GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2018 Volt has about 22K miles on it. It runs fine, no oil light or service menu has ever popped up on the screen.
Is there a reason I should take it into my dealer before it hits 24K miles?

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Has the oil already been changed at least once?
When were the tires last rotated?
Replace cabin air filter at 22,500 miles.

·
Registered
117 Posts
YIKES! I'm all for extended OCI, but 22k miles, w/o an oil analysis, seems extreme, especially on the original oil.
Tires? I used to rotate RWD tires every 10k miles. FWD? Every 5k miles. Your tires will last much longer, and there's less chance of uneven wear/tread noise.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
YIKES! I'm all for extended OCI, but 22k miles, w/o an oil analysis, seems extreme, especially on the original oil.
Tires? I used to rotate RWD tires every 10k miles. FWD? Every 5k miles. Your tires will last much longer, and there's less chance of uneven wear/tread noise.
Are you forgetting it's a Volt? Mine has almost 50k miles on it, but only about 6k on the engine. At 22k I probably had 3k on the engine. I wouldn't really call that an extended oil change interval.

·
Registered
212 Posts
My guess would be - What does the Oil Life Display show? It starts at 100% and works lower. Take a look. If you don't use the ICE much, you may not need an oil change.
As I do several long distance drives using ICE, I'll probably get the oil changed for the second time when it displays 10%, but currently it is at 48%.

You will get a display when the oil needs changing and you have about 1000 miles to do it or get it done.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Oops...apply dope slap. Sorry about that. I've been driving Toyota/Ford hybrids...and a Leaf...
Of course, it all depends on how the OP is using his Volt.

How accurate is the Oil Life Display? Has anyone done a UOA after it has run down to zero?

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
The Gen 2 Volt's recommended oil and filter changer interval is 24 months unless certain driving conditions apply such as driving in areas with high humidity or where salt is used on the road surfaces in winter, then more frequent changes may be required.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
19% on the oil life. Rotate tires every 6K miles.
Is there anything that a dealer looks at prior to 24K miles that may need replacing?
I notice an od sound from the front end lately when I'm driving slow and turn hard to the right.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
At least once every 12 months:
Perform 12 point vehicle inspection.
Check, top off all fluids as needed.
Based on the vehicle VIN, apply any needed software updates to the vehicle.

The odd sound could be a bad wheel bearing (this is common problem with many vehicles.) Most often the right front wheel bearing fails due to the weight of the front of the vehicle bearing down (no pun intended) when making a right hand turn (most street turns in the US are right hand turns since we drive on the right.)

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
19% and close to 24k or two years is a good time to go. The dealer will likely think you are not looking after your car properly and will react similar to some posts here. It is part of being a volt owner. I average about 18 months now just because that is when I start feeling guilty for not supporting the dealer every 3 months.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
I waited 23 months before changing the oil and filter on my 2017 Volt. At ~15,000 miles I had driven less than 10% of those miles using the ICE. The Volt calculated the remaining oil life at 5%. Over this time, I made a point to always start and run the ICE for ~10 miles at least once every few weeks. The oil did not look discolored (I know that does not mean it did not need to be changed.) Until I checked the oil, just prior to the first oil change, I had never checked the oil level in my Volt. I knew there was no way the ICE could have used up even 1 quart of oil without seeing smoke at the tail pipe or oil drippings on the floor of my garage. My Volt's tires have been rotated, twice now, at 7,500 and 15,000 miles.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Take it in and get that free oil change and tire rotation. It was part of the purchase price so take advantage of it.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Check the owner's manual. They have what has to be done to keep up warranty. I do not feel any duty to keep the Chevy dealers in business. I do feel the front wheel bearings are the weak point on the car. Are they the same as the Cruze? Volt is a heavier car and would need heavier duty bearings to compensate.

·
Administrator
20,188 Posts
Check the owner's manual. They have what has to be done to keep up warranty.
This. I follow the owner's manual service schedule. Some dealers will want you to spend more than needed.

My oil gets changed every 2 years (the max), even though the oil life display has always been greater than 0%.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Check the owner's manual. They have what has to be done to keep up warranty. I do not feel any duty to keep the Chevy dealers in business. I do feel the front wheel bearings are the weak point on the car. Are they the same as the Cruze? Volt is a heavier car and would need heavier duty bearings to compensate.
I disagree with this. ALL dealerships survive on income from service, NOT sales. If service departments fail, dealerships close. This decreases competition.

I agree that poor service departments need to be called out and/or avoided. I've dealt with VW/Audi, Toyota, Honda, and now Nissan, Ford and Cadillac dealerships, since 1983. Quality of service has ranged from criminal to exceeding my expectations.

One thing that has worked for me: prior to any/every service, I greet the Service Director. I feel my relationship with him/her is critical to getting the right service advisor/tech to work on my car. I haven't had a dealership service problem in more than 15 years, adhering to this principal.

Sorry for the thread drift...

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
19% and close to 24k or two years is a good time to go. The dealer will likely think you are not looking after your car properly and will react similar to some posts here. It is part of being a volt owner. I average about 18 months now just because that is when I start feeling guilty for not supporting the dealer every 3 months.
I assuage that urge with letting them do the "put snows on, take snows off" dance, and whatever incidental breakage happens. They got to install a new 12v and replace a shifter handle since the winter galoshes came off.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Yes but I prefer to run the ICE every 3-4 weeks, if the ICE is not otherwise used, instead of every 6 weeks as per the Volt's EMM.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How many miles do I have, with this wheel baring sound, before the wheel falls off the car?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts