GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I just bought a 2013 Volt and love it, however the weather won’t hold out forever in the Northeast so I’m planning for the worst and looking at winter tires. I have a nice set of Michelin X-Ice snow tires on alloy rims from my last car, the bolt pattern isn’t correct (5x114.3) but the tires are similar except for being 235 vs 215. Does anyone have any experience on if this would fit? I know it would throw off the speedometer a little bit but that doesn’t bother me, just worried about rubbing etc. I tried to do some searching and couldn’t find anyone in the same boat.

Thanks!
Tim

·
Registered
412 Posts
The bolt pattern is close enough. The pattern did change for the 2016 and newer cars. The offset may be the issue here that could cause rubbing. Things are pretty tight in the Volt wheel well. Might be worth jacking it up and seeing if they fit over the front calipers. If they do, you can likely find the offset of your existing wheels by looking them up on line and see how they compare to the standard Volt wheel. On our 2012, I went with 16s and use full size FWD Buick wheels.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I have the 215s on 17 inch steel rims, and they do rub the fender liners at full lock. So I avoid full lock, but there is not much clearance. It could be extra tread on the tire, or it might have something to do with the offset of the rims.

You'll only know for sure if you try mounting one or two.

Agreed, though, that the xIce3 is an excellent tire for any challenge a Southern Ontario winter shown us.

D

·
0 Posts
I have the 215s on 17 inch steel rims, and they do rub the fender liners at full lock. So I avoid full lock, but there is not much clearance. It could be extra tread on the tire, or it might have something to do with the offset of the rims.

You'll only know for sure if you try mounting one or two.

Agreed, though, that the xIce3 is an excellent tire for any challenge a Southern Ontario winter shown us.
That’s due to the backspacing of the aftermarket rims if they’re stock tires 215/55R17.

The equivalent diameter, an inch wider, is a 235/50R17. The 55->50 part is important because it keeps your overall tire diameter the same as the tire gets wider, it refers to a more “squashed” profile for a wider width but keeping the same height.

Metric sized tires seem to measure with section size being a priority, and Imperial is more concerned with overall diameter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts