GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After 2 1/2 months of Volt daily use, I am averaging 250 miles per gallon (note the attached image file).

During this period, my calculated fuel savings were $398.35 (as compared to my Aurora). This is actually a conservative estimate because I had been putting $260.00 a month into the Aurora's tank.

Electronics Multimedia Vehicle audio Technology Electronic device

One of the economic benefits the Volt provides is to insulate us from the dangerous volatility we have seen in gasoline pricing. Had gasoline been $4.00 per gallon (instead of $3.50), I would have saved $455.00. At $5.00 per gallon, the savings would have been $568.00.

A retiree, or someone on a fixed income, could benefit substantially by having the predictable energy costs the Volt affords.

James

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
The wife and I are planning to retire fairly soon, the solar and the Volts fit perfectly into a relatively fixed income situation.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Congrats on the 250+.. Maybe someday I'll get there. But my longer trips keep it down, I was happy to finally break 100 lifetime.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Getting 1,700 mpg and loving every mile. Just got a survey from JD power. I am telling them everything about this car is great. I only have a 28 mile round trip to work.I always pass the rest area stations and smile.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Only one week of ownership. 224 miles, 0.1 gallons of gas, 2,240 MPG. The weekday commute is only 22 miles round trip and the longer drive I took yesterday featured a parking garage with a free charger so that day was all electric too. Yeah, future road trips are gonna kill me as my mileage drops to, oh, 250 MPG. Hahahahaha, take *that*, OPEC!

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have used about .2 gallons to go over 600 miles since buying the car and also have the 250+ MPG reading.

However, I consider this figure as computed by the car to be misleading bogus. I still use energy, just not gasoline.

I compute the cost-equivalent mpg - looking at the cost of all electricity and gas I use to go so many miles and then figuring out what mpg on gas alone would cost the same. I am currently running at an equivalent 116 mpg overall: if I bought only gasoline I would have to have a vehcile getting 116 mph to spend so little on fuel as I spent on electricity now.

That, it seems to me, is realistic. And it is still a very impressive number.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I spend about $10.00 a week on electricity. This is what I was spending on oil for the Aurora, so that has been a wash for me.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I have used about .2 gallons to go over 600 miles since buying the car and also have the 250+ MPG reading.

However, I consider this figure as computed by the car to be misleading bogus. I still use energy, just not gasoline.

I compute the cost-equivalent mpg - looking at the cost of all electricity and gas I use to go so many miles and then figuring out what mpg on gas alone would cost the same. I am currently running at an equivalent 116 mpg overall: if I bought only gasoline I would have to have a vehcile getting 116 mph to spend so little on fuel as I spent on electricity now.

That, it seems to me, is realistic. And it is still a very impressive number.
I do not think the figure computed is misleading or bogus. The figure is in the unit of MPG, which is accurate if you used .2 gallons in 600 miles. MPG is a good unit to use if one is interested in knowing how much gasoline they are using to travel.

On the other hand, if one is interested in knowing how much they spend on fuel, then one must measure in $/mile or miles/$. You can only accurately do this by tracking the amount of gasoline and electricity used.

We are so use to using the MPG because for a traditional car it is easy to convert MPG to cost since gasoline is the only fuel used. EV owners.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts