GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2016 Volt has never started the engine on its own as my 2011 did whenever it went below ~23 degrees Fahrenheit. My old Volt would cycle between battery and gas engine consistently when it got this cold. This is the first winter for the 2016 Volt, and it has never done this, despite driving in 10 degree conditions. Does anyone know if this cause for alarm?

·
Administrator
20,200 Posts
You may have the ideal Volt. Some would be very happy if ERDTT never came on and they could simply turn on Hold mode to generate ICE waste heat for the cabin, lol.

First, check your settings to see what temp the car is set to use for ERDTT. Then make a dealer appointment assuming the car is not running ERDTT when it's supposed to. Meanwhile, the worst that will happen is you'll use more battery for heating the interior.

Or leave it as-is and put the car in Hold to heat the cabin from the ICE's waste heat. That's all ERDTT is doing anyway.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Engine is so quiet you can't tell. Also Gen 2 Volts only give the ERDTT notice once.
Look at the Energy screen > Info when it's 10 degrees and see if gas is being consumed.

If ERDTT doesn't run a number of us want to know your secret.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Maybe if the coolant is already warmed up because the battery just finished charging? I have noticed that sometimes much less energy is used for climate control when recently charged, in a moderate temperature garage. This morning it was 18 degrees, but that's like once in 5 year cold for Austin Texas, so I never see ERDTT.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
My 2016 Volt has never started the engine on its own as my 2011 did whenever it went below ~23 degrees Fahrenheit. My old Volt would cycle between battery and gas engine consistently when it got this cold. This is the first winter for the 2016 Volt, and it has never done this, despite driving in 10 degree conditions. Does anyone know if this cause for alarm?
From a cold Volt in order initiate ERDTT regardless of air temperature just remove the outside ambient air temp sensor from the connector off the front of your Volt and then turn it ON. The temp displayed on the touchscreen should default to -40F/C and ERDTT should engage the ICE immediately.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update on the problem from original post.- I listened, and learned from the responses, and took it in to Chevy. They updated the software in a recall, and checked for any unrosolved problems pertaining to lack of ERDTT function. Without any explanation of changes made (maybe it was the software update that did it), but after that my engine starts in any temperature below 30, and cycles as my old Volt did. The warning just comes on once engine start is initiated (not throughout the whole cycle as my 1st generation Volt did), and then fades away. I thank you for your wisdom, and the talent (or luck) of Mr. Goodwrench

1 - 6 of 6 Posts