GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to buy this 2017 Volt, but when I test drove it the screen below seemed odd to me. Should I see much better MPG? According to the dealer, the battery was replaced in December and it hasn't been driven much since then.

Energy Usage since last full charge

left side of screen:
306.2 Total mi
23.1 MPGe Combined
Lifetime 30.6 MPGe

right side of screen:
electric 9.9mi
13.6 kWh used
20.5 MPGe

gas 296.3 mi
12.8g used
23.1 MPG

cv2017.jpg

·
Administrator
20,462 Posts
How many estimated miles did a full battery charge show on the driver's display when you drove it?

Anyway, the miles you get depends on your driving style, tire inflation, outside temperatures, wet roads, cabin heating. You don't mention where you are located, but winter driving in general will affect car milage, particularly electric range. Getting in the low 30's for range in the winter is not unheard of.

Also, the displays will adjust based on recent driving history.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
That looks like it was "idled" with the electric heat going full blast. When I do this I see MPGe numbers in the low 30s.

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
It appears that the Volt was most recently only charged one time, the majority of the time it was driven using gas. If the vehicle had been repeatedly but only partially charged the total kWh shown would exceed the Volt's capacity of 14 kWh. While the Volt was not charged more than once someone definitely put additional gas in the fuel tank as the Volt's fuel tank only holds ~9 gallons and more than 12 gallons of gas were used (since the last full charge.) The low fuel message indicates the Volt has less than 1 gallon of gas in the tank.

In cold weather (below 35F) the gas engine will start automatically to provide warm engine coolant to warm the passenger cabin. If the Volt was taken on a number of short distance test drives then the engine never warmed up, further lowering the MPG when using gas. If the 2017 Volt comes with some remaining bumper to bumper warranty and the new battery pack is covered under the Voltec warranty I would not hesitate to purchase the Volt if the price is good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts