GM Volt Forum banner

240 Charger via SPX

4374 10
Hi all:
I have been lurking here for over a year. Then I saw the Viridian Joule beauty on a dealer lot and grabbed her two months ago. I really love my Volt. She is in the shop currently for the battery reinforcement / airbag/ new cord upgrades. Thanks to the group for all the information you have provided. So far I’m at 1600 miles and 0.3 gallons of gas used.
I've been doing pretty well with my 110 volt charger but I filled out the on line SPX questionnaire and was called by the SPX representative on Sunday, which was a surprise. She went over the options and told me that the Chargepoint had no money set aside for the install but the Blink had 1200 dollars available for the installation. I had gotten the sense from the forums here that the Chargepoint was the one with money provided for the install rather than the Blink. Perhaps this is a regional difference – I live in northern Virginia. It sounds like the Chargepoint has been more reliable than the Blink from what I have read here. Does the group have any thoughts on money being provided for the install and whether the Blink problems have been solved?
I appreciate the assistance.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Premium Member
19,942 Posts
I've had zero problems with my Blink. Most people who have experienced problems have had network issues. It's not so much the charger as it is the software establishing the network.

If I had a choice at the same price I'd pick the ChargePoint without hesitation. But if the Blink ends up costing $1200 less I'd go with the Blink. Even if you have network problems it will still work. At worst if you toss out the Blink you can pick up a EVSE Upgrade or SPX Express unit for less than $1200 and just plug them into the installed socket.

· Registered
10 Posts
I had some issues early on with the Blink and network connectivity, but after the last major software update I've noticed zero problems. Even with the network issues, it wasn't affecting the usability for me; instead, it was just unable to feed usage data back to Blink.

· Registered
89 Posts
I've had no problems with the Blink. It works flawlessly and have had no network issues either. In my region (Southern California) I was advised by SPX the same as you: $1200 credit for Blink install; no credit for Charge Point install. That's the reason I chose the Blink unit. In fact, my installer said he prefers the Blink and has one at home for his Volt. The bottom line is you can't go wrong with either one. I prefer the Blink because it has a large interactive LCD touch screen.

· Registered
509 Posts
The Blink unit itself seems to work okay for us. Its screen failed once (needed a tech to repair it) but it continued to charge so we really did not care too much other than having to be home during the day for the repair. We had connectivity issues but resolved those by putting an Airport Express out in the garage to extend the wireless network.

If you can get the Blink for free, IMO it is a good deal. If your part of the total cost exceeds about $500 then I would start looking around. Personally, I would get my own electrician to put in standard 240V outlet with a 40 amp fuse and then self-install a GE from Lowes ($999). All that will cost about $1,200 - $1,400 and you should be eligible for a 30% tax rebate.

The Blink has a lot of complex feedback electronics for the DOE that provide very little value to me and are the source of the connectivity issues. We also have an AV Leaf charger that we bought when we thought we were going to buy the Leaf and - while it was seriously overpriced on the installation - it works just fine.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_107343-7686...oductId=3506910&N=0&catalogId=10051&langId=-1
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

· Registered
1,237 Posts

· Registered
915 Posts
Hi all:
I have been lurking here for over a year. Then I saw the Viridian Joule beauty on a dealer lot and grabbed her two months ago. I really love my Volt. She is in the shop currently for the battery reinforcement / airbag/ new cord upgrades. Thanks to the group for all the information you have provided. So far I’m at 1600 miles and 0.3 gallons of gas used.
I've been doing pretty well with my 110 volt charger but I filled out the on line SPX questionnaire and was called by the SPX representative on Sunday, which was a surprise. She went over the options and told me that the Chargepoint had no money set aside for the install but the Blink had 1200 dollars available for the installation. I had gotten the sense from the forums here that the Chargepoint was the one with money provided for the install rather than the Blink. Perhaps this is a regional difference – I live in northern Virginia. It sounds like the Chargepoint has been more reliable than the Blink from what I have read here. Does the group have any thoughts on money being provided for the install and whether the Blink problems have been solved?
I appreciate the assistance.
Congrats, I live just around the corner from you in Dunn Loring (on the WO&D Trail). I have a blink unit and it has worked flawlessly since install. Its a great looking unit too. If you ever want to swing by to see it, let me know. It cost me $100 total out of pocket due to the $1200 allowance.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. I guess I got the wrong idea about the Blink. I sure would like to have the out of pocket be minimal with the Blink installation incentive. I'll let them do the on site evaluation and see what they want to charge me before I decide about perhaps getting an electrician on my own as some of you have suggested.

I wish you all happy (mostly) electric motoring.

Brittt1: I'm in Vienna so as you say, we are close. I followed a black Volt down Lawyers Road the other day so more and more of us are out there.

· Registered
915 Posts
Brittt1: I'm in Vienna so as you say, we are close. I followed a black Volt down Lawyers Road the other day so more and more of us are out there.
Well I drive a black volt and use lawyers morning and evening to/from work so it may have been me

· Registered
4 Posts
SPX Out of Pocket Costs Exceeding $1200! Has anyone considered contacting the DoE?

OK. Got the volt Love it so far. Got the estimate for the charger though. Wow. Even after all the incentives, they're trying to charge me over $1200 . I just don't get it. It seems like they're keeping a lot of the money provided as an incentive by the government / not really the purpose or intent of the funding which is to encourage us to go electric.

I guess I was in shock. Expected out of pocket costs to be no more than $500 with all the incentives.

Has anyone contact SPX management, Ecotality, OR the DoE? I'm going to as well but wanted to hear about your experiences and/or lessons learned in this process.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.