GM Volt Forum banner

$3 Billion EV rebate bill goes to CA Legislature...

Tags
rebates
4K views 46 replies 11 participants last post by  michaellax 
#1 ·
http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-ev-rebate-status-20170901-story.html

"The bill directs the state Air Resources Board to devise a formula for car rebates. A single rebate amount would be set that would account for the difference in price between a compact electric car and a traditionally powered compact car, according to the bill.

Sponsor Phil Ting (D-San Francisco) has suggested a Chevy Bolt EV could be compared against the best-selling compact in California, which right now is the Honda Civic. That could mean a rebate of $8,000 to $10,000 or more."

#5 ·
Given California's dismal fiscal situation I'm surprised they're even thinking about this.

#7 · (Edited)
It is just business as usual for one of the largest state governments...:)

The latest budget proposal from California Governor Jerry Brown does not account for possible changes to federal health care funding.

Brown says that’s because it’s impossible to tell whether a replacement by Republicans in Washington will become law and—if it does—how it will differ from the bill that passed Congress.

The measure would roll back an expansion of Medi-Cal. Brown says the state would either have to drop coverage for millions or pay an amount roughly equal to the entire cost of the University of California system.

"That kind of money would defund the university if you did it all from one source, so the only answer is to fight," he says. "We gotta stop it."

A chart behind Brown at his budget announcement calculated the state would lose more than $5 billion of federal funds in 2019 and almost $25 billion within a decade.

http://www.capradio.org/articles/2017/05/11/live-blog-brown-to-release-updated-spending-plan/

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...p-slightly-reinstates-some-cuts-idUSKBN18715V

Then there is the K-12 school budgets issues...
http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/07/...s-in-looming-california-school-budget-crisis/

#21 ·
What is amazing to me is the deficit is because the state Republicans were so adamantly opposed to any tax increases. So when we hear about balanced budgets by Republicans at the federal level we know it as much BS at the state level as the federal level.

Me, I'm moving to Nevada. They don't have any EV rebates but then they don't have any state income taxes either. And the sales tax on my M3, when it shows up, will be less than it would be in California, less enough to make up for about a third of the CA rebate.

And after living in CA for the past 27 years and watching the state not give a tinkers damn about its infrastructure I'll bad mouth them all I want.

#25 · (Edited)
What's your point?

Cap and Trade revenues are not general revenues for expenditures to plug deficits.

Plus you are referring to a BUDGET with a deficit, which will be dealt with in different manners to plug that deficit, including savings from past years -- Governor Brown specifically provided that surpluses would go into a fund for the bad years!

Move along! Nothing of interest here!

You drive a Chevy Volt - a car that would have NEVER existed if not for the California Air Resources Board!

#29 ·
I still have NO idea what you are talking about!

The University of California receives 10 applicants for each available admission to the university. Should it admit defeat and shut down the University system?

Quite honestly, you gave up on California and moved to Illinois whereas I gave up on Illinois and moved to California 52 years ago!

I don't have to defend anything more to you any further...

#30 ·
On the basis of its fiscal solvency in five separate categories, California ranks 43rd among the US states for its fiscal health.
https://www.mercatus.org/statefiscalrankings/california

California is funding its spending with debt.

California's constructing a high speed train to go from San Francisco to L.A. http://www.hsr.ca.gov/

California's roads are pathetic. Those that drive here know this.

Its hydro-electric infrastructure is in need of work. Think Oroville Dam.

California recently adopted a minimum wage of 10.50 USD per hour. Its higher in San Francisco.

California is losing 100,000 residents per year. http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/04/24/leaving-california-after-slowing-the-trend-intensifies/

These people are voting with their feet.

To conclude that California can handle its fiscal crisis is whistling past the graveyard.

#31 · (Edited)
https://www.mercatus.org/statefiscalrankings/california

California is funding its spending with debt. Did you pay for your home with cash, or did you get a mortgage [DEBT!]?

California's constructing a high speed train to go from San Francisco to L.A. http://www.hsr.ca.gov/ Calfornia constructed a water aqueduct to bring water from Northern California to L.A. and anti-growth people cried then (1950-60s) too!

California's roads are pathetic. Those that drive here know this. Vote for new supervisors in Santa Clara County and don't whine about it! Support the first increase in the California gasoline tax in 30 years!

Its hydro-electric infrastructure is in need of work. Think Oroville Dam. Experts have said it was original design failures!

California recently adopted a minimum wage of 10.50 USD per hour. Its higher in San Francisco. That is your misguided belief AGAINST the minimum wage; ALL studies show states with higher minimum wages have higher employment levels

California is losing 100,000 residents per year. http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/04/24/leaving-california-after-slowing-the-trend-intensifies/ GOOD: Less traffic on the 405!!! hahahaha

These people are voting with their feet. How do YOU vote?

To conclude that California can handle its fiscal crisis is whistling past the graveyard.
Really? Reports of California's demise are greatly exaggerated!

#32 ·
From AB-1184:

Seven of the 10 cities with the most severe air pollution in the United States are in California. California has the largest proportion of its population, over 40 percent, living close to busy roadways and exposed to an elevated risk of air pollution and health impacts.
Can't argue with that. It was much worse in the 80s, but still...... I haven't forgotten the brown tunnels over the freeways on a still air day. I remember this part of why we left.

Oh well, on or before January 1, 2019 there should be a completed "study". Maybe they'll rectify the “appropriation of billions without identifying a funding source” issue (per the state Department of Finance). Just don't count on CARB for too much of that appropriated funding since they only bring in a fifth of what they want to spend.

Oh my, then there's this....

At last week’s California Air Resources Board hearing to discuss its plan for meeting climate change goals, the cap-and-trade system that has underpinned much of the state’s efforts got raked over the coals. But not by the industries subject to the emissions cap.

Instead, representatives of the communities that are supposed to benefit from investments made possible by money raised by cap and trade asked the board to jettison the program.

Cap and trade, they say, has always been a way for polluters to continue polluting as long as they pay for it. And the harm to communities located near those polluters outweighs any benefits they might get from the money produced by charging them.

Environmental justice advocates have been talking about this for a while, and now there is data backing up their claims.
More here: Cap-and-Trade May Not Be Working

#33 · (Edited)
In the 1950's when I visited my grandparents in Los Angeles from Chicago, people actually DIED from smog in DTLA! Remember that?!? I guess it got better...

Remember when automobile industry representatives in the 1970's spoke out against airbags because of the high cost to replace them after they were triggered in an accident!! Remember that!?! I guess airbags weren't so bad after all...

Remember when the Koch Brothers funded $12 million worth of TV ads in the Red States to convince 26 to 35 year olds NOT to buy Obamacare so that the exchanges would only insure older sick people and not younger healthy people causing insurance rates to go up year after year so they could criticize Obamacare (go see the ads on YouTube!)? Remember that?!? I guess Obamacare wasn't so bad after all...

Lie, Damn Lies and Statistics! Mark Twain

#34 ·
Top 10 U.S. cities most polluted by short-term particle pollution:

Fresno-Madera, Calif.
Bakersfield, Calif.
Visalia-Porterville-Hanford, Calif.
Modesto-Merced, Calif.
Los Angeles-Long Beach, Calif.
San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, Calif.
Salt Lake City-Provo-Orem, Utah
Logan, Utah-Idaho Metropolitan Statistical Area
Fairbanks, Alaska
Pittsburgh-New Castle-Weirton, Pa.-Ohio-W.Va.

Top 10 U.S. cities most polluted by year-round particle pollution:

Fresno-Madera, Calif.
Bakersfield, Calif.
Modesto-Merced, Calif.
El Centro, Calif.
San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, Calif.
Cincinnati-Wilmington-Maysville, Ohio-Ky.-Ind. Metropolitan Statistical Area
Pittsburgh-New Castle-Weirton, Pa.-Ohio-W.Va. Metropolitan Statistical Area
Cleveland-Akron-Canton, Ohio

Top 10 most ozone-polluted cities:

Bakersfield, Calif.
Fresno-Madera, Calif.
Sacramento-Roseville, Calif.
Houston-The Woodlands, Tex.
Dallas-Fort Worth, Tex.-Okla. Metropolitan Statistical Area
Modesto-Merced, Calif.
Las Vegas-Henderson, Nev.-Ariz. Metropolitan Statistical Area
Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, Ariz.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/04/30/the-10-most-polluted-cities-in-the-u-s/?utm_term=.cac405708e39

I think the environmental advocates are right. Cap and trade is a way for polluters to continue polluting. I don't know why they continue to allow this. Money grab maybe, and not a very successful one at that.

#39 ·
Sorry. I thought all Cali progressives had pretty thick skins!

#40 ·
No, but we are gracious and apologize when we go out of our way to inadvertently insult somebody.

In your case, you went out of your way to insult somebody and then call their politics into question instead of an apology!

Nice continuing ethics program they must have in the Colorado state bar system!

Oh, right: legal marijuana now in Colorado! It's ok, you will get used to its effects...

#44 · (Edited)
Here's the point JD4JC:

You are a Bully!

You wait in the shadows with nothing substantive to contribute to this thread.

Then I make a statement about Kansas and the failed politics of its soon to be ex-Governor Sam Brownback, the politics of which you don't like. Since you cannot challenge the correctness of the underlying political statement (tax cuts brought Kansas to the bring of bankruptcy), you come to this thread to attack the messenger.

My mother taught me to stand up to Bullies!

When I did just that, you went on the attack again with your "thick skin" comment; another "Bullying" remark!

When that wasn't enough for you, you made your "gracious" comment!

Believe me: NO ONE ever suggests that gratitude is the correct response to a Bully!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.