GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-ev-rebate-status-20170901-story.html

"The bill directs the state Air Resources Board to devise a formula for car rebates. A single rebate amount would be set that would account for the difference in price between a compact electric car and a traditionally powered compact car, according to the bill.

Sponsor Phil Ting (D-San Francisco) has suggested a Chevy Bolt EV could be compared against the best-selling compact in California, which right now is the Honda Civic. That could mean a rebate of $8,000 to $10,000 or more."

·
Registered
464 Posts
This has already been killed in favor of a study to be performed and a report due sometime in late 2019. Not happening anytime soon if ever...

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Good, what an incredible waste of money that would have been, and it would polarize people even more than they already are with EVs.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Given California's dismal fiscal situation I'm surprised they're even thinking about this.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
What exactly is California's "dismal fiscal situation?"
It is just business as usual for one of the largest state governments...:)

The latest budget proposal from California Governor Jerry Brown does not account for possible changes to federal health care funding.

Brown says that’s because it’s impossible to tell whether a replacement by Republicans in Washington will become law and—if it does—how it will differ from the bill that passed Congress.

The measure would roll back an expansion of Medi-Cal. Brown says the state would either have to drop coverage for millions or pay an amount roughly equal to the entire cost of the University of California system.

"That kind of money would defund the university if you did it all from one source, so the only answer is to fight," he says. "We gotta stop it."

A chart behind Brown at his budget announcement calculated the state would lose more than $5 billion of federal funds in 2019 and almost $25 billion within a decade.

http://www.capradio.org/articles/2017/05/11/live-blog-brown-to-release-updated-spending-plan/

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-california-budget/california-revised-budget-up-slightly-reinstates-some-cuts-idUSKBN18715V

Then there is the K-12 school budgets issues...
http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/07/02/tidal-wave-of-expenses-in-looming-california-school-budget-crisis/

·
Registered
310 Posts
It is just business as usual for one of the largest state governments...:)

The latest budget proposal from California Governor Jerry Brown does not account for possible changes to federal health care funding.

Brown says that’s because it’s impossible to tell whether a replacement by Republicans in Washington will become law and—if it does—how it will differ from the bill that passed Congress.

The measure would roll back an expansion of Medi-Cal. Brown says the state would either have to drop coverage for millions or pay an amount roughly equal to the entire cost of the University of California system.

"That kind of money would defund the university if you did it all from one source, so the only answer is to fight," he says. "We gotta stop it."

A chart behind Brown at his budget announcement calculated the state would lose more than $5 billion of federal funds in 2019 and almost $25 billion within a decade.

http://www.capradio.org/articles/2017/05/11/live-blog-brown-to-release-updated-spending-plan/

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-california-budget/california-revised-budget-up-slightly-reinstates-some-cuts-idUSKBN18715V

Then there is the K-12 school budgets issues...
http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/07/02/tidal-wave-of-expenses-in-looming-california-school-budget-crisis/
Exactly: just "business as usual" for a state with 40 million people; ups and downs.

Hardly a "dismal fiscal situation!"

If state government funding/budgeting is too complicated for you, live in Kansas where Governor Sam Brownback bankrupted the state with "trickle down" tax cuts!

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Exactly: just "business as usual" for a state with 40 million people; ups and downs.

Hardly a "dismal fiscal situation!"

If state government funding is too complicated for you, live in Kansas where the current Governor bankrupted the state with "trickle down" tax cuts!
Well, if the FEDS really do cut $5B in monies going back to CA in 2019, it won't be rosy...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Well, if the FEDS really do cut $5B in monies going back to CA in 2019, it won't be rosy...:rolleyes:
That $5 billion was due to the repeal of Obamacare. What day does Obamacare end?

Rather than continuing to incorrectly "bash" California... Let's get back to the point of this thread:

California has a very "healthy" cap and trade program that will be used for many environmental programs including EV rebates!

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
That $5 billion was due to the repeal of Obamacare. What day does Obamacare end?
Whenever the GOP finally decided to cut their political throats...:)

But CA isn't alone with budget issues...
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/11/states-in-crisis-the-worst-budget-battles-since-the-great-recession.html

Some 33 states reported lower revenues than initially projected in the latest fiscal year, the highest number of states to come up short since the recession blew a giant hole in state budgets in 2010, according to the National Association of State Budget Officers.

States are also bracing for the potential impact of new policies out of Washington that threaten to put great financial strain on their budgets.

In Connecticut, Rhode Island and Wisconsin, lawmakers have yet to resolve disagreements about how to close ongoing budget gaps in their states or fund new budget initiatives.

Legislatures in Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Oregon and Michigan have approved their tax and spending plans, which are waiting for signature or veto in those states.

Lawmakers in a dozen states have called special sessions to resolve outstanding differences over the latest tax and spending plans.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yes, ALL state budgets have issues... Let's get back to the point of this thread:

California has a very "healthy" cap and trade program that will be used for many environmental programs including EV rebates!
Are we really against California's continuing attempts to promote the alternative vehicle fuels market?

If not for CARB, there would not be an EV!

·
Registered
310 Posts
I wan't aware that this was a competition.

I took 2 minutes of my day to provide you with a clue that may answer your question. It's up to you to follow that clue if you seek an answer.
I made my point about several posts earlier...

Lots of people unfairly bash California!

California is NOT having dismal fiscal problems; just what you would expect in the normal ups and downs of a state of 40 million people.

The fact of the matter is that with a very healthy Cap and Trade program bringing in billions of dollars for environmental programs, there WILL be money spent on EV car rebates; the exact amount to be determined at a later date.

AND, don't we want to continue to support California, as the one state that has fostered the whole EV and alternative fuels auto market?

If your answer is NO, you are on the wrong forum!

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
I made my point about several posts earlier...

Lots of people unfairly bash California!

California is NOT having dismal fiscal problems; just what you would expect in the normal ups and downs of a state of 40 million people.

The fact of the matter is that with a very healthy Cap and Trade program bringing in billions of dollars for environmental programs, there WILL be money spent on EV car rebates; the exact amount to be determined at a later date.

AND, don't we want to continue to support California, as the one state that has fostered the whole EV and alternative fuels auto market?

If your answer is NO, you are on the wrong forum!
I lived in California for 5 years. My wife was born there and has family there.

California has a proposed $1.5 billion budget deficit. Adding $3 billion more isn't going to fly.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I lived in California for 5 years. My wife was born there and has family there.

California has a proposed $1.5 billion budget deficit. Adding $3 billion more isn't going to fly.
Your geographical history has little or no relevance to your knowledge of state budgetary matters...

A $1.5 billion deficit is small potatoes compared to earlier days before Governor Jerry Brown returned, and restored fiscal stability to California. We will deal with it.

Secondly, google "wiki emissions trading" and educate yourself about California's Cap and Trade program before you suggest what is aerodynamically sound!

AND: 3 billion was tabled in favor of more study of the final amount!

California funds jobs and the future; Kansas cuts taxes to the wealthy and put its state into near bankruptcy before its state legistature had to override its governor's veto; a guy who left for the Trump administration with his tail between his legs!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts