GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This am I start my 2017 Volt and I see a little yellow icon with a wrench displayed in the lower right hand corner of the DIC and a warning message to have the Parking Brake Serviced. I shut off the car, waited and re-started it and after a few miles of driving the icon came back on.

When I got to work I tested the Electronic Parking Brake and sure enough it's INOP.

It's probably no big deal since I don't use it and I'll book an appointment with my dealer for a look see and will get the oil/filter changed and tires rotated (coming up on two years of ownership so good timing) but I was wondering if anyone has had a similar issue and what the fix was.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I have not seen this myself, but there is a Service Bulletin for the EPB. It may or may not apply to your Volt.

April 27, 2017 Manufacturer Communication Number: 17-NA-146

Summary:
This technical bulletin provides a procedure to check and repair possible damaged terminals at the EBCM or the parking brake actuators.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
T Square thanks for the info. After the service is complete I'll report back to close the loop on this for other's.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Over the years I have found that lack of use is sometimes a problem with parking brakes, so I use mine every time I park. Plus it’s likely better for the transmission and safer too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
^^^ditto^^^

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Called dealer, they are swamped next appt is next week, Tech said I can keep driving vehicle. Funny the E-Brake is working and no more MIL. I'll engage the E-Brake every time I park until I can get it to the dealer.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
since I posted this the error message has not come on again. I am using the e-brake almost every time I park now. Am betting it was caused from lack of use.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, Tom. Did you ever take the car in for the appointment or did you decide on the solution yourself?

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the feedback, Tom. Did you ever take the car in for the appointment or did you decide on the solution yourself?
Guess it was a "one time" glitch. Since I've been applying the e-brake daily, no more annoying MIL.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Always a good idea to use the parking brake under any circumstances. It's basically a backup in case the Park mechanism fails. And on Chevy's, it's even easier to do since you don't have to manually release it. It will release automatically as soon as you apply the accelerator.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I guy I worked with years ago came over to buy some leftover drywall after I had finished my basement. He never used the parking brake on his F-150 because they became rusted and didn't work well (a self fulfilling prophesy). He parked his truck in front (on a hill) and left it in gear like he always does. While we were talking inside he glanced out the window, shouted "Oh, ****!" and tore out of the house. His four year old son was asleep in it, woke up and started playing with the gear shift (just like Dad). He shifted into neutral and the truck rolled back down the hill eventually running into my neighbours house, shifting the corner off the foundation a few inches. Moral of the story, always apply your parking brake.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
How could a 4 year old reach reach the brake pedal, needed to shift the transmission out of park, and operate the shift lever?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Years ago could be many years ago. My 86 Silverado did't have brake-shift interlock.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Years ago could be many years ago. My 86 Silverado did't have brake-shift interlock.
Neither did my '94 Dodge.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
So the 4 year old is now 42 years old.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
It was 1980. Don't know what year the truck was. It would have been manual transmission. Was just playing at driving so was shifting gears like his Dad did. You didn't see many automatic transmissions back then on trucks. I personally didn't come across an automatic transmission until I was 20 when my Dad sold the farm and bought a new Ford Fairlane and I had been driving since I was twelve.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts