GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
2,356 Posts
http://www.largus.fr/mondial/photos-opel-ampera-e-2017-largusfr-deja-a-bord-dun-prototype-8081388.html

According to the article (in French) linked above, the range of the Ampera-e on the New European Driving Cycle (NEDC) will be revealed by Opel this coming Tuesday, Sept. 13. NEDC range is much more optimistic than EPA, but it will provide some indication. Hopefully this means that EPA ranges will also be coming soon.

It also states that the Ampera-e will be unveiled on September 29 for the Paris motor show.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Is it sad that I am giggling like a child with excitement?

This might be a smart move by GM, and possibly the most egregious example of dishonesty. A number of manufacturers have been releasing NEDC range numbers before EPA estimates for marketing purposes. "Oh, look at this 50 mpg car! Aw... it only gets 35 mpg according to the EPA."

·
Registered
425 Posts
I too am also giggling like a child and can't wait. I want one. Note over the air updates will be available on the Bolt too

Don

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
NEDC numbers are valid for many users as well, basically the high end of what to expect. Maybe near 300 for Bolt EV? Figure EPA numbers coming soon.

Hopefully Korean shipping company bankruptcy (1) doesn't delay anything, but I think Hyundai and Samsung shipping might be picking up the slack. I imagine start seeing Bolt EV in production next month? We need final specs soon :)

(1): http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2016/09/08/493157924/container-ships-stranded-at-sea-after-south-korean-company-goes-bankrupt

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
The article threw out a guess of 400km for the range (a hair under 250 miles)

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
The article threw out a guess of 400km for the range (a hair under 250 miles)
Most likely, that is based off of the 200 mile estimate. On the Leaf, the NEDC's test resulted in a range that was about 30% greater (115 miles) than the EPA's range estimate. If the NEDC improved their testing cycle (i.e., made it harder), we should still probably expect a 20% difference. If they didn't, the Bolt's NEDC range should be somewhere close to 300 miles (+/- 20 miles).

·
1,308 Posts
Most likely, that is based off of the 200 mile estimate. On the Leaf, the NEDC's test resulted in a range that was about 30% greater (115 miles) than the EPA's range estimate. If the NEDC improved their testing cycle (i.e., made it harder), we should still probably expect a 20% difference. If they didn't, the Bolt's NEDC range should be somewhere close to 300 miles (+/- 20 miles).
Actually, the NEDC estimates for the 24 kWh and 30 kWh version were 43% and 45% greater than the respective EPA range estimates. If a similar ratio applies to the Bolt EV then an EPA range estimate of 207-210 would result in a NEDC range of 300 miles.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
... it is exciting!
It may be make or break for some based on the soon to be disclosed range number.

In any case- I'll apply my Volt SAF (seasonal adjustment factor= EPA range x 0.74 for winter range, EPA range x 1.26 for summer range) to get my worst/best case range figure.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Chevy website has been updated with more info. Of particular interest, the trim guide:

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/Chevrolet/northamerica/usa/nscwebsite/en/Home/Vehicles/Cars/2017_Bolt_Reveal/model_overview/02_Pdf/bolt-ev-trims-comparison-081016.pdf

The packages look very similar to Volt. Wonder if they'll price it identically (i.e., MSRP $33,220 for LT and $37,570 for Premier). Shame that the only way to get Driver Confidence II (camera-based AEB, FCW, LDW, LKA, Intellibeam) is to get Premier. Everything else looks OK.

Also, MPGe is 128 MPGe city, 110 MPGe highway, and 119 MPGe combined. Very good -- basically identical to i3 94 Ah and Spark EV.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts