GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After driving north of 26,000 miles over 2-1/2 years in a leased LEAF, I just bought a black 2013 Volt. Yes. No, not kidding.

Since we're confessing shocking things here, I'll add this for any Chevrolet guys who are lurking: This is my first American auto since owning a Pontiac in 1985. You did good. Real good. Thank you for that, keep it up please.

Thanks too, to those who have invested their time and $$$ to develop and run this site, and to the many who've spent countless hours adding valuable information to it. Really appreciate it.

I'll close by noting (and hoping this doesn't violate forum rules), that after next Tuesday 12/17 I'll have a set of four stock Volt wheels + tires + GM TPMS sensors for sale at a reasonable price. The tires have ~2100 miles on them so they're not new but close to it. I'm in the Seattle/Portland/Corvallis areas for in person delivery but can ship too.

-David

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Welcome. I just got a Volt also.

·
Super Moderator
6,245 Posts
Welcome aboard! It will be interesting how your experiences compare as you rack up miles on the Volt.
Absolutely welcome. If you have not visited our quasi-FAQ then do (see sig). We are al interested in your new experiences. Pros and Cons are welcome.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Absolutely welcome. If you have not visited our quasi-FAQ then do (see sig). We are al interested in your new experiences. Pros and Cons are welcome.
Thank you Scott, for the warm welcome! It will take some time to fully adjust but then I'll write up and share. Thanks for the FAQ pointer.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
And the start of gas anxiety? :p
So true, normal folks turn OCD over using a quart of gas in their Volt's. In any event welcome aboard.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Welcome. I have both a Leaf and a Volt. They both have their plus and minuses. You will enjoy the sportier feel of the Volt. You will also notice that you scrape on everything that the Leaf cleared with ease lol.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Why must there be sides? They are both great cars, and I like them both.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Cool beans. Are you yet hooked on the torque and the peaceful quiet? :)
Well, in my case, it's for my daughter. She will be driving next month. I'm breaking it in.

I normally drive a hotrod diesel with 1300 ft/lb or a supercharged Caddy.

But the Volt surprised me. It feels tight and nimble, and is comfy to drive. I'm kinda likin' breaking it in for her.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After driving north of 26,000 miles over 2-1/2 years in a leased LEAF, I just bought a black 2013 Volt. Yes. No, not kidding.

Since we're confessing shocking things here, I'll add this for any Chevrolet guys who are lurking: This is my first American auto since owning a Pontiac in 1985. You did good. Real good. Thank you for that, keep it up please.

Thanks too, to those who have invested their time and $$$ to develop and run this site, and to the many who've spent countless hours adding valuable information to it. Really appreciate it.

I'll close by noting (and hoping this doesn't violate forum rules), that after next Tuesday 12/17 I'll have a set of four stock Volt wheels + tires + GM TPMS sensors for sale at a reasonable price. The tires have ~2100 miles on them so they're not new but close to it. I'm in the Seattle/Portland/Corvallis areas for in person delivery but can ship too.

-David
Finished my first 1,000 miles. Overall, I love the car. Great handling, nice tight fit & finish, and I love the looks. Am still blown away by its smooth/seamless transition to extended range mode. I customized my 2013 MY Volt by replacing the stock air dam with the low profile one, and replaced the factory wheels/tires with custom ones and Michelin tires. Looks so tight and the wet handling is better (I live in Seattle).

I hit the same glitch other 2011-2013 owners have with the charger port door. My local Chevy Volt service tech solved it with a piece of tape-backed foam on the door's arm, which creates just enough outward pressure that the thing pops open nicely every time:

He probably also lubricated it too.

The car is still emitting a strong and unpleasant odor when I drive it with the generator on in sport mode (which is rare). Am about to do a 500 mile trip down to Oregon and back (in normal/hold mode) and hoping that whatever is causing the smell will burn off. I haven't dealt with car odor like this since my last American car. This really shouldn't happen.

My wish list for the 2020 Volt I'll buy next:
No odors!
A bit bigger battery (~20-24 kWh)
A more powerful generator so the car can maintain consistent drive feel when the EV juice runs out
Replace the green/blue color scheme on the console display with a red/white/gray look (see Audi MMI); easier on old eyes
Add a rear window wiper
Lengthen the car (or shorten the hatch area) a bit so rear seat leg room is less cramped
Continue to improve highway fuel efficiency

Overall, despite any little foibles, I'd give this car a solid "A" and am very happy with it. Many thanks, again, to the community for all the useful information.

-David

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
Thanks for the foam-on-door-hinge tip, AmpedToGo. Others may want to try it. Here's my "artist's interpretation" :)

Charge-Door-Popper.jpg

·
Registered
90 Posts
Add a rear window wiper
-David
I also had problems with that çause I've switshed from an SUV with rear wiper... The last month here was really really foggy and every morning I had to wipe the rear hatch window or use lots of watts to heat it.
No more.
Bought Turtle wax rain repellent and applied to all the windows.. makes a huge difference. I go out, floor it for a sec to hit 60-70 kph and the mist/drops instantly dissapear.

Two of your other wishes contradict a bit.. you can't wish for twice the battery and a lighter car as well :) Although in 2020 .. who knows :) Personally I think they did a pretty good ballance between battery size/weight and ICE power.. I do agree they could have added a couple of inches of leg room without any other substantial sacrifices ..

Anyway. Enjoy your new ride :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts