GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Through searching I've only found one thread regarding the size I want to run on our Volt. We're looking into the Advanti Racing HY Hybrid:

18x8 +35

And I've decided on running the Bridgestone Driveguard in a 225/50R18. I was hoping to see some pics of others running the same size (if any exist). I will post pics of our set up once it's all installed (should be done by next week).

:cool:

·
Registered
743 Posts
Have stock size Driveguards on our 2014. Love them. Better than stock in every way except for a 5-10% mileage penalty, which is well with it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have stock size Driveguards on our 2014. Love them. Better than stock in every way except for a 5-10% mileage penalty, which is well with it.
I saw your review on them. I'm glad you're pleased with them! I worked for Bridgestone for about 5 years so I'm a pretty firm believer in their products. Actually I liked their products even during my 4 years previous to that at Goodyear (shhhh!).

·
Registered
743 Posts
Gary,

In what ways do you consider them better? Quieter? Smoother ride? Handling? Traction? Anything else?

Thanks in advance.

KNS
Quieter, much so, as smooth although there might be a little following of pavement grooves, handling better, traction better, but a little MPG loss.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
these tires are taller than the OEM tires and might reduce your acceleration a bit, if that matters to you.
I am aware but it's of very little concern. The fact that the wheels and tires will be about 15lbs heavier than stock would make a bigger difference. The larger diameter will correct the inaccuracy of the speedometer. Also the slightly taller tire should mitigate the reduced range caused by the increased weight, though I'm not sure that actually applies to an electric motor/CVT combination.

Really, though, I just like the look of a slightly (0.6") taller OD tire. ;)

rdunniii said:
+35 on an 8" wheel is going to cause the rim to stick out about 15mm from the stock, if that is OK.
It is very okay! I've been in the tire industry for about 10 years and specialized in wheel fitments for about 7 of those years so I'm really familiar with wheel fitments. I like that slightly more flush look (not "hellaflush") to fill the wheel well.

I have no desire to lower the car which is why I want the wider, lower offset wheel and slightly taller tire to give it a more aggressive stance. Plus with this size we'll only be sacrificing .2" of sidewall vs. .5" if we went with the "more correct" 235/45R18.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Annnnd...

The order has been submitted. :D

Pics on Saturday once it's done!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
18x8 +35 Advanti Racing HY Hybris wheels wrapped in 225/50R18 Bridgestone Driveguard Run Flat tires:

As you can see the fitment is absolutely perfect. Brings the tires right out to the edge of the wheel well. No rubbing, and it raises the car .2" off the ground (yay less scraping?). Wife notices no change in ride quality over the stock 215/55R17 Assurance Fuel Maxes. We'll see if the range is effected (I'm anticipating about 2-4 mile drop in range).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Took the car to the Standford V. Army game yesterday (Wooo go Stanford!) and I felt like the tires were a little quieter than the Assurance Fuel Maxes. Wife still says she doesn't notice a difference, and she is the primary driver, but I drove it the 1300 miles home from Colorado and I think these new tires ride quieter, and no stiffer than the stock tires despite being slightly lower profile AND run flats!

Very satisfied.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Took the car to the Standford V. Army game yesterday (Wooo go Stanford!) and I felt like the tires were a little quieter than the Assurance Fuel Maxes. Wife still says she doesn't notice a difference, and she is the primary driver, but I drove it the 1300 miles home from Colorado and I think these new tires ride quieter, and no stiffer than the stock tires despite being slightly lower profile AND run flats!

Very satisfied.
Update:

After 2 weeks with the tires, we're still impressed. We have seen about a 10% drop in electric range. Calculated range was 38-39 miles before, now down to a consistent 35-36 miles. Very minor sacrifice for much improved handling and safety with the run flats.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts