GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the current recommendation for a 240 charger? I'm having some electrical work done and I figured now is a good time (house has 200 amp service).

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
My guess is that the Clipper Creek brand is the most popular. It is made in the United States and has an excellent warranty. There have been very few failures and when there is one they have sent out a replacement unit quickly.

·
Registered
206 Posts
What is the current recommendation for a 240 charger? I'm having some electrical work done and I figured now is a good time (house has 200 amp service).
Yup, Clipper Creek LCS-20 is a direct wired EVSE. I love it. I installed an amp meter on the panel to monitor the charge (more gee-wiz info than anything..) I've had no problems with the LCS-20. Actually, I've never even used the EVSE that came with the car...

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
An LCS-20 is a 16 amp EVSE that you install on a 20 amp electrical circuit. That is plenty for a Gen 1 Volt.

However, if you think you or a future owner of the house might own a future EV with a higher charge rate, it would be a good time to put in a higher amperage circuit like 30 or 50. You might also consider powering 2 EVSEs for 2 cars. A good way to achieve flexibility for that would be to put a sub panel in the garage so you can branch off of that in the future.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Barry offers good advice. If you are doing work anyway, future proof. Then shop your EVSE based on the outlet you have. For me, I ended up with a 20 amp outlet but wired for 30 amp. Best I could do without replacing the sub panel. For the original poster, options are wider.

·
Registered
206 Posts
An LCS-20 is a 16 amp EVSE that you install on a 20 amp electrical circuit. That is plenty for a Gen 1 Volt.

However, if you think you or a future owner of the house might own a future EV with a higher charge rate, it would be a good time to put in a higher amperage circuit like 30 or 50. You might also consider powering 2 EVSEs for 2 cars. A good way to achieve flexibility for that would be to put a sub panel in the garage so you can branch off of that in the future.
I agree... My garage panel is on a 60 amp circuit, so IF I ever decide to move into a BEV, I shouldn't have any problems.

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I originally put in a NEMA L6-20 outlet and used the L1/L2 EVSE that came with the car, with a pigtail that I made according to another thread on this site. Recently, I switched it out for a NEMA 14-50, as I was getting a Model 3. The Volt charged just fine using the L1/L2 EVSE and a 14-50 pigtail. If I did it all over again, I'd just start with the NEMA 14-50 outlet, and use the L1/L2 EVSE that came with the car. With a Gen1 Volt, the ClipperCreeks are highly rated. In fact, I'm quite sure the Gen2 Volts have a ClipperCreek EVSE, that's branded GM.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
I originally put in a NEMA L6-20 outlet and used the L1/L2 EVSE that came with the car, with a pigtail that I made according to another thread on this site. Recently, I switched it out for a NEMA 14-50, as I was getting a Model 3. The Volt charged just fine using the L1/L2 EVSE and a 14-50 pigtail. If I did it all over again, I'd just start with the NEMA 14-50 outlet, and use the L1/L2 EVSE that came with the car. With a Gen1 Volt, the ClipperCreeks are highly rated. In fact, I'm quite sure the Gen2 Volts have a ClipperCreek EVSE, that's branded GM.
Is the NEMA 14-50R receptacle wired with 6-4 wire and a 50 amp breaker?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts