GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just purchased a used 2016 volt and was ready to make an adapter but was disappointing to discover when i got home i have the same charger as the gen 1 volts. Did some Gen 2 volts come this way or is it likely someone in the service department threw whatever they had on hand in the back?

·
Registered
296 Posts
I just purchased a used 2016 volt and was ready to make an adapter but was disappointing to discover when i got home i have the same charger as the gen 1 volts. Did some Gen 2 volts come this way or is it likely someone in the service department threw whatever they had on hand in the back?
What are the part numbers on your charger. I can sell you a new oem charger. I can even make toy the adapter for cost of parts if you want.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can make the adapter just wondering if i should go back to the dealer and have them swap it out but if some did have the older style charger ill just mod it. I just didnt want to have to deal with modding it when i can just make the adapter.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
I bought one of the first 2016 Volts in the US. It's charger does 240v natively. So does our 2017 and 2019. Somebody swapped if you have a G1 charger.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought one of the first 2016 Volts in the US. It's charger does 240v natively. So does our 2017 and 2019. Somebody swapped if you have a G1 charger.
I am going to see if they will swap it for me and if they want to give me grief ill pull out the 7 day option to cancel. I am pretty sure they don't want me to give back the car.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
I am going to see if they will swap it for me and if they want to give me grief ill pull out the 7 day option to cancel. I am pretty sure they don't want me to give back the car.
You should request the correct EVSE that was supplied by GM with the 2016 Volt not because it happens to be capable of charging at 240V using an adapter cable but because it is the correct GM provided EVSE for your Volt. Also, the Gen 1 EVSE is older so it can assumed that it will not be as reliable or last as expected.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hate to say it but I thought of doing this...My daughter had a 2013 and I was swapping my 2016 in.....no brainer....Daughter gets new EVSE from 2016...dealer gets old one from 2013 Volt...
BUT did not do it..
You are the victim of someone who did.....

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Should be obvious you want the 2016 EVSE that goes with the 2016 Volt, not an older EVSE.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts