts
The description of hold mode and driving in sport with a depleted battery isn't quite right. Hold mode should be considered a charge sustaining mode which just runs to engine to keep the battery at a certain level of charge. When the battery is depleted it really isn't - there's still 20-30% charge left in the batter (I'm sure someone will post a more exact number) and it just charge sustains the battery to that level. Sport mode is just a remapping of the accelerator so pressing about halfway down is like flooring it. If you floor it in Normal, it should perform the same. In sport mode it is harder to get smooth slow starts, but it is possible with careful feathering of the accelerator. It's all just software settings giving you different vehicular dynamics.

·
2,362 Posts
Have you tried driving in Low instead of Drive? It changes the settings for regenerative braking to give you more regen when you lift off the accelerator. It gives a more dynamic feel like Sport mode does.

·
Registered
45 Posts
At the expense of range...
Theorically, but my best electric trip (94.5km, driver only) was done in L with 100 pounds of tools in the trunk. I never was able to reproduce it in D or L. The closest I made was 90km (in L, two people onboard), and 88km (two people onboard) which I did today driving in L. But I am using cruise control a lot.

Forgot, I already have 11,000km after 4 months and 68% electric drive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.