GM Volt Forum banner

240 Volts charge time is slow

6072 28
Hello,

recently i have installed 240 V circuit in my garage. I have 50 AMP wire, 50 AMP breaker and Nema 6-50 plug. I see that its taking 5 and half hours for me to charge my 2016 Volt. is it normal or is there something wrong in my connection ?
i am assuming it should take max any where between 4 and half hours to 5 hours for full charge
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Hello,

recently i have installed 240 V circuit in my garage. I have 50 AMP wire, 50 AMP breaker and Nema 6-50 plug. I see that its taking 5 and half hours for me to charge my 2016 Volt. is it normal or is there something wrong in my connection ?
i am assuming it should take max any where between 4 and half hours to 5 hours for full charge
Empty battery to full charge on mine takes 4:15 to 4:20. Maybe your voltage is something less that 240 V?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i am talking about 240 volts power. when i keep the charger to 110volts outlet, it will take around 12 to 13 hours for full charge. where as for 240 volts its taking around 5 and half hours

I am using the same charger that came with my car and using the converter which Chris gave me

·
Registered
994 Posts
i am talking about 240 volts power. when i keep the charger to 110volts outlet, it will take around 12 to 13 hours for full charge. where as for 240 volts its taking around 5 and half hours

I am using the same charger that came with my car and using the converter which Chris gave me
That "converter" is commonly called a pigtail... just a plug on each end to make it adapt to 240V. Using the OEM EVSE and the pigtail you are limited to 12 amps vs using an aftermarket EVSE that can charge at higher amps, so you take a bit longer to charge than with an aftermarket EVSE.

Keith

·
Registered
13,357 Posts
That "converter" is commonly called a pigtail... just a plug on each end to make it adapt to 240V. Using the OEM EVSE and the pigtail you are limited to 12 amps vs using an aftermarket EVSE that can charge at higher amps, so you take a bit longer to charge than with an aftermarket EVSE.

Keith
Correct, if one had a "Real" L2 EVSE rated for 15-16 amps or more, then you'd see 4-4.5 hour charge times. So there is nothing wrong with the wiring or the EVSE. It is charging as designed. 5.5 hours is still better than >10 hours.

·
Registered
529 Posts

That is exactly what you were told it would take in your previous thread. It was specifically pointed out that you'd be charging at 80% of the maximum speed that the car could be charged in. See post #30: (again!)

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...olts-and-50-Amp-Breaker&p=3226145#post3226145

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Bingo! Using the converter cable your maximum charger rate will be limited to 12Amp (2.88kW) and as such you will not be able to charge at the maximum of 15A (3.6kW) that the Volt is capable of. The OEM 120V portable charge cord equipped with a custom 240V adapter simply isn't able to do that.
You would need to buy a commercial 240V charge station rated for a 20A breaker or more to achieve the maximum rate of charge for your Volt

WOT

·
Registered
529 Posts
Bingo! Using the converter cable your maximum charger rate will be limited to 12Amp (2.88kW) and as such you will not be able to charge at the maximum of 15A (3.6kW) that the Volt is capable of. The OEM 120V portable charge cord equipped with a custom 240V adapter simply isn't able to do that.
You would need to buy a commercial 240V charge station rated for a 20A breaker or more to achieve the maximum rate of charge for your Volt

WOT
I don't get it. This was all pointed out to him numerous times in the other thread, but he said he wanted to save the money. Heck, you even gave him a link for the cheapest one he'd need to be able to charge at the maximum rate for the car. It's like he didn't read any of it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I don't get it. This was all pointed out to him numerous times in the other thread, but he said he wanted to save the money. Heck, you even gave him a link for the cheapest one he'd need to be able to charge at the maximum rate for the car. It's like he didn't read any of it.
Reading through all his/her posts, sure looks like a disappointed Volt owner. None of which are Volt's faults.
- disappointed about low Milage and low EV range while driving at speeds around 70mph.
- disappointed about long charge times when using 110V
- disappointed about high electricity costs for charging while charging during peak hours and not looking at PG&E's EV rate plans.
- not familiar with electrical terms like amps and volts; yet insisted on needing a 50amp option just in case he/she purchases a Tesla in the future.

This reminds me of the Yahoo article - The Volt is a Thinking Man's car, only if you think about it. [emoji41]

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi,

thanks for pointing this. honestly speaking i am new to this. this is my 1st electric car. so i couldn't able to understand few things in beginning. slowly i am getting to know the things.
i really appreciate everyone for helping me and pointing me towards the right direction.
i understood that the pigtail converter charges at 12 amp and is bit slow. thanks for pointing this

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
As the saying goes: "You get what you paid for".

You should go for the 230 VAC Level 2 EVSE for your Volt and any future EVs. It is a heavy investment, but you will save money and time for the life of your car, or yours (the Volt can outlast any life). I built and installed a Level 2 EVSE (see my signature) and set it up for 7.2 kW (it can handle 15 kW) yet I have no EV but I plan to get one, so you must get a good Level 2 EVSE to enjoy now and keep using for your future.

A Gen 2 Volt will charge up to 3.6 kW (230 VAC at 15 A) per hour, so a full charge should be a little over three hours. If you do opportunity charging (every tme you park your Volt) as many do with their smartphones, you can charge for an extra 10 to 15 miles while you take a break. That is how many here do it, and hardly visit a gas station.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Reading through all his/her posts, sure looks like a disappointed Volt owner. None of which are Volt's faults.
- disappointed about low Milage and low EV range while driving at speeds around 70mph.
- disappointed about high electricity costs for charging while charging during peak hours and not looking at PG&E's EV rate plans.
- not familiar with electrical terms like amps and volts; yet insisted on needing a 50amp option just in case he/she purchases a Tesla in the future.

This reminds me of the Yahoo article - The Volt is a Thinking Man's car, only if you think about it. [emoji41]
I am pretty new to all this terminology ( Amp, Volts, breaker etc). i got to know many things after joining this forum. now i think i am able to understand 80% of things here in EV world. thanks for helping me

the only reason i am not changing my PGE plan is during morning times i might be using A/C or heater which might shoot up my Electric bill. i want to see how much bill i get after charging for 20 days per month. if its more then what i anticipated, then i will change the plan
I have electric breaker outside my house ( not inside the garage). so when i asked few electricians everyone are saying they need to break the walls, re paint them etc and quoting me around 1800 to 2500$. Do u guys think is it worth of paying for having 20 Amp wire for one time and after in future again if i buy another car, i need to pay 2500$ for electrician to break my wall and change the wire to 50 amp ?
This is why i took all your suggestions and installed 50 amp wire so that i need not to change in future ( unless its really required)
i can really wait for 1 extra hour if i think i am saving in between 400 to 800 $ for charging station

·
Registered
354 Posts
Do you have a 30a 240v dryer outlet? This can support the higher amperage EVSE. I use mine because I have a gas dryer. Some condos only have 120v laundry outlets because of the smaller machines, but almost every house has 240v in the garage or laundry room.

If you go with the utility plan, you might need to get a separate meter and you will have to pay an electrician for all that. At least that is how it is for SDGE time of use EV charging. I'm guessing PG&E is similar.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts

GOOD, FAST, CHEAP........ PICK TWO!!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.