GM Volt Forum banner

240V Charging for 2013 Chevy Volt: only 13.2 Amps?

1844 Views 21 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Billr580
Hello Folks,

I own a 2013 Chevy Volt Premier. Have owned it since 2015, and it only has abou 45,000 miles on the odometer.

Always used the 120V Level 1 charger that came along with the vehicle. But recently I installed 32 Amps Level 2 Charger in my garage and, as expected, it charges the Volt much faster than the one that came with the vehicle, but it seems to only feed up to 13.2Amps to the Volt. Is that a limitation of the Chevy Volt itself (that internally does the conversion from AC to DC) or is the new charger defective?
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2011 Premium, Nav (added back-up camera! :)
684 Posts
Always used the 120V Level 1 charger that came along with the vehicle. But recently I installed 32 Amps Level 2 Charger in my garage and, as expected, it charges the Volt much faster than the one that came with the vehicle, but it seems to only feed up to 13.2Amps to the Volt. Is that a limitation of the Chevy Volt itself (that internally does the conversion from AC to DC) or is the new charger defective?
As others have said, the amps are about right. My 2011 will pull 14 amps even though the EVSE is rated at 16A. 14x 240 ~= 3.3kW

· Registered
2011 Premium, Nav (added back-up camera! :)
684 Posts
I know the math comes out the same, but that’s not what’s happening. The neutral isn’t wired into a level-2 EVSE. There aren’t two legs sending current to a neutral. The current going into one side is just coming out the other side (opposite phase). It really is 13.x amps at 240+ volts and not twice 13.x at 120v.
Correct about the neutral and the current, but not quite right... There is only a single phase in residential service, so the current is not coming out the other side phase (opposite phase). The transformer winding feeding the service at a house has a grounded center tap that splits the 240V. The two hots coming into the house are the same phase, but current is flowing in opposite directions at any instant in time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts