GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM would make early adopters feel a lot more comfortable buying the first model year if the purchase contract includes a 3-year free or low-cost upgrade offer for 2nd generation battery packs when they are released.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Frank Weber kind of choked on the upgradable question at Voltnation. I think it is essential for resale value and buyer appeal to know they have some plan for upgrades, but we can't expect the battery for free or minimal cost.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Frank Weber kind of choked on the upgradable question at Voltnation. I think it is essential for resale value and buyer appeal to know they have some plan for upgrades, but we can't expect the battery for free or minimal cost.
I disagree. If the battery itself has a resale value and GM can reuse it in another application, then the upgrade show be the cost of installation + the cost of the new battery - the resale value. You know, kind of like the way that a trade in on a car works now. With the potential for the batteries after they are removed, I don't see why anyone should expect any less.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Interchangeability and being able to upgrade battery packs over the life of the vehicle is something that would really sell me on a vehicle like this, especially if I could lease the battery pack (I know many people on here hate the thought of leasing but I would be up for it.)

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I disagree. If the battery itself has a resale value and GM can reuse it in another application, then the upgrade show be the cost of installation + the cost of the new battery - the resale value. You know, kind of like the way that a trade in on a car works now. With the potential for the batteries after they are removed, I don't see why anyone should expect any less.
I agree completely with this but don't see how this disagrees with what I wrote unless you are referring to Frand Weber's position. The battery will depreciate considerably as time goes by and new battery advancements occur, so the replacement cost (new - value of old) will probably be considerable.

·
Registered
198 Posts
In my view about the battery. There is no upgrade. 10 years past by and still use that same old battery model for the volt even there is a newer battery technology, but won't work with the volt. When the battery get old we toss out the battery and get another one just as the old one. Unless you hack the car to make the new battery technology work with it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
In my view about the battery. There is no upgrade. 10 years past by and still use that same old battery model for the volt even there is a newer battery technology, but won't work with the volt. When the battery get old we toss out the battery and get another one just as the old one. Unless you hack the car to make the new battery technology work with it.
I Sooooo..... look forward to hacking this car :D

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yeah, So am I. I just can't wait to see all the hack from the internet and youtube. Some of the hack may end up becoming an third party add-on.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm thinking of a capasator type boost system that can chage off the main battery then discharge with the push of a button VERY fast. A cool LED guage to indicate the "boost charge state". I think of it as an EV version of a NOS system.

Note to self, don't torque hard parts off car totally with first test! :eek:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yeah, So am I. I just can't wait to see all the hack from the internet and youtube. Some of the hack may end up becoming an third party add-on.
I hope that they crowd source the software... I find the UI on the center display ODD, no random on music... It locks up and other unplanned behavior. But then I don't think the dealer did anything but let me take the car... So likely a mishmash of early gen 2 software.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm thinking of a capasator type boost system that can chage off the main battery then discharge with the push of a button VERY fast. A cool LED guage to indicate the "boost charge state". I think of it as an EV version of a NOS system.

Note to self, don't torque hard parts off car totally with first test! :eek:
We bought the car from on of the oldest of the old guard. They're not going to think like a new electric car company, ever. Nor with they ever act like a new electric car company, ever.

Dealer acted like they were doing me a favor by allowing me to take the car. Far more interested in trucks, suv's even Corvette's...

·
Administrator
20,113 Posts
Interesting old thread. Lot's of angst about the main battery. Fear of the unknown is understandable.

But 5 years and 72k miles later, my Volt's main battery is fine. Regarding replacement, it can be done if you want to pay the costs, but why would I? Yes, I could get an extra 5 miles of travel from a later model battery, but that's not worth the upgrade cost. Few would consider replacing the ICE on a gas burner because the newest model has a few more MPG.

As far as GM being old guard, no question. They are also coming out with the Bolt EV at least a full year (likely more) ahead of a new electric car company. And it will likely have fewer quality issues than an EV produced by a new electric car company with no experience producing high volume cars, with no track record of hitting production dates, with no track record of the final car being the price first announced, with supplier issues, and rushing to get the first few out the door.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Almost 96,000 EV miles on my battery in 4.5 years and still about as good as new..

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Nearly 80,000 miles on my MY 2012 with no degradation, and over 20,000 miles on my MY 2015 without a hiccup.

For me, given that the Volt is actually designed as an EV first, I would much rather see a retrofit that allows the complete removal of the ICE system, a 60-80 kWh battery replacement, and the addition of a DCFC. It will be years before something like that is available, and at that point, it would probably be cheaper just to buy a 300 mile ranged BEV sedan.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts